WiiM Pro use case and questions

ljimpel

My Pro will be arriving Friday. Here is my (intended) audio chain...

WiiM Pro ==> [Via Coax (or Optical??)] Chord Mojo 2 DAC ==> (via RCA) AMPAPA A1 TUBE AMP ==> Adam A5X Studio Monitors (powered)
OR ==> Sennheiser HD800S headphones

Questions:
1. I want the WiiM Pro to stream into my DAC "bit perfect-ly". Does that happen out of the box or are there settings involved?
2. Both my DAC and tube amp support Coax AND Optical. Is there a preferred choice between the two?
3. My Hires collection contains mostly FLAC and some DSD files. These are currently stored on my Plex Server. Can the Wiim Pro a) access them, b) pass them through in tact?
4. I saw where the Bluetooth capability is two-way. Does the WiiM Pro support AptX of any variety?

Newbie here so please be kind. If these questions are better served in a different category let me know.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
1. Well, all you need is EQ off and fixed volume (or setting it at 100%) over digital output. I don't remember if volume is fixed by default.
2. No difference for me.
3. I think that WiiMs cannot play DSD files.
4. No aptX unfortunately.

Are optical outputs from TV's going to eventually work as inputs into the Pro? Currently, the Pro doesn't like the signal from my Sony Bravia KD-43X85K. Being able to loop the tv through the Pro would be very convenient.

Are optical outputs from TV's going to eventually work as inputs into the Pro? Currently, the Pro doesn't like the signal from my Sony Bravia KD-43X85K. Being able to loop the tv through the Pro would be very convenient.
It should work. What audio format do you use on the TV output?

optical output from the tv. Before getting the Wiim Pro I was using a 3 to 1 optical splitter which worked fine but I was hoping to eliminate the splitter completely. When adding the optical input to the Pro, the audio levels are extremely low and within a few seconds of tv audio playback, digital drop outs start appearing which make the sound impossible to listen to. I've checked the settings on the tv and I believe everything is correct since it works fine with the optical splitter. perhaps a related item is that after selecting optical input on the Wiim Pro it will not stick. The input defaults back to wifi each time I return to the Wiim app.

They are working - I’m at this moment (in between messing around on my iPad) watching BBC iPlayer on a fire tv 4k max stick plugged into my 3yr old Samsung Frame TV feeding optical from that into my WiiM Pro and from that via coax into my amp. No lip sync issues, drop outs or any other issues. It’s been a while since I used the tv stick, so I did have to set the audio sync, as well as configuring my amp‘s coax input for video delay, but no different had I been using any other video device. It works well for me…

Last edited:
optical output from the tv. Before getting the Wiim Pro I was using a 3 to 1 optical splitter which worked fine but I was hoping to eliminate the splitter completely. When adding the optical input to the Pro, the audio levels are extremely low and within a few seconds of tv audio playback, digital drop outs start appearing which make the sound impossible to listen to. I've checked the settings on the tv and I believe everything is correct since it works fine with the optical splitter. perhaps a related item is that after selecting optical input on the Wiim Pro it will not stick. The input defaults back to wifi each time I return to the Wiim app.

Can you verify what is the audio format on your TV output? Is it PCM or something else? Apart from the audio delay it should work when connected to the Pro input.
Did you try another optical cable?

Do you have input autosensing enabled in Pro?

thanks for the info @Brantome. Glad to hear it works for you. It definitely doesn't work in any combination for me. The audio levels are barely audible and there's digital dropout. I'm using PCM output from the TV.

thanks for the info @Brantome. Glad to hear it works for you. It definitely doesn't work in any combination for me. The audio levels are barely audible and there's digital dropout. I'm using PCM output from the TV.
Submit a ticket to WiiM thru the WiiM app and they may be able to analyse your log file and hopefully suggest a solution.

Can you verify what is the audio format on your TV output? Is it PCM or something else? Apart from the audio delay it should work when connected to the Pro input.
Did you try another optical cable?

Do you have input autosensing enabled in Pro?
PCM audio output from the TV. Have tried multiple cables. Have tried Autosensing on and off.

PCM audio output from the TV. Have tried multiple cables. Have tried Autosensing on and off.
Did you try to connect Pro to the TV through your toslink switch?

Does to switch back to WiFi input even if your TV is turned off?

Did you try to connect Pro to the TV through your toslink switch?

Does to switch back to WiFi input even if your TV is turned off?
I tried using the optical switch into the Wiim Pro optical input and that too does not provide a usable signal. I've submitted a ticket and so hopefully the logs will reveal the source of the issue.

I'm going from the TV optical out to my DAC (Gustard 16) opt in which has volume control and it works fine. I'm skipping the Wiim for the tv (2 channel).

I was able to fix the issue but there's other bugs associated with passing optical audio from a tv through the Wiim Pro including audio sync drift. The bugs need to be worked out more before this is a real feature that can be used with confidence.

Back