Amazon HD

browncow

Hello just set up my mini yesterday. Android phone to mini on WiFi, mini to DAC via optical and DAC into amp.

I have Amazon Music HD. If I play ultra high res files through amazon on the WiiM app the sample rate is maintained. But if I play from the amazon app itself then the files are played at sample rate of 44kHz

Is this normal or can I do something different in settings? I would prefer to use the amazon app if possible

You need to enable the amazon music hd/UHD toggle in both the Alexa and Amazon Music categories in the WiiM home app. It wouldn’t hurt to check in the amazon music app itself that you’ve set the wifi quality to the highest too.
Edit:the amazon music app uses “AlexaCast” to cast to a device, so that’s why you need to link Alexa in the Wiim app, as well as toggling on hd/UHD there too

Bingo! That worked in turning on HD in Amazon Alexa. Thanks for the help

2 other questions....is it worth upgrading the optical cable from the mini to DAC from the one supplied?

Anyway to play Neil Young Archives on WiiM?

Re the cable, not really. If it works, then best left as is - you can’t improve on bit perfect by using a different cable.

Re the Neil Young archives, what software and platform do you currently use to play them?

Thx

Re NYA either from a PC USB cable to the DAC or from an ipad via airport express (though now I can do airplay to mini)
Via laptop is great but a wireless solution without loss of sound quality would be better

Thx

Re NYA either from a PC USB cable to the DAC or from an ipad via airport express (though now I can do airplay to mini)
Via laptop is great but a wireless solution without loss of sound quality would be better
What about iPad into USB DAC via camera converter kit cable? That will get you 24/96 but not mean you have to have PC on.

Otherwise you could try Stream What You Hear on PC but I think you may then be limited to 16/44.1

What about iPad into USB DAC via camera converter kit cable? That will get you 24/96 but not mean you have to have PC on.

Otherwise you could try Stream What You Hear on PC but I think you may then be limited to 16/44.1
You need to upgrade to a receiver with a 192kHz capable input. That way you can say “Gosh darn it, I hear a difference because I just spent all that money.”😁

You need to upgrade to a receiver with a 192kHz capable input. That way you can say “Gosh darn it, I hear a difference because I just spent all that money.”😁
My Pi plus USB DAC is capable of 32/768 or something ridiculous like that which my ears can’t even hear but I’d love to have the money to purchase something really really expensive to prove once and for all that it’s my ears at fault and not the equipment!

My Pi plus USB DAC is capable of 32/768 or something ridiculous like that which my ears can’t even hear but I’d love to have the money to purchase something really really expensive to prove once and for all that it’s my ears at fault and not the equipment!
In all seriousness, the biggest “wow, that’s really better” moment came after going through AKM, Sabre, TI, and AD DACs to finally get a Bifrost2 multi bit DAC. Maybe because I started with an early 80’s CD player that most certainly was R2R and I always thought… why does my old CD player sound so much better than my later D/S DAC CD players.

In all seriousness, the biggest “wow, that’s really better” moment came after going through AKM, Sabre, TI, and AD DACs to finally get a Bifrost2 multi bit DAC. Maybe because I started with an early 80’s CD player that most certainly was R2R and I always thought… why does my old CD player sound so much better than my later D/S DAC CD players.
This might amuse - from 2007 by Sean Adams the founder of SlimDevices

Back