Hans YouTube review from Friday

@harkpabst 100% agree with you. i was simplifying my ideas trying to be brief. i was drawing our attention the the more ignored part of the "equation" of sound reproduction... i never meant to claim that timing is more important than accuracy frequency response (in fact i belive the opposite is true, clearly because what you alluded to - the cochlea is a frequency detection apparatus). what is missing from routine measurements done by the so called scientific side of audiophile literature is the role of the pinna in the equation. it's the exact reason why no headphones can replicate the realistic stereo imaging of a proper loudspeaker setup. this is because the sound waves aren't allowed to be shaped by the pinna and middle ear apparatus - that's why listening to headphones always sounds like the sounds are inside our heads or just outside the ears... because the brain is missing localising information from the summation of neural information it's getting from the auditory nerve. (i, and many others believe that smearing of this stereo image can occur because of timing issues in the DAC that can be caused by common mode or differential mode interference in the chain).

i also agree 100% that my shoddy level of A/B testing doesn't account to something worthy of publishing results formally in a scientific paper. but, due to limitations, i can't test all the hypotheses i have to that level. i mean, marie curie did not discover radiation by diligent, directed, formal investigations. she stumbled upon an interesting set of observations, and then formalised the study of it. if you want to be pedantic about it - the reason why mine and Hans' line of thinking is ultimately truly scientific is because we are proposing falsifiable hypotheses that can be disproven with the kind of rigorous experimentation you are talking about.

what i'm proposing is some sort of method for detectnig timing accuracy - just spitballing here - for example maybe a setup with two extremely sensitive mics set up far apart (opposite each L-R channel) and a central mic + each clocked with a picosecond-accurate timer (all within an anechoic chamber). then we hook up all the heavy hitter streamers to the rig - from budget golden oldies like google chromecast audio, Wiims, bluesounds, cambridge audio all the way up to a $900k fully quantum shielded™️ streamer from @Tweaker 's basement... and then measure the differences in the waveforms in the time domain.

once again, i agree that yes indeed i may not know what is causing a reproducible audible difference due to a change made in a system. but the reason it's scientific once again is because i'm trying to understand the limitations of the current approaches we have to understand SQ, the way the ear-brain axis works, and finally possibly lead to a point of enlightenment where we can make the subjective observations more objective.

sorry for the long-winded rant, just trying to be complete this time so my points are not misunderstood. i think you'll find that we have way more common ground than you'd think ;)

Last edited:
What is the theory in the background and how he falsified it?
if you listen closely to his videos (maybe not in this one specifically) but the reviews of streamers in general. he tries to come up with explanations for the differences in what is audible... i never said he falsified them himself, i'm just saying that the ideas themselves are potentially falsifiable. cos we have tools already maybe that can be used in an innovative way to explain these phenomenon 🤷‍♂️

if you listen closely to his videos (maybe not in this one specifically) but the reviews of streamers in general. he tries to come up with explanations for the differences in what is audible... i never said he falsified them himself, i'm just saying that the ideas themselves are potentially falsifiable. cos we have tools already maybe that can be used in an innovative way to explain these phenomenon 🤷‍♂️
Let's think about a theory "Mini and Pro digital outputs are giving exactly the same results". And Hans delivers a proof that he can distinguish these devices using his ears solely. Is the theory falsified? Yes, it is.
But, there is another theory "Mini on its digital output has lower jitter than the Pro". It can be falsified again with the proper equipment to analyze phase noise or time related fluctuations. Did he provide results? No, he just says about listening impressions.

Let's think about a theory "Mini and Pro digital outputs are giving exactly the same results". And Hans delivers a proof that he can distinguish these devices using his ears solely. Is the theory falsified? Yes, it is.
But, there is another theory "Mini on its digital output has lower jitter than the Pro". It can be falsified again with the proper equipment to analyze phase noise or time related fluctuations. Did he provide results? No, he just says about listening impressions.
look, i understand what you are saying. the video in itself doesn't prove anything... (after all his audience is youtube - not a scientific journal) but it's these kind of observations and formulation of theories that end up kicking off a series of discoveries that can translate the subjective things we hear into easily repeatble measurements. is it not?

Last edited:
I've found a really good practice is to sit down with music I love in my system and listen to it. Then I ask myself, "is anything missing?" and the answer is always no. I enjoy the music. It sounds excellent. It makes me happy to listen to it. Chasing the micro-"improvement" that you'll never actually pay attention to once it's in your system is a true waste of joy.

I've found a really good practice is to sit down with music I love in my system and listen to it. Then I ask myself, "is anything missing?" and the answer is always no. I enjoy the music. It sounds excellent. It makes me happy to listen to it. Chasing the micro-"improvement" that you'll never actually pay attention to once it's in your system is a true waste of joy.
Yeh true, in fairness audio equipment has gotten so good at everything recently that it's easy to lose perspective and forget that to receive WiiM-level performance even 5 years ago was unheard of under like €500+... (even if you gauge performance on what you hear alone and not the measurements)

But it's also easy to forget about what got us here in the first place. Which is a drive to understand the variables that affect SQ better. :unsure: Some of us I guess enjoy the pursuit... 🤷‍♂️ And I don't knock anyone that doesn't.

if anyone's interested, it's not just audiofools like me tweaking in their basements that are talking about stuff like this. Here's a talk given by Rob Watt (of Chord Electronics and creator of many great products like the Hugo, Chord etc) just a few days ago at CanJam.

Notice how the people involved in the bleeding edge of industry are kinda talkin the way i am. they are willing to use any and all tools available to them - including THEIR EARS!!! 🤣 crazy how they might be an important part of the equation. 🤔

in the future when they come up with reliable measurements for things like soundstage depth and off-axis performance. then maybe people will understand. until then - we plough on, unpeturbed! 🤠

Yeh true, in fairness audio equipment has gotten so good at everything recently that it's easy to lose perspective and forget that to receive WiiM-level performance even 5 years ago was unheard of under like €500+... (even if you gauge performance on what you hear alone and not the measurements)

But it's also easy to forget about what got us here in the first place. Which is a drive to understand the variables that affect SQ better. :unsure: Some of us I guess enjoy the pursuit... 🤷‍♂️ And I don't knock anyone that doesn't.
True and I don't mean to knock anybody. That's just been my personal experience with it.

Hans basically says wiim is crap
5 out of 10 with the plus vs mini
Blames it on the .25 cent crystal clock
Is ok to the price
But in my 5k to 10k system I want more ! Enjoyment
Anyone compared the eversolo streamer /dac ?
I don't mind paying 895 for upgrading.
Just saying .. but is it ?
My buddy had the EverSolo unit, the first one. He sold it after purchasing the WiiM Pro +. He put a good power supply on the WiiM and has not looked back. He is using the GD Audio R8 DAC/Preamp, PS Audio DAC/Preamp and a variety of amplifiers, Fosi ZA3 Mono Blocks, (He loves these stupid little amps!) Deer Creek Hypex, PS Audio, Parasound, Bel Canto, etc... His house looks like a high end HiFi shop. The speakers in his main listening area are the Fritz Carbon... He knows Fritz, Fritz built these especially for my friend. His basement setup is even more extravegant, a pair of Tyler Acoustic Woodmere's, $12,000 at the time he purchased, Tyler personally delivered them. More amps down there, a few on furniture dollies... Yes, a WiiM fan.

My buddy just texted me, he was talking to Fritz today, talked him into purchasing a Fosi ZA3 amplifier. This should be interesting! ;-)

also, yeah,
My buddy had the EverSolo unit, the first one. He sold it after purchasing the WiiM Pro +. He put a good power supply on the WiiM and has not looked back. He is using the GD Audio R8 DAC/Preamp, PS Audio DAC/Preamp and a variety of amplifiers, Fosi ZA3 Mono Blocks, (He loves these stupid little amps!) Deer Creek Hypex, PS Audio, Parasound, Bel Canto, etc... His house looks like a high end HiFi shop. The speakers in his main listening area are the Fritz Carbon... He knows Fritz, Fritz built these especially for my friend. His basement setup is even more extravegant, a pair of Tyler Acoustic Woodmere's, $12,000 at the time he purchased, Tyler personally delivered them. More amps down there, a few on furniture dollies... Yes, a WiiM fan.

My buddy just texted me, he was talking to Fritz today, talked him into purchasing a Fosi ZA3 amplifier. This should be interesting! ;-)
haha, wow it must be so cool to know some industry bid dogs personally! :LOL: i love those extravagant audiophiles that try/own everything on the market. usually the ones i end up learning a thing or two from...

keep us informed about what he things of the Fosi ZA3!

Some helpful suggestions from the cheaper range.

View attachment 6122
how dare you post misinformation on this thread!?? 😡 i've tested these in my system and the cheese sounds the best - expansive soundstage like you're in the middle of a lush, green meadow in the hills!! WAY better than a copper slug, i promise!! :LOL:

@silverfoxvtx1800 which fuse, mains power cable and DC cord did you end up choosing? 👀

how dare you post misinformation on this thread!?? 😡 i've tested these in my system and the cheese sounds the best - expansive soundstage like you're in the middle of a lush, green meadow in the hills!! WAY better than a copper slug, i promise!! :LOL:

@silverfoxvtx1800 which fuse, mains power cable and DC cord did you end up choosing? 👀

I upgraded the same fuse and cables Hans did..

Back