Amazon HD versus Tidal Connect

Pcryan5

Major Contributor
I am looking at Amazon to replace Tidal. Is it accurate that Amazon does not support HD streaming via WiiM Mini unless it is to a Amazon Studio device? (I use Devialet)

thanks!
P

Amazon has far better sound quality than tidal and far worse app then tidal.
I have both atm, and find myself using Tidal far more often for just that reason (app)!

As for the original question, you can cast from the Amazon app to the Wiim at the track's native resolution, i.e. up to 192, but you need to set the UHD switch in the Wiim home app - the Amazon Alexa Settings option in the device settings.

Last edited:
Who is Phil, and does he help you find good music.;)

But more seriously, I also find that Amazon isn't as good as Tidal at suggesting /playing new (to me) music.

I have both atm, and find myself using Tidal far more often for just that reason (app)!

As for the original question, you can cast from the Amazon app to the Wiim at the track's native resolution, i.e. up to 192, but you need to set the UHD switch in the Wiim home app - the Amazon Alexa Settings option in the device settings.

I believe that applies to Amazon devices only? I use Devialet. (Which I love love love 😂)

As the Wiim team have confirmed in a thread here somewhere, there is no difference between using Amazon within the Wiim app or casting from the Amazon app - both will play files at up to 192, as long as you've chosen UHD in the Alexa settings and have not restricted your Wiim's output resolution.

I am looking at Amazon to replace Tidal. Is it accurate that Amazon does not support HD streaming via WiiM Mini unless it is to a Amazon Studio device? (I use Devialet)

thanks!
P
Not at all - quite a few things mixed up here. The WiiM Mini is an Amazon Music 'renderer'/player in the same vein as a Studio, and Amazon Music can be cast from the Amazon Music app to the WiiM mini as you would to an Echo Studio (or indeed any other Echo) but they're separate devices with no interdependencies. While it's true that Echo Studios (and Echo Link/Amp iirc) do support 24 bit UHD, all echo devices support 16 bit lossless HD. As well as from the Amazon Music app, WiiM can also play Amazon Music up to 24/192 from the WiiM app itself.

The Amazon Music app seems very slow both on iOS and Android. Unless I am missing something, there is no ability to queue a track on Amazon Music, which is a shame as I'd like to use it for the higher bitrate.

Haven't tested the sound between the two as the app is a deal breaker.

Unfortunately amazon has a bug for some time now: find option in android app doesnt work at all. They confirmed that issue but do nothing with that. Also there is a limit of playlists in wiim home and amazon will not allow to load more than 100. This is main issue for me as it is the only way to add complete albums to favorites in amazon.

Still don’t see an issue…

Attachments

• DA6486D6-F693-4746-B8E7-11FF6BD93A2A.png
    DA6486D6-F693-4746-B8E7-11FF6BD93A2A.png
    411.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 2BCDB14F-235C-4628-84DF-FF21A2AC7BD3.jpeg
    2BCDB14F-235C-4628-84DF-FF21A2AC7BD3.jpeg
    547.2 KB · Views: 16
Back