Analog Output - Static - Solved!

Jb09

Hi,

I was trying to use the Aux output from a WiiM Mini into a JBL Partybox 310 so I could get Wi-Fi audio (AirPlay) but was getting noticeable higher frequency static from the speaker. I tried setting the WiiM to 500 mVrms (which reduced it significantly) and setting the volume to fixed, but that wasn’t enough to eliminate the issue. The PartyBox speaker specs say its Aux port sensitivity is 250 mVrms. Can this be solved? I’m trying to avoid Bluetooth for latency reasons (I am syncing sound with Apple TV video). Thank you for your help!

Hi,

I was trying to use the Aux output from a WiiM Mini into a JBL Partybox 310 so I could get Wi-Fi audio (AirPlay) but was getting noticeable higher frequency static from the speaker. I tried setting the WiiM to 500 mVrms (which reduced it significantly) and setting the volume to fixed, but that wasn’t enough to eliminate the issue. The PartyBox speaker specs say its Aux port sensitivity is 250 mVrms. Can this be solved? I’m trying to avoid Bluetooth for latency reasons (I am syncing sound with Apple TV video). Thank you for your help!
After A LOT of reading, turns out the issue was a ground loop resulting from powering the WiiM from the usb port on the speaker. I tried everything but changing the power source, crazy! Hope this helps someone else!

Sounds reasonable!
I was using a powerboard with usb ports in my office setup, and every time I plugged in my phone to charge it, there was a hissing noise coming through the speakers.
Just unplugging the phone from the usb cable, and leaving the cable plugged into the powerboard, fixed it.
Shonky Apple product... :)

Back