Aux in to Airplay

metroiss

I am trying to connect a record player through aux in and send the audio over airplay to a Bose soundbar. When i try to send the auto in the WiiM app it looks like i can only send it to SPDIF or Bluetooth. I'd rather use airplay and not bluetooth if possible.

Is it possible to send Aux in to Airplay?

Hi Metroiss, WiiM Mini is not AirPlay 2 transmitter, only AirPlay 2 receiver. You can get another WiiM Mini and connect this to your Bose soundbar then group the two WiiM Mini to send your record player to your Bose soundbar.

Hi Metroiss, WiiM Mini is not AirPlay 2 transmitter, only AirPlay 2 receiver. You can get another WiiM Mini and connect this to your Bose soundbar then group the two WiiM Mini to send your record player to your Bose soundbar.
Wow really? i wish you were more clear about that. In the existing literature it doesn’t state this explicitly like you just did. instead wording is more vague like just listing “AirPlay 2” among other features. On your website for the mini it says:

Build a wireless multiroom system can never be easier. You can group it with other Airplay 2 speakers, Alexa enabled devices or another WiiM Mini to have a synchronized audio experience
That makes it sound like you can sync AirPlay 2 devices like you would with another mini in the app. I actually went and bought an Apple AirPort Express to use for this purpose and have not been able to get it to work. I have looked At the docs and asked on forums but until now I never got a direct answer like this. You should state this explicitly in your ad copy and docs going forward. I guess I have to buy another mini to do what a was hoping the airport express would do.

Wow really? i wish you were more clear about that. In the existing literature it doesn’t state this explicitly like you just did. instead wording is more vague like just listing “AirPlay 2” among other features. On your website for the mini it says:

That makes it sound like you can sync AirPlay 2 devices like you would with another mini in the app. I actually went and bought an Apple AirPort Express to use for this purpose and have not been able to get it to work. I have looked At the docs and asked on forums but until now I never got a direct answer like this. You should state this explicitly in your ad copy and docs going forward. I guess I have to buy another mini to do what a was hoping the airport express would do.
I’m sure that’s been discussed on the audiosciencereview forum‘s Wiim mini thread a while back…

Edit: See
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-mini-streamer.31182/post-1161093

Admittedly a while ago and buried in a very long thread, but not unknown to many of the regular contributors here

This wasn't clear to me either.

I have an AirPlay (only) receiver from IKEA and would like to connect my record player. It seems the Wiim mini won't work. Is there a possibility that such a feature can be added in an update?

I’m sure that’s been discussed on the audiosciencereview forum‘s Wiim mini thread a while back…

Edit: See
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/wiim-mini-streamer.31182/post-1161093

Admittedly a while ago and buried in a very long thread, but not unknown to many of the regular contributors here
I didn’t realize I was supposed to be up on the message boards of a website I’ve never heard of until now. I’ll check them out but they still doesn’t address that their feature lists is unnecessary vague. They could have said “airplay 2 receiver” rather than “airplay 2” and that would make it more clear that it’s not an AirPlay 2 streamer.

When a non-Apple device is said to be Airplay compatible, that almost always always means as a receiver as transmission seems restricted to a very small number of devices viz. “all iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, and Mac models from late 2012 or after running the latest version of their operating system. In addition, you can also use AirPlay on iTunes for Windows, but that’s the extent of its Windows support. All these are essentially sender devices, meaning they can initiate a stream or mirror from them to a receiver device.“ There may be some exceptions to that I.e. some third party companies who have licensed the ability to transmit airplay, but none come to mind.

See the “Which devices support Airplay?” section in this link: https://www.xda-developers.com/airplay/

For example, I have a Linn MDSM/4 which also supports Airplay 2, but I wouldn’t expect it to send a stream to another airplay device.

When a non-Apple device is said to be Airplay compatible, that almost always always means as a receiver as transmission seems restricted to a very small number of devices viz. “all iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, and Mac models from late 2012 or after running the latest version of their operating system. In addition, you can also use AirPlay on iTunes for Windows, but that’s the extent of its Windows support. All these are essentially sender devices, meaning they can initiate a stream or mirror from them to a receiver device.“ There may be some exceptions to that I.e. some third party companies who have licensed the ability to transmit airplay, but none come to mind.

See the “Which devices support Airplay?” section in this link: https://www.xda-developers.com/airplay/

For example, I have a Linn MDSM/4 which also supports Airplay 2, but I wouldn’t expect it to send a stream to another airplay device.
Ok but that’s still asking the user to know stuff that would be unnecessary if then documentation for the Wiim added 1 sentence. And do you really expect majority of users to know that it’s common to use airplay to me only and it supports receiving a stream? Are use Apple products all the time I don’t really use airplay to that often, but I do know about all the concepts and I work in the computer industry and I didn’t assume that just the word airplay 2 meant only that it supports receiving airplay stream and nothing else.

The amazon listing for the WiiM Mini has this as its first paragraph in “About this item”: “AIRPLAY 2 RECEIVER - WiiM Mini turns your stereo into an AirPlay 2-enabled speaker to stream the music that you love from iOS and Mac devices or stream TV audio from Apple TV. It’s an easy and affordable way to connect your Apple devices to your favorite audio equipment and upgrade to an AirPlay 2 receiver.”

Similarly, the WiiM Pro product name states “WiiM Pro AirPlay 2 Receiver, Chromecast audio, WiFi Multiroom Streamer, works with Alexa, Siri and Google assistant, Stream Hi-Res Audio from Spotify, Amazon Music, TIDAL and more”

So both product descriptions say they’re receivers - do they really need to add that that means they’re not transmitters?

I can use Bluetooth to connect to a jbl speaker, which supports airplay. I’m unsure exactly how to use airplay and connect that way. I have an option for aux if my computer charges as well

Back