Better clarity on app and FW update.

wol-shiver

Hello,

Thank you for making and maintaining this product, I enjoy it.

I have a suggestion, it is two fold

1) When the app updates, have a pop up upon application opening showing release notes - in settings there should be an option to turn on or off. Most of us do read the Google play release notes, but I believe your ecosystem should have its own notification within the app upon first time opening following an update. An app that does this is universal audio player pro, I enjoy this feature, it keeps me further abreast of the latest information particularly with auto updates on.

2) The app should send a push notification indicating a FW update is available and is ready for download/install/please restart your wiim. Today I lost access to my wiim pro for 15 minutes and I didn't know why.

Turns out my wiim pro was updating. I believe the app should send a push notification and upon opening the app there should also be a fw update notification.

Ultimately I believe the app should be more transparent about its update release notes along with separate release notes for FW update. I am aware we can go check in the app for release notes, but it lacks automation and notification of updates, particularly with regards to FW.

Thank you again for this feature rich, in depth and comprehensive product.

Thank you and happy new year.

Last edited:
I always disconect Wiim mini from power and relocate in another room,what if i turn of the power in the middle of firmware update and i personally did nor press update button and I don't have in mind that in that time mini was updated without my knowledge,the unit will brick?

I came to find this out. I dont want auto update, it's too hard to tell if its updating and you turn it off half way. What about flashing the status light during an update?

I came to find this out. I dont want auto update, it's too hard to tell if its updating and you turn it off half way. What about flashing the status light during an update?
Hi Silly-Ring,

It's a great idea and I'll raise this with our team. Hopefully we can improve it shortly. Thank you!

Hello,

Thank you for making and maintaining this product, I enjoy it.

I have a suggestion, it is two fold

1) When the app updates, have a pop up upon application opening showing release notes - in settings there should be an option to turn on or off. Most of us do read the Google play release notes, but I believe your ecosystem should have its own notification within the app upon first time opening following an update. An app that does this is universal audio player pro, I enjoy this feature, it keeps me further abreast of the latest information particularly with auto updates on.

2) The app should send a push notification indicating a FW update is available and is ready for download/install/please restart your wiim. Today I lost access to my wiim pro for 15 minutes and I didn't know why.

Turns out my wiim pro was updating. I believe the app should send a push notification and upon opening the app there should also be a fw update notification.

Ultimately I believe the app should be more transparent about its update release notes along with separate release notes for FW update. I am aware we can go check in the app for release notes, but it lacks automation and notification of updates, particularly with regards to FW.

Thank you again for this feature rich, in depth and comprehensive product.

Thank you and happy new year.
Thank you Wol-shiver for bringing this up. I think the notification on the WiiM App and the specific LED indicator on the device (suggested below by Silly-Ring) will help. We'll improve this shortly. Please stay tuned!

Auto update should be OPT-IN. I prefer not auto update and only update when I need to update.

Did like the pop screen in new firmware that listed what was fixed.

Thank you Wol-shiver for bringing this up. I think the notification on the WiiM App and the specific LED indicator on the device (suggested below by Silly-Ring) will help. We'll improve this shortly. Please stay tuned!
Wow! That was fast! Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230119-211001.png
    Screenshot_20230119-211001.png
    384.3 KB · Views: 59
That’s a newer firmware version than the ‘whitelisted’ I have.

Wiim team, maybe another idea besides the led flashing for notification.

Maybe the wiim app can push a notification to phone indicating an update is available and installing ? Not sure if possible.

Thanks for the great work.

Wiim team, maybe another idea besides the led flashing for notification.

Maybe the wiim app can push a notification to phone indicating an update is available and installing ? Not sure if possible.

Thanks for the great work.
Hi Wol-shiver, yes it's feasible. Right now, the App will push a notification when it finds the new update or has completed the update. However, we miss one case if the device happens to be in the middle of updating. I agreed with you the push notification for this case is very important.

That’s a newer firmware version than the ‘whitelisted’ I have.
If you’ve elected to be on the whitelist, you’re opting out of regular public updates and will need to wait till the next beta version is available. You can ask to be taken off the whitelist if you want regular updates

Hey @WiiM Support and @WiiM Support

Love the new FW upgrade arrow!!

Think we can also get a push notification to yhe phone ?

Maybe wake from idle, push, go back to sleep!

Amazing work and than you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230317-021127.png
    Screenshot_20230317-021127.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
I just got my Wiim a few days ago. The software works well with the Wiim hardware and made setup simple and hassle free playing from a HUGE DNLA serve. I wish the Wiim Home App would rotate to landscape mode, though . .my tablet is going to fall over if I'm not careful. Auto rotation is standard on nearly every Android app. Very pleased with the sound!

I just got my Wiim a few days ago. The software works well with the Wiim hardware and made setup simple and hassle free playing from a HUGE DNLA serve. I wish the Wiim Home App would rotate to landscape mode, though . .my tablet is going to fall over if I'm not careful. Auto rotation is standard on nearly every Android app. Very pleased with the sound!
Hi Fredio,

I appreciate your suggestion. Our team is working on the landscape mode for Android devices (It's been supported on iOS). We plan to release it by the end of June. Please stay tuned!

Hi Fredio,

I appreciate your suggestion. Our team is working on the landscape mode for Android devices (It's been supported on iOS). We plan to release it by the end of June. Please stay tuned!
Thanks! Your reply was unexpected and welcomed. I enjoy using the Wiim mini , and am really happy with the preamp and useability to tailor the sound.

Last edited:
In the meantime, you can use an app like Rotation Control.

Would like to re-highlight this piece of wol-shiver's original request.

I've had this same experience a few times over the past year I've had WiiM's -- suddenly a WiiM player stops responding to audio commands (won't join a group, won't play a stream, etc.) and there's no indication what's going on. I try rebooting it, but it still won't respond. (I've probably worsened the situation by rebooting, since the update may need to restart). Finally I give up and go do something else, and then discover next time I open the WiiM app, that the device has been updated (by virtue of the popup that lists the enhancements and bug fixes, which is a fine feature).

So: would be nice to have an indication in the app, and/or a push notification, that an update is in process.

Thanks.

So: would be nice to have an indication in the app, and/or a push notification, that an update is in process.

Thanks.
I would like to see an option to defer updates until a predetermined time window, and if set, the WiiM would automatically update and reboot if necessary in that time window. In my case, between 4-5 AM. Next time I start the WiiM I would get a notification that my device was updated. That would smooth out managing my 7 WiiM Pros.

Back