Bitrate display for ALAC through DLNA

ninekit

Dear Wiim and community,

Playing through DLNA, why is bitrate for apple lossless files always show 1411 kbs? Not quite right as I expect a smaller number from the compression.

Thanks,
ninekit

That looks like CD quality 16/44.1 - what DLNA server software are you using, perhaps it’s transcoding to WAV?

Thanks for the quick response. I have tried 2 DLNA server,
a. the netgear R8000's built-in DLNA server which is super primitive and I don't think it has capability to convert m4a to wav before it is served to the Wiim. Same Server serving flac is showing a smaller than 1411 kbps which totally up to my expectations.
b. foobar2000 UPnP, configurated not to decode to wav for m4a and flac, same as above, flac bitrate displayed in Wiim home app < 1411 kbps whileas m4a shown constant 1411 bitrate. In addition, checked the network throughput using windows resource monitor shown the m4a streaming's bitrate is mostly 900 kbps suggesting it is not decoded. Checked the same way to stream uncompressed CD quality WAV shown throughput to be at 1.4Mbps, again all behaved up to my expectation. it is just the Wiim home app display.
Apologies for the long winded reply.

On the contrary, thanks for the info :)

It might be worth raisin a ticket thru the feedback section in the Wiim home app - it’s not beyond the bounds of possibility that there’s a bug in how WiiM handles the display such files, or perhaps it can’t extract the bitrate so just multiples the bit depth and sample rate.

Back