Bitrate out to ext DAC

FerengiROA

Major Contributor
Having had the Pro for about a week, now, I have a question about outputting to a Schitt Modi 3+.
Before I got the DAC, I ran the Pro into an Onkyo AVR, using coax output. Also tried optical and heard no difference. Was getting 24/192 on either cable.
After installing the DAC, I noticed that anytime I had a playlist with different bitrate/resolution tracks, there would be a single loud pop as soon as the next track began. I researched and found out that this is common on different quality tracks, especially if using an external DAC. The Pro without the DAC did not do this.
So, my solution was to set the Pro Home settings to max output at 16/44.1 into the DAC which eliminated the pop. Honestly, at 57 and listening to the types of music that I like and not having a high-end, revealing system, I can't hear a difference between CD quality and Hi-Res. System is a spare bedroom setup with an Onkyo TX-NR6050 and JBL 580 towers and Emotiva center and Elac side surrounds. Mixed-use of 50/50 music and video.

Question is this: Since I am only outputting CD-quality to the DAC, should I only add CD -qualty tracks to my playlists? Basically eliminating the need for the Wiim DAC to down-sample before it reaches the MODI DAC? Or, does it make no difference as the MODI will handle the input, anyway.

Thanks for any thoughts you all have.

BTW, I love the Pro as, so far, the streaming has been flawless and bug-free, unlike the AVRs built-in apps. Also, the Home app is much better than I expected.

Last edited:
I had similar issue with the latest FWs but I'm on a special build since yesterday and the issue is gone. There is a chance it will fix your issue as well, you can ask support to get your device whitelisted for the beta build, or just wait for a new FW when it's released.

Another option to try is to adjust a sample rate switching delay on the digital output, you can do that in the WiiM app.

"Another option to try is to adjust a sample rate switching delay on the digital output, you can do that in the WiiM app."

Is that the latency settings up to 3000ms? I did try various values but the issue remained. But, thanks for the reply and the FW suggestion. Wasn't sure if it was the Wiim or the DAC that was responsible.

Should also add that I am on the latest FW.

Back