Blue Jeans Cable SPDIF optical cable works at 24/96 but not 24/192 kHz. Anyone know why? WiiM cable works at 24/192 kHz

hoppy

See title. I have a brand new 1m optical cable from Blue Jeans Cable. It works on 24 bit / 96 kHz but not 24/192 when I play music on Amazon Music HD or the test audio in the WiiM Home app. The only way I can get 24/192 is with the included WiiM optical cable.

UPDATE: actually, I bought 2 of the 1m optical cables from Blue Jeans Cables and I tried both, neither of them works at 24/192, only at 24/96 (and lower). I tried it with either both connectors, thinking maybe one connector might work if the other doesn't even though a cable shouldn't be "directional". Even though they are new, I cleaned the tip with a lens cloth and they still don't play at 24/192. What's interesting is that I had the same problem with a Monster Cable optical cable. It worked only up to 24/96. I thought this was because it was an older cable but this seems to be a recurring pattern with non-WiiM cables.

I also have a new 3m Bluejeans coaxial cable and that cable does work at 24/192. The connector fit is tight into the recessed coaxial in jack in the Pro, but the cable connectors does fit all the way in.

I'd like to get the optical cable to work because I need the coaxial port in my DAC for my CD player.

Seems weird that a "high quality" optical cable will not work at 24/192. The optical cables aren't totally dead because they do work at lower rates, just not 24/192. Any ideas why?

Last edited:
I had the same issue with an Audioquest Cinnamon optical cable. Thought it was bad. I tried some other ‘inferior’ cables that did work at 192/24. Bought another AQ Cinnamon. It worked at 192/24.

So I cleaned the tips on the connectors on the first AQ Cinnamon, bingo! Started playing at 192/24.

I had the same issue with an Audioquest Cinnamon optical cable. Thought it was bad. I tried some other ‘inferior’ cables that did work at 192/24. Bought another AQ Cinnamon. It worked at 192/24.

So I cleaned the tips on the connectors on the first AQ Cinnamon, bingo! Started playing at 192/24.
Thanks, appreciate the tip. It's a brand new cable, but I tried to clean the jacks. Still didn't work at 24/192 although it does work at 24/96. Just for kicks, I plugged it in the opposite way (meaning that I put the plug that was in the WiiM into the DAC, and the plug that was in the DAC I put into the WiiM), but it still didn't work.

The cable is obviously not a total dud because it works at lower resolutions.

How did you clean it? I just cleaned mine on a clean cloth.

Yep, lens/glasses cloth. Reach out to Bluejeans and see if they can recommend a liquid product to clean with. You might also blow out the optical receptacles on both units. Maybe a dust bunny in the way?

A lot of users here seem to have problems with optical out on the WiiM Pro. I have the same problem too. It's probably an issue with the optical
transmitter in the WiiM Pro. I also have WiiM Mini and have zero problems with the optical output. I tried 3 different optical cables ( included the one that comes with the Pro) and all 3 were not working well with the Pro ( no 24/192 at all and even stuttering with 24/96). I tried the same 3 cables with the optical out on the Mini and all 3 worked perfectly ( 24/96 and 24/192). Obviously I used the same DAC and source in both cases.

Yeah, a number of sites will tell you that no matter what you do, don't use a normal (50 ohm) analog interconnect for a digital (75 ohm) coax connecion.
Not got a wiim pro, but on another couple of pieces of kit:
What can I say... my admittedly not particularly cheap, nor ridiculously expensive, analog interconnect sounds just as good as a recently purchased, similarly priced digital interconnect.
Both were hugely better than whatever analog interconnect I happened to find lying around and use when I first connected them up.

Last edited:
Yeah, a number of sites will tell you that no matter what you do, don't use a normal (50 ohm) analog interconnect for a digital (75 ohm) coax connecion.
Not got a wiim pro, but on another couple of pieces of kit:
What can I say... my admittedly not particulalry cheap, nor ridiculously expensive, analog interconnect sounds just as good as a recently purchased, similarly priced digital interconnect.
Both were hugely better than whatever analog interconnect I happened to find lying around and use when I first connected them up.
It's a matter of resistance, but I personally think it's a small difference in a short distance. And I'm using it because it works normally among the cables I have. I'm glad.

Hi, if I remember rightly the original spec for toslink cables was to be able to carry 24/96, some can do more now company's are building optical inputs that support 24/196. I suppose some just can't.

To connect the Pro to my Topping D50s i have used this cable

OEHLBACH NF 113 DI 50 - Cavo Cinch Audio Digitale - Cavo coassiale S/PDIF di alta qualità, schermatura multipla, 75 Ohm - 0,50 m - blu​

it fit perfectly in the COAX Out of Pro and is 24/192
I asked about coax cables not fitting in the Pro, and the guys of Linkplay replied to me that they did a lot a lot of tests with cables of different costs and prices and that only cables with very fat pins were not suitable.

To connect the Pro to my Topping D50s i have used this cable

OEHLBACH NF 113 DI 50 - Cavo Cinch Audio Digitale - Cavo coassiale S/PDIF di alta qualità, schermatura multipla, 75 Ohm - 0,50 m - blu​

it fit perfectly in the COAX Out of Pro and is 24/192
I asked about coax cables not fitting in the Pro, and the guys of Linkplay replied to me that they did a lot a lot of tests with cables of different costs and prices and that only cables with very fat pins were not suitable.
“Coax cable” sounds just boring. “Cavo Cinch Audio Digitale” sounds just beautiful, like it goes 200 mph and comes in Ferrari Red.😁

Back