Crippled Funny PC app for Wiim Mini

That is not true.
LMS is a very very stable piece of software and has plugins that will do 100s of things - most which I don't use but some I do.
You'll note I was talking specifically about UPnP, and for that MinimServer is MUCH more configurable. Happy to provide some screenshots if you'd like?

I would agree that BubbleUPnP is very good and I would give that a "gold standard" for UPnP but I have yet to find any UPnP server that comes close to what LMS does and I have tried most.
Again, I was talking about UPnP, I did ask if they'd use anything other than UPnP.

It is the queue management of LMS/Material and the cross platform nature that beats all of its rivals IMHO. Material is the same on iOS, Android, Windows, Mac or Linux.
If that's important to you, but personally I use BubbleUPnP on a phone/tablet and foobar (which looks better than both) on a PC.

AFAIK, BubbleUPnP only runs on Android. That's hardly a "gold standard". The Material Skin runs in a browser, so will run pretty much anywhere, from my iPhone to my Chromebook.
I meant that it's the best, not that it's available on every OS. I agree that there's not much choice on iOS, apart from Lumin maybe.

If you are comparing MinimServer to the UPnP/DLNA Media Interface of LMS then yes. I am on record as saying that the LMS UPnP interface is as bad as any other UPnP server's.

IF I was going to use UPnP inside my network then I might choose MinimServer or Asset but neither compares to LMS in native mode.

I use Foobar2000 for adding replaygain to Vinyl Rips but I have experiemented with it as a controller. It's Ok but that's all. LMS with material is much more usable.

Anyway.
The point of this really is that the WiiM Home App can't do all of the things that people would like it to and that you really need to use some kind of server in your network for local file playback and if you do you need a better controller than the WiiM app.

Edit
Apart from seeing what's what I really haven't used the WiiM app for anything other than set up.

If you are comparing MinimServer to the UPnP/DLNA Media Interface of LMS then yes. I am on record as saying that the LMS UPnP interface is as bad as any other UPnP server's.
I'm talking about the My Music section on the Material theme.
I've added a lot of additional indexes for things like "Release Type" (from musicbrainz), but I can't find how to add additional indexes.
I also like to see Album Artist albums sorted (and displayed) with YYYY - Album, but I don't see any real customisation of that. In MinimServer you can configure how you want it displayed, personally I have it as "%Date% - %Album% (%RELEASE%)"
Is there any way to add custom artwork, in MinimServer I can customise everything from the initial index selection screen to all the entries contained therein.
It also appears you don't support SUBTITLE, which is a very common tag, let alone DISCSUBTITLE.
I could go on.

I get that it's a tinkerers dream, I'm just not sure that the WiiM community is the right audience, especially when you recommend it to posters who just want to "stream FLAC files from a local NAS to my living room amp", there are better and simpler solutions.

That being said, I applaud everyone involved for keeping it alive.

Apart from seeing what's what I really haven't used the WiiM app for anything other than set up.
I am surprised that so many people had such high expectations of the app, if I were producing the WiiM I would have had a helper app to set it up then relied on native apps for the rest, it is after all an endpoint, and the WiiM app is never going to be able to compete with the native apps. It would be amazing though!

When someone says "stream FLAC files from a local NAS to my living room amp" I’d suggest what they really mean is “easily find and stream FLAC files from a local NAS to my living room amp"
As discussed to do this you need a music server of some kind and a means of controlling it other than the app.
LMS is an option and I thought that was all I had said.

When someone says "stream FLAC files from a local NAS to my living room amp" I’d suggest what they really mean is “easily find and stream FLAC files from a local NAS to my living room amp"
As discussed to do this you need a music server of some kind and a means of controlling it other than the app.
LMS is an option and I thought that was all I had said.
If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

This thread had me in stitches!

I can certainly see the appeal of LMS, and d6jg does a fine job of "selling" it in many threads.
So much so that I'm tempted to give it a whirl, although I need to find somewhere to install it as I don't think my nas runs docker.

On the other hand, I installed free minimserver on my nas, and aside from the minor issue with having to restart it on a schedule so it refreshes its metadata (i.e. finds changes to my files / tags), using this with bubbleupnp on android to cast to the wiim is easy and has pretty much all the functionality I need. Easy search, random tracks / albums, (random) play artist, good queue management.

I sometimes miss the ability to see lyrics when streaming my own files - wonder if the LMS lyrics source is better than the often woefully incorrect lyrics I see on streaming services?

On the other hand, I installed free minimserver on my nas, and aside from the minor issue with having to restart it on a schedule so it refreshes its metadata (i.e. finds changes to my files / tags), using this with bubbleupnp on android to cast to the wiim is easy and has pretty much all the functionality I need. Easy search, random tracks / albums, (random) play artist, good queue management.
Just in case you didn't realise, you can actually inititate a rescan in BubbleUPnP from the Libraries section.

Just in case you didn't realise, you can actually inititate a rescan in BubbleUPnP from the Libraries section.
I didn't know that, no.
Looking now... is it obvious? I see a Reload option, but didn't assume that forced a rescan in the nas.

I didn't know that, no.
Looking now... is it obvious? I see a Reload option, but didn't assume that forced a rescan in the nas.
The Reload is on the Library tab, and forces BubbleUPnP to refresh the tree indexes.
From the section where you choose your library (usually on the Devices tab), if you click the vertical ellipsis next to MinimServer (or whatever you've named it) you can choose 'Rescan library'.

This thread had me in stitches!

I can certainly see the appeal of LMS, and d6jg does a fine job of "selling" it in many threads.
So much so that I'm tempted to give it a whirl, although I need to find somewhere to install it as I don't think my nas runs docker.

I sometimes miss the ability to see lyrics when streaming my own files - wonder if the LMS lyrics source is better than the often woefully incorrect lyrics I see on streaming services?
Lyrics are pretty good these days as long as your tagging is accurate

Lyrics are pretty good these days as long as your tagging is accurate
I tried to install this today to see how it was implemented, but trying Song Lyrics or the dependent plugin Song Info did nothing.
When I added the Material Skin plugin I got the message 'Changes will take place at the next application restart. Please click here to restart the server now.', but there wasn't a message or any type of progress bar. I clicked on More Info and it took me to a site that looked to be someones project repository, but when I clicked on the Goto Download link that's associated with their squeezebox plugins it timed out.

I tried to install this today to see how it was implemented, but trying Song Lyrics or the dependent plugin Song Info did nothing.
When I added the Material Skin plugin I got the message 'Changes will take place at the next application restart. Please click here to restart the server now.', but there wasn't a message or any type of progress bar. I clicked on More Info and it took me to a site that looked to be someones project repository, but when I clicked on the Goto Download link that's associated with their squeezebox plugins it timed out.
Those 2 plugins are obsolete. Try Music & Artist Info

Those 2 plugins are obsolete. Try Music & Artist Info
I should have added the restart depends on which platform you are installed on but once running Material gives you a common option for this.

Back