Dirac

Wiim was able to get licensed from tidal mqa as well as implementing amazon without much of an issue of cost. This will benefits many who believe on room correction.
The difference is that Tidal and Amazon are trying to get paying customers for their streaming services, so it would be silly of them to impede that by charging for the "privilege". Dirac, on the other hand, makes its money strictly through licensing, so in their case it would be silly of them to allow OEMs to use their product without charging every penny of what the market can bear.

Wiim was able to get licensed from tidal mqa as well as implementing amazon without much of an issue of cost. This will benefits many who believe on room correction.
I think WiiM would only have needed a Tidal licence if they had done the second unfold - I think the first unfold is purely in software. As for Amazon, I’m not aware of any licences for their API as it enables use of their subscription music service, so they get reimbursed indirectly.

I don't believe it's that costly for the device developer to get a DIRAC SDK and implementation support, but it is an expense for every end user that choses to purchase a Dirac calibration license for each device they own. I believe that's the business plan for DIRAC, push devices at a slight cost, earn from licenses on each device directly from consumers.

As always it will take time away from WIIM devlopers implementing and perfecting other features though, so it does have a cost.

Some sort of room correction in WIIM would be nice though (apart from a manual EQ) like FIR or IIR.

and dont forget..roon !!!:cool:

and make coffee..see grind it...!
"""""what else?"""

This wouldn’t work in an optical only signal path. Has optical in but not out. Would also add to cable vomit. Would much rather just have Dirac in the wiim mini

More Info here:

"DIRAC Ready" is the free tier for developers. ARM source code is available for the two components needed: the "DiracIO server" that runs on the device and communicates over uPNP with the universal measuring/cloud processing application, and the "Filter Runtime" which contains the actual real time audio processing code.

Might be possible on the Pro as it has a beefier quadcore ARM and 512MB ram and flash, but the mini only has dual core and 128MB ram and flash. Still not a simple plug and play thing, it needs a lot of work to optimise to the full audio chain and minimise latency, etc

Still DIRAC is nice because you can pipe into their universal measure app, and use their cloud processing platform to get the impulse responce, only the two small components (IOserver and filter runtime) has to be implemented in the device.

Most implementations I have seen are limited to 96khz sample rate (192kHz is downsampled) and corrects 20Hz-20kHz

Last edited:
Cost doesn’t matter to me if Wiim implement it. What matters if Dirac will make me wow or my jaw dropped. My experience on Audyssey and ypao was not wow factor.

and dont forget..roon !!!:cool:

and make coffee..see grind it...!
"""""what else?"""
More Info here:

"DIRAC Ready" is the free tier for developers. ARM source code is available for the two components needed: the "DiracIO server" that runs on the device and communicates over uPNP with the universal measuring/cloud processing application, and the "Filter Runtime" which contains the actual real time audio processing code.

Might be possible on the Pro as it has a beefier quadcore ARM and 512MB ram and flash, but the mini only has dual core and 128MB ram and flash. Still not a simple plug and play thing, it needs a lot of work to optimise to the full audio chain and minimise latency, etc

Still DIRAC is nice because you can pipe into their universal measure app, and use their cloud processing platform to get the impulse responce, only the two small components (IOserver and filter runtime) has to be implemented in the device.

Most implementations I have seen are limited to 96khz sample rate (192kHz is downsampled) and corrects 20Hz-20kHz
Awesome
- sounds like it might be possible 🤞🏾

Back