Display screen for WiiM pro

Jdamberger1

Is it possible to have a display screen like a mini LCD screen, attached to the WiiM to view Artist and song titles etc. While streaming. If so, how? I know you can use an echo show in a group, but I am talking about an option that does not use an Amazon show device.

Not attached to the WiiM as it doesn't have any kind of video connection, but there are a couple of github projects that display what's playing by intercepting the stream but these require, say, a Raspberry Pi, a suitable screen and a certain amount of IT know how.

Have you considered using a small android tablet or Ipad to run another copy of the WiiM app which would provide such a display?

Yes, I have thought of using a tablet. But looking for a way to intercept the stream using the method you referenced, a raspberry pie DAC and IPS mini LCD screen. Can you point me to a method please?

I've actually moved on from that first attempt to the HDMI version, which doesn't require a specific display:

Really hope WiiM could provide native support for external HDMI. Without which, RPi is really not only an option because of lack of supply. I still couldn’t get one despite months in waiting list.

Anyone knows of a good source for the Inovato Quadra box in Canada?

Really hope WiiM could provide native support for external HDMI. Without which, RPi is really not only an option because of lack of supply. I still couldn’t get one despite months in waiting list.

They’re just an Android tv box. I got a T95 box, the Quadra distro booted right up. Only certain ones will work, a few are listed on the Inovato site.

You’ll need to wait till WiiM release another device for hdmi support…

You’ll need to wait till WiiM release another device for hdmi support…
Or they can enable display / monitor support using a slightly tweaked Wiim App in "display" mode?

While at it, add VU meters that would be really cool!

Or they can enable display / monitor support using a slightly tweaked Wiim App in "display" mode?

While at it, add VU meters that would be really cool!
Would be a bit tricky to put VU meters on a remote control app that the datastream doesn't traverse...

Yeah, ”feature requests” like this suggest to me the OP has invested in the wrong device...
sorry, I can't see the connection between simply making a request and the conclusion that someone has bought a "wrong" device.

Making a feature request certainly doesn't stop anyone from still enjoying the device, no? Please help me understand. Thanks.

Would be a bit tricky to put VU meters on a remote control app that the datastream doesn't traverse...
Does "tricky" mean technically impossible? Does datastream not pass through Wiim device's built-in DAC?

Does "tricky" mean technically impossible? Does datastream not pass through Wiim device's built-in DAC?
It doesn't pass through the WiiM App...

It wouldn't be technically impossible, if you don't mind a huge amount of data being pushed to the app on your phone or tablet constantly while music plays, but I don't see it as feasible. A display on the WiiM Pro would be able to accomplish this easily.

It doesn't pass through the WiiM App...

It wouldn't be technically impossible, if you don't mind a huge amount of data being pushed to the app on your phone or tablet constantly while music plays, but I don't see it as feasible. A display on the WiiM Pro would be able to accomplish this easily.
Thanks for the elaboration.

Based on this, I think the best options are we wait until Wiim releases a new version with screen (HiFi Rose concept) or use an external device like Inovato Quadra to take advantage of HDMI.

@cc_rider does the Quadra support HDMI touch screens and touch functions?

I subscribe to Amazon music. Seeing it on a screen is just a matter of using a Fire device. I like using my phone or tablet for the WiiM.

So I tried sideloading the WiiM Home app on my Chromecast with Google TV. The results are.. well, interesting ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It only shows in portrait orientation and navigation doesn't work with the remote buttons so you need to connect a mouse/touchpad to show a cursor & emulate touch input. Weirdly enough, the (custom) launcher is still shown behind the app.

Far from ideal, but maybe an idea for the future @WiiM Team to have an Android TV compatible version of the app - for those who like to show a player with album art on the big screen.

PXL_20230222_000101494.jpg

Last edited:
Back