Double CD not playing in correct order

UweM

Hello,
I noticed that any albums which consist of more than one CD are not playing in the correct order. First is played the first track from the first CD and than the first track from the second CD (followed by the first track from the third CD ... ). After that the second tracks are played. It worked before, I think.
Does anyone else have this problem? I'm playing my music from a Volumio DNLA server. The files are in the correct order on the disk.

Best regards,
Uwe

Hello,
I noticed that any albums which consist of more than one CD are not playing in the correct order. First is played the first track from the first CD and than the first track from the second CD (followed by the first track from the third CD ... ). After that the second tracks are played. It worked before, I think.
Does anyone else have this problem? I'm playing my music from a Volumio DNLA server. The files are in the correct order on the disk.

Best regards,
Uwe
Just getting started with my WiiM Pro and see the same behavior using jRiver as my server. It appears that the WiiM app ignores the disc number/total # of discs fields in the tags.

My workaround at present was to edit the tags to eliminate the multi-disc settings and renumber the tracks on so the track numbers are sequential top to bottom. Somewhat tedious, but that did work.

It should be displayed in the order the music server sends it, and it looks like it does for indexes and when displaying lists of albums but not for track listings within an album.
Technically it should be fixed, but fortunately there are better options out there.

In my case, track order within an album is correct, but the issue is albums with more than one disc where the rips are tagged for disc# and total # of discs. That seems to be ignored in the WiiM app. The order displays correctly in jRiver, and on my Pono DAP, and IIRC, iTunes/Music handles it correctly.

Yep appears to be sorting by tracknumber then title, not what's delivered.

I think most people - for UPnP at least - are using the WiiM app to configure their mini's/pro's and then using another UPnP control point for browsing/playing. Good options are BubbleUPnP and H-Fi Cast...or anything else really ;)

Fairly common upnp issue where the client grabs the list from the server which is correct and sorts it alphabetically by file name hence you get all track 1’s first

I think most people - for UPnP at least - are using the WiiM app to configure their mini's/pro's and then using another UPnP control point for browsing/playing. Good options are BubbleUPnP and H-Fi Cast...or anything else really ;)
lmao

On ripping multi disc albums generally. I rip all such CDs into a single album folder making sure that discnumber is correct but having once got caught out when the same title appeared in the same place on 2 discs and “Tracktitle 2.FLAC” from disc 1 disappeared because it had been overwritten by Tracktitle 2.FLAC from disc 2 I now ensure that file names are in the format %discnumber%-%trackno%-%title%. %trackno% is 2 digit with leading zeros. This gets round the track overwrite issue and also ensures that the files are listed inside the folder in the correct order which also helped a number of upnp players to get things in the correct order.

Hello,
first, thank you all for your help!
The files are named %discnumber-%tracknumber %title, so if the filename is taken for the playing oder, it should still be right.
The Wiim app seems to take a mixture of tags or partially the tags for playing order. I think I will open a formal ticket and hope.
Thank you all.

The files are named %discnumber-%tracknumber %title, so if the filename is taken for the playing oder, it should still be right.
The Wiim app seems to take a mixture of tags or partially the tags for playing order.
I set all tracks of a double album to track 1 and the order the tracks were presented in was that of title.

I don't think WiiM even sees the filenames from most servers as most abstract that information in order to be more compliant to problem renderers. If you're going to raise a ticket just make sure it's for using the order that the data is delivered in, because your media server should be responsible for setting it.

I set all tracks of a double album to track 1 and the order the tracks were presented in was that of title.

I don't think WiiM even sees the filenames from most servers as most abstract that information in order to be more compliant to problem renderers. If you're going to raise a ticket just make sure it's for using the order that the data is delivered in, because your media server should be responsible for setting it.
That is poor.

It seems to be a problem with multi disc albums only as I have just looked on my WiiM Mini at a few single disk albums randomly (served by LMS in UPnP Media Interface mode and also by a Buffalo LinkStation's built in UPnP server) and the tracks are in the correct order!

That suggests that the tracknumber is used in a logic that says "open folder, get all tracks listed by track number tag, then sub sort alphabetically by title tag". If you were testing this code against multi disk albums where you put each CD in its own folder this would work but I don't know many people who opt for this artist/album folder approach.

As you know I have largely been testing the Mini as an LMS endpoint and until now hadn't really seen how poor the app interface is for UPnP. There are lots of sorting issues. DJ, for example, is listed before Da whereas Dj sits in the correct place ("Django Django") and in order to find "Derek & The Dominos" (the deluxe version is a multi disc release that I knew would show the issue) it took me pages and pages of scrolling as the search function doesn't work. Artists with names such as "Little Joe" Frenchwood - obscure I know - are listed before anything else.

I wouldn't be able to use the WiiM App in conjunction with a UPnP server. It would drive me nuts.

I tried mConnect Lite (as I am iOS). It is a little better - "Little Joe" and DJ are in the right place but Derek & The Dominos still showed the tracks from the 2 discs incorrectly.

These are the sort of reasons why I never persisted with UPnP after I found LMS about 15 years ago.

That suggests that the tracknumber is used in a logic that says "open folder, get all tracks listed by track number tag, then sub sort alphabetically by title tag". If you were testing this code against multi disk albums where you put each CD in its own folder this would work but I don't know many people who opt for this artist/album folder approach.
I don't know if you're just talking logically, but WiiM never "opens a folder", all the metadata is delivered to the WiiM app in XML from the server. You can put most servers into a trace like mode and see exactly what's being sent. If you want I can grab an example if you can't do it from LMS?

As you know I have largely been testing the Mini as an LMS endpoint and until now hadn't really seen how poor the app interface is for UPnP. There are lots of sorting issues. DJ, for example, is listed before Da whereas Dj sits in the correct place ("Django Django")
I tested this a little bit yesterday and indexes (assuming that's what you're talking about) seemed to be ok, so I think that must be how it's coming from LMS. Easiest way to test would be to use BubbleUPnP to browse LMS.

in order to find "Derek & The Dominos" (the deluxe version is a multi disc release that I knew would show the issue) it took me pages and pages of scrolling as the search function doesn't work.
Good music servers have the ability to add an alphabetical grouping index e.g. if you select Artist it will first present A-Z, and once you've made a selection it will present all artists beginning with the chosen letter. MinimServer is an excellent example here because you can configure when to show that grouping stage e.g. Only show the A-Z index if when selecting the Artist index more than XXX artists are returned, other servers I believe are all or nothing (if they offer it at all).

I wouldn't be able to use the WiiM App in conjunction with a UPnP server. It would drive me nuts.

These are the sort of reasons why I never persisted with UPnP after I found LMS about 15 years ago.
Fortunately with UPnP you have options; if you don't like the control point use another, likewise for servers :)
I've got to assume WiiM/Linkplay know this, and that's why the UPnP UI has never progressed in the years they've been making UPnP control points.

I tested this a little bit yesterday and indexes (assuming that's what you're talking about) seemed to be ok, so I think that must be how it's coming from LMS. Easiest way to test would be to use BubbleUPnP to browse LMS.
Not LMS per se. The "Little Joe" & "DJ" sorting issues are only visible in the WiiM App. Not in mConnect or VLC (I don't have an Android available to use BubbleUPnP at present).

VLC actually managed to show the multi disc tracks in the correct order. So again its not LMS - its the sorting implementation in the WiiM app and also mConnect Lite

1679310704450.png

Good music servers have the ability to add an alphabetical grouping index e.g. if you select Artist it will first present A-Z, and once you've made a selection it will present all artists beginning with the chosen letter. MinimServer is an excellent example here because you can configure when to show that grouping stage e.g. Only show the A-Z index if when selecting the Artist index more than XXX artists are returned, other servers I believe are all or nothing (if they offer it at all).

I do appreciate that but I'm used to a simple A-Z side list and one tap gets me to "D" or use of a search facility to go directly deeper into "D"
I have a rather large library > 50k tracks so navigation has to be spot on.

Fortunately with UPnP you have options; if you don't like the control point use another, likewise for servers :)
I've got to assume WiiM/Linkplay know this, and that's why the UPnP UI has never progressed in the years they've been making UPnP control points.

I agree. They must know this and if I were them I wouldn't invest much time trying to improve things in this area but I think I would have some kind of answer for people who surface the issue.

Obviously it really doesn't matter to me in the slightest. Until this issue I had hardly looked at the WiiM App in relation to UPnP servers. I saw it could see them and that was about it.

Not LMS per se. The "Little Joe" & "DJ" sorting issues are only visible in the WiiM App. Not in mConnect or VLC (I don't have an Android available to use BubbleUPnP at present).
That's strange it looks fine to me.
ArtistSort.jpg
Most of those artists just come from compilations I'm using to test with, I don't have their albums!

I've got to admit, I hate displaying Artist but sorting by ArtistSort, in MinimServer I just index the ArtistSort tag - although I struggle equally when displaying names in a grid display (left to right then down), so it could just be me.

I do appreciate that but I'm used to a simple A-Z side list and one tap gets me to "D" or use of a search facility to go directly deeper into "D"
Some control points have A-Z like BubbleUPnP, but that only works if the index is in sorted order (unlike our Artist example above), that's why music servers also offer that functionality.
With LMS, much like PlexAmp and others that are tied to a back end they can pretty much do what they want, like offer A-Z of the underlying list order.

I agree. They must know this and if I were them I wouldn't invest much time trying to improve things in this area but I think I would have some kind of answer for people who surface the issue.
They should have a sticky post about UPnP. It would certainly cut down on the forum posts.

That's strange it looks fine to me.
View attachment 571
Most of those artists just come from compilations I'm using to test with, I don't have their albums!

I've got to admit, I hate displaying Artist but sorting by ArtistSort, in MinimServer I just index the ArtistSort tag - although I struggle equally when displaying names in a grid display (left to right then down), so it could just be me.

Some control points have A-Z like BubbleUPnP, but that only works if the index is in sorted order (unlike our Artist example above), that's why music servers also offer that functionality.
With LMS, much like PlexAmp and others that are tied to a back end they can pretty much do what they want, like offer A-Z of the underlying list order.

They should have a sticky post about UPnP. It would certainly cut down on the forum posts.
That is weird.
Perhaps because you clearly use ArtistSort tags whereas I made a deliberate decision to accept that David Bowie would be a D not a B and have no ArtistSort tags in my collection at all. (I'm glad I did because the Online Music Library Integration that now exists in LMS (and some other servers) would always put Bowie under D anyway).

Off topic. "Liitle Joe" Frenchwood - which I thought was a bit obscure - is from This is the Blues Vol. 1, a British blues compilation from about 2010. There are 4 volumes I think and across the four there are some very rare tracks by artists I like.

Sorting artist names by the last name is nonsense anyway, because they mostly are, well, artist names and not real names. When I want to listen to David Bowie then I don't think of Mr. Bowie, David, but David Bowie, which by the way is not a real name but a artist name and therefore a fixed expression. I always thought, especially in stores, that this kind of sorting is ridiculous and just proves that those people there don't know what they do.

Sorting artist names by the last name is nonsense anyway, because they mostly are, well, artist names and not real names. When I want to listen to David Bowie then I don't think of Mr. Bowie, David, but David Bowie, which by the way is not a real name but a artist name and therefore a fixed expression. I always thought, especially in stores, that this kind of sorting is ridiculous and just proves that those people there don't know what they do.
I wasn't intending to start a debate as I recognise that there are two probably equally valid approaches. Both have pros and cons.

Back