Home Music Server showing songs in Albums with multiple discs sorted incorrectly

RoyalScam

Let's see if I can describe this properly...

My UPnP/DLNA server of choice is Logitech Media Server, running on MacOS, with the "UPnP/DLNA Media Interface (v1.0)" plugin activated - which allows "Logitech Media Server" to appear in the WiiM iOS app under Home Music Server.

When I choose Home Music Server > Logitech Media Server > Music > Albums in the WiiM app, then choose an album that is a 4 disc box set like Citizen Steely Dan, I am seeing the tracks in the WiiM app as follows:

Disc 1, Track 1
Disc 2, Track 1
Disc 3, Track 1
Disc 4, Track 1
Disc 1, Track 2
Disc 2, Track 2
Disc 3, Track 2
Disc 4, Track 2
etc...

What I should be seeing - and what I AM seeing in the Logitech Media Server web app - is as follows:

Disc 1, Track 1
Disc 1, Track 2
Disc 1, Track 3
Disc 1, Track 4
etc...

Is that a bug in the WiiM app that needs to be addressed, or something I need to change in the Metadata or folder hierarchy?

For what it's worth, I don't think the issue is with Logitech Media Server, because I tried using Universal Media Server instead, and it appeared in the exact same incorrect order in the WiiM app.

Screenshots are attached showing how I view the box set in LMS's web app, and how it appears in the WiiM app.

LMS for WiiM 1.pngLMS for WiiM 2.jpeg

Have you tried using the UPNPBridge plugin and use LMS as your control point playing to the WiiM rather than using the WiiM app to access LMS? Works very well and you get the full LMS interface with music info etc as required.

Have you tried using the UPNPBridge plugin and use LMS as your control point playing to the WiiM rather than using the WiiM app to access LMS? Works very well and you get the full LMS interface with music info etc as required.
I have not, yet, but I’ll give it a shot I guess. I had a rough time trying to get the Bridge to work with other renderers, like my Onkyo receiver, so the thought of trying it again gives me the shivers.

I was hoping the WiiM app would allow me to avoid all that fiddling around.

I have not, yet, but I’ll give it a shot I guess. I had a rough time trying to get the Bridge to work with other renderers, like my Onkyo receiver, so the thought of trying it again gives me the shivers.

I was hoping the WiiM app would allow me to avoid all that fiddling around.
WiiM do have a native squeezelite client on their roadmap but when that might arrive is anyone’s guess.

I must admit to a bit of hair pulling installing the latest upnpbridge on piCorePlayer on my Raspberry Pi, but I’m understanding LMS a bit better as time goes by so I think I know what to backup for regression purposes ;)

Setup on my Windows 11 PC was a lot more straightforward it must be said, but I am more familiar with that than the Pi.

Use MP3Tag to make sure that the files are properly tagged with metadata, specifically disc number. What I typically do is add all the files and renumber them and rename to track#_filename

I often have to edit the track and disk number directly in Plex which I'm using as my server and that always fixes it on the Wiim

I am on MacOS, and use Metadatics for tagging, which I'm pretty anal about.

In my case above, Track # ___ of ___ and Disc # ___ of ___ are all set properly. So, that's not the issue.
Check it on Plex in addition to MP3Tag. For some reason even when my stuff seems properly tagged, there are often some blank fields in Plex

Check it on Plex in addition to MP3Tag. For some reason even when my stuff seems properly tagged, there are often some blank fields in Plex
I won't be installing Plex anytime soon (not a fan). I guess maybe I'll check MP3Tag on demo, but what does it do differently than Metadatics? Nothing I can see.

I think most of us LMS users are using the UPnP bridge plugin approach instead. LMS combined with the Material UI plug-in will avoid this problem and is just miles ahead of trying to use the WiiM app UPnP controller. There’s been some recent issues with updates to the plug-in and WiiMs UPnP implementation, but if you use the latest dev channel version the developer is actively working around the WiiM issues for us. I don’t think the plug-in you’re using is active anymore - it was done by Logitech just before they left the building.

I think most of us LMS users are using the UPnP bridge plugin approach instead. LMS combined with the Material UI plug-in will avoid this problem and is just miles ahead of trying to use the WiiM app UPnP controller. There’s been some recent issues with updates to the plug-in and WiiMs UPnP implementation, but if you use the latest dev channel version the developer is actively working around the WiiM issues for us. I don’t think the plug-in you’re using is active anymore - it was done by Logitech just before they left the building.
I don't believe the non-Bridge UPnP plug-in was done by Logitech, unless "Andy" the creator was a Logitech employee.

That plug-in has served me well over the years, "just working" when the Bridge would give me fits. If WiiM gave as much love and attention to the WiiM Home app as they do to their firmware, it could be all I need. My needs are quite meager.

All that said, I'll grab a sedative and try the UPnP Bridge one more time. Which version(s), Alpha or Beta, is working properly with WiiM Mini at the moment? And what settings need to be changed? (I'm running LMS 8.2.0 on MacOS Mojave, if that matters.)

Thanks in advance.

I’m pretty sure the story on Andy’s plug-in is it was to prep for Logitech to expand the Music Server to a Media Server for new devices before they gave up. I believe he released it after the fact. I used to be a squeezebox retailer in New Hampshire and Key West. It’s the story we heard.

The only thing that everybody seems to agree on with UPnP is that it’s a universal mess.😁

The bridge setup is actually quite easy. If you already have it installed, check version. If it’s 2.1.11 or 1.8.2 you’re good to go. Enable it and in the plug-in settings all defaults work for a WiiM. Select max bit rate to the appropriate setting for your gear. If the version is 2.1.12 or 2.1.13 then add the developers dev channel URL to plug-in settings in LMS - the address is in the UPNP bridge post on the slim devices 3rd party software forum. Install 2.1.13.3 and follow the previous setup to finish. On my Pi 4 64 bit LMS I’ve had better luck with the fixes using the dynamic binary from the drop down. I assume you’re using the material plug-in?

I’m pretty sure the story on Andy’s plug-in is it was to prep for Logitech to expand the Music Server to a Media Server for new devices before they gave up. I believe he released it after the fact. I used to be a squeezebox retailer in New Hampshire and Key West. It’s the story we heard.

The only thing that everybody seems to agree on with UPnP is that it’s a universal mess.😁

The bridge setup is actually quite easy. If you already have it installed, check version. If it’s 2.1.11 or 1.8.2 you’re good to go. Enable it and in the plug-in settings all defaults work for a WiiM. Select max bit rate to the appropriate setting for your gear. If the version is 2.1.12 or 2.1.13 then add the developers dev channel URL to plug-in settings in LMS - the address is in the UPNP bridge post on the slim devices 3rd party software forum. Install 2.1.13.3 and follow the previous setup to finish. On my Pi 4 64 bit LMS I’ve had better luck with the fixes using the dynamic binary from the drop down. I assume you’re using the material plug-in?
Thanks very much @DryTortuga !

I'll give this a go later tonight or tomorrow. Can I specifically find and install 2.1.11 or 1.8.2? I'd prefer to make sure I have a workable version and stand pat (at least until I read about a good newer version here).

I do have Material, from my last go-round. I might even have iPeng.

For max bit rate, I have the Mini connected to my Onkyo via Optical digital, which I believe maxes out at 96k PCM. Gotta grab the manual and check. Would it hurt anything to max out at 192k on the Bridge?

Last question first. Match 96 on the plug-in with 96 on the WiiM for optical out. It will keep LMS from sending higher bit rate files without transcoding.
If you don’t have the bridge already installed with the older version, you can only install the latest release from the repo. But use the dev channel and so far 2.1.13.3 seems OK. The developer is trying to balance other players with some issues in the WiiM UPnP implementation. If Linkplay actually builds in squeezelite then all our problems are solved🤞
Material with the related artist/song info plugins seems to be the cats meow so far over iPeng. If using a iOS device you can always use save to home screen to create an app like experience. Works nicely on OSX Safari too.
Good luck, there’s plenty of us LMS-loonians here to help.
And don’t forget the Radio Paradise app in LMS you can use with this approach blows the WiiM RP approach away. You get skips and meta data.

Last question first. Match 96 on the plug-in with 96 on the WiiM for optical out. It will keep LMS from sending higher bit rate files without transcoding.
If you don’t have the bridge already installed with the older version, you can only install the latest release from the repo. But use the dev channel and so far 2.1.13.3 seems OK. The developer is trying to balance other players with some issues in the WiiM UPnP implementation. If Linkplay actually builds in squeezelite then all our problems are solved🤞
Material with the related artist/song info plugins seems to be the cats meow so far over iPeng. If using a iOS device you can always use save to home screen to create an app like experience. Works nicely on OSX Safari too.
Good luck, there’s plenty of us LMS-loonians here to help.
And don’t forget the Radio Paradise app in LMS you can use with this approach blows the WiiM RP approach away. You get skips and meta data.
One more quick question...I have 2.1.13 installed (from the master channel). I also disabled automatic plugin updates. ;-)

I figured out how to add the dev channel to "Additional Repositories", and now it's telling me the latest update version is 2.1.13.4.

Should I stick with 2.1.13 or update to 2.1.13.4?

Updating this
2.1.19 is about to be released and seems to restore things back to a stable gapless playback on Mini. 2.1.18 has minor issues
Can’t speak for Pro as I still can’t get one.

On using WiiM with LMS generally.
Until WiiM install Squeezelite the bridge plugin is the best approach.
Ditch the WiiM app and use Material instead.
Things are light years better using LMS than any other media server (with possible expensive exception of Roon).
LMS includes support for Spotify, Qobuz, Deezer & Tidal plus many many more Internet Radio stations than the WiiM app

Back