How does Alexa work on the WiiM Mini?

ChaudRO

I’m still confused about how Alexa works with the WiiM Mini. I’ve signed into the Alexa service in the WiiM mobile app and see it as a an available speaker in the Alexa mobile app. Do I also need to set up the WiiM Mini as the output speaker for a specific Echo device? Or can I refer to WiiM Mini by its device name from any Echo device?

Solution
Either. Mine is called Puck and I can ask “Alexa, play my good stuff playlist on Puck” or set it up as the preferred speaker for an Alexa room/device group as I have done in my living room.
Either. Mine is called Puck and I can ask “Alexa, play my good stuff playlist on Puck” or set it up as the preferred speaker for an Alexa room/device group as I have done in my living room.

Solution
I’m still confused about how Alexa works with the WiiM Mini. I’ve signed into the Alexa service in the WiiM mobile app and see it as a an available speaker in the Alexa mobile app. Do I also need to set up the WiiM Mini as the output speaker for a specific Echo device? Or can I refer to WiiM Mini by its device name from any Echo device?

You may find this useful which I bookmarked this ages ago

Is there a tutorial (or a quick step-by-step, for how to use any of several Echoes, not to play music through, but to select/control the stream on my 2 WiiMs?
I have 4 Echoes around the house, and I use 2 WiiM Minis to feed AMHD to two audio systems.
If I had a grade school kid to ask this, I wouldn't be asking.

For example, I'd like to say, "Alexa, play WCLV on my minis," and have that happen. Or, "Alexa, play Beethoven Eroica on my minis..."

I can do this now, but it just plays through the one Echo that I talked to.

I presume both your Minis appear in the Alexa app on the Devices page under the Echo & Alexa category by dint of you having linked your Alexa/amazon account in the WiiM app.

if so, on that same Devices page, choose the “+” in the top corner of the screen, then “Combine Speakers” from the menu that pops up. On the next page, choose the first option for multi room music, then select your Minis from the list of echo/Alexa devices that appears. Choose “next” at the top of the screen, then give your group a name, say “minis” and that should be you. Then ask for music as you indicated, or add “on the minis group” to your music request.

Last edited:
Is there a tutorial (or a quick step-by-step, for how to use any of several Echoes, not to play music through, but to select/control the stream on my 2 WiiMs?
I have 4 Echoes around the house, and I use 2 WiiM Minis to feed AMHD to two audio systems.

For example, I'd like to say, "Alexa, play WCLV on my minis," and have that happen. Or, "Alexa, play Beethoven Eroica on my minis..."

The video I linked to in the post before your's pretty much shows you how to do it, from memry I think the part at 45 seconds you can select more than one speaker and the part after that you either choose that they do it automtically whenever you play music or you have to name the group i.e. Alexa play Wave 105 ON groupname.

I've just gone and re-done it myself as I'd make some changes recently and lost the group I had set up.
When you set up any Alexa / Echo they ask what room it's in and you choose which then automatically creates a goup with that room name.

You don't now have to go and create another group as per the video as it's already there.

I just clicked on the devices tab and you'll see "Groups" .... tap on the one that represents the Echo you want to control the group (mine's kitchen) and 2nd tab down it says speakers and underneath in blue "Choose speakers" .... click on there, then choose and select the ones you want in the group and click next then decide if you want it to automatically play on the group or only if you name the group.

Voila :D

I've just gone and re-done it myself as I'd make some changes recently and lost the group I had set up.
When you set up any Alexa / Echo they ask what room it's in and you choose which then automatically creates a goup with that room name.

You don't now have to go and create another group as per the video as it's already there.

I just clicked on the devices tab and you'll see "Groups" .... tap on the one that represents the Echo you want to control the group (mine's kitchen) and 2nd tab down it says speakers and underneath in blue "Choose speakers" .... click on there, then choose and select the ones you want in the group and click next then decide if you want it to automatically play on the group or only if you name the group.

Voila :D
That however relies on your echo being part of that room group, and what you’re doing is just saying that the echo’s music audio is to be redirected to the speakers you identify in the room group speaker setting. While that can be very convenient, the method I mention above in creating a multi room music group allows any echo (or indeed your phone) on your account, whether it’s in that original room group or not, to direct music to the group

Last edited:
Back