I can't be the only one.... WiiM Pro in the car!

bengl3rt

WiiM Pro feeding a Mosconi Aerospace 6to8 DSP over coax in the trunk of my 2017 Acura NSX. The car came with wired CarPlay only, so I bought a little gizmo online that adds wireless CarPlay and conveniently creates a wifi hotspot for the WiiM to connect to. I've been through numerous digital sources for this system and the WP is the cleanest and most stable whether streaming over WiFi or Bluetooth.

IMG_9887.jpg
IMG_5357.jpg

That is a clever idea. Does the WiiM app run on carplay so you can control it from the touchscreen?

Beautiful car too, love the color!

WiiM Pro feeding a Mosconi Aerospace 6to8 DSP over coax in the trunk of my 2017 Acura NSX. The car came with wired CarPlay only, so I bought a little gizmo online that adds wireless CarPlay and conveniently creates a wifi hotspot for the WiiM to connect to. I've been through numerous digital sources for this system and the WP is the cleanest and most stable whether streaming over WiFi or Bluetooth.

View attachment 3359
View attachment 3358
WiiM Pro has a nice ride 😎

I have been thinking of how to install / use a pro (or even a mini) in my nowhere near as cool campervan, probably more for headphone use though (when stationary!), so maybe paired with something like a dx3 pro+
Haven't thought too hard about it though, or done any research, so would be interested to hear just a little more about the gizmo!

Ok, did a quick internet search.
Seems I may as well just connect both a wiim and my tablet to my phone's hotspot.
Or even my tablet, via usb, directly to a dac / hp amp.
Or even just get a decent usb dongle dac.
But both the direct usb options means I can't power the tablet while listening to music.

If only the wiim amp had a headphone socket, or any output other than just speakers, I could justify getting one!

I have been thinking of how to install / use a pro (or even a mini) in my nowhere near as cool campervan, probably more for headphone use though (when stationary!), so maybe paired with something like a dx3 pro+
Haven't thought too hard about it though, or done any research, so would be interested to hear just a little more about the gizmo!
The gizmo he is talking about is probably one of the many available carplay wireless dongles. They make them for Android Auto as well. These gizmos allow your phone that already has wired carplay to your stereo head unit to use carplay wirelessly. I think the benefit in this scenario is that these gizmos also create a wifi hotspot which is what connects the Wiim allowing it to be accessed and controlled.

So bengl3rt's setup would only work if you have a stereo head unit that supports carplay or Android Auto.

I'm sure there are other ways to get WiFi in your scenario.

That is a clever idea. Does the WiiM app run on carplay so you can control it from the touchscreen?

Beautiful car too, love the color!
Thanks!

I don't think the WiiM app shows up in CarPlay, but any audio app can stream to it over BT while still being controlled through the touch screen. I mainly use Apple Music and Soundcloud so that works for me!

The gizmo he is talking about is probably one of the many available carplay wireless dongles. They make them for Android Auto as well. These gizmos allow your phone that already has wired carplay to your stereo head unit to use carplay wirelessly. I think the benefit in this scenario is that these gizmos also create a wifi hotspot which is what connects the Wiim allowing it to be accessed and controlled.

So bengl3rt's setup would only work if you have a stereo head unit that supports carplay or Android Auto.

I'm sure there are other ways to get WiFi in your scenario.
BlackVue and others make dash cams that include a SIM card for mobile internet and a hotspot functionality. So if you've wanted a dash cam for the camper anyway, one of those will give all onboard devices including your WiiM internet access!

BlackVue and others make dash cams that include a SIM card for mobile internet and a hotspot functionality. So if you've wanted a dash cam for the camper anyway, one of those will give all onboard devices including your WiiM internet access!
It's already got two dashcams ;)
Maybe I just need to go back to basics, and get a simple BT dac/headphone amp.
How much worse can BT be anyway.... (never used it)

I was curious, so I enabled my phone's hotspot, but had mobile data turned off.
I connected my tablet to the hotspot.
I held down play on my wiim mini for 10 secs then set it up via the wiim app, choosing the hotspot.
It connected / set up fine and tried (and obviously failed) to do a firmware update check.
I disabled my tablet's bluetooth.
From the wiim app, My Music (i.e. files on my phone) play fine to the mini.

Which is ideal, as I don't need an internet connection at all to be able to stream my local files to a wiim, and then on to a dac / amp of my choice when in the middle of nowhere with no phone signal!

Looks like 🎅will be getting another mini when next on special, and going dac/amp/headphone shopping!
Would be nice to have a single box solution, but the mini's aux out is, well, lacking, and the pro plus doesn't have one.

Would be nice to have a single box solution, but the mini's aux out is, well, lacking, and the pro plus doesn't have one.
The pro plus does have an analog out in the shape of the rca outputs - the Mini just happens to output over 3.5mm. Unless I’m misunderstanding you?

The pro plus does have an analog out in the shape of the rca outputs - the Mini just happens to output over 3.5mm. Unless I’m misunderstanding you?
Normally rca outputs are high impedence and low current, compared to what headphones want /need.
It might work, but...

I just looked up the pro plus on amazon, thinking I'd be surprised if impedence was listed in the specs.
Was even more surprised to see this in the product description ;)

Audio Output Type‎Speakers
Output Wattage‎50 Watts

I have 16 Wiim Pro Plus installed in a Mercedes Sprinter. :LOL:
They are the sources feeding into 8 amplifiers.
Used as a factory mobile demo rig.
Woo hoo.
Okay, you win! Wow!!!

The experience of using it in my NSX has been so good, I just installed one in my LR Defender 90 as well. This car has an onboard wifi hotspot which made things even easier.

Attachments

• 797316D1-1E55-4A51-BAA1-BD1434CDAD67.jpeg
    797316D1-1E55-4A51-BAA1-BD1434CDAD67.jpeg
    583 KB · Views: 28
  • 43C1236B-F98F-48FA-BF61-435FE826AE28.jpeg
    43C1236B-F98F-48FA-BF61-435FE826AE28.jpeg
    509.2 KB · Views: 25
I love the creativity here! My car supports carplay so I've had no need to put wiim in the car yet!

Back