LMS/Squeezelite Support Mini

T-B

Moving this here from the thread at the old forum (https://faq-mini.wiimhome.com/support/discussions/topics/72000741459?page=1)

I quote cc, who started that:

<< There are thousands of Logitech Media Server users out there, with a very active forum dedicated to its use. It would be great if Squeezelite support were added to the WiiM Mini to make it a native LMS client, with the full feature set.
https://github.com/ralph-irving/squeezelite >>

There was a suggestion from Wiim Support that LMS was already useable via UPnP/DLNA, which is true, but using that is quite techy and beyond many customers. Captain Paranoia put it well at the old forum:

<< I think the reply from 'WiiM Support' misses the point; WiiM will be accessible via LMS using the UPnP/DLNA, Chromecast or Airplay plugins, but not via the LMS SlimProto protocl, which supports multi-room casting. Since Squeezelite is an open source implementation of the SlimProto renderer, it would seem a fairly easy win to deploy to the WiiM.>>

So, Wiim Support, can you make implementation of LMS/Squeezelite a priority, please, both on the Mini and the upcoming Pro? And personally, It would be interesting to hear Wiim's current plans for this before I buy either of these (great seeming) products.

I’d like to decomission old hardware running squeezelite and not worry about dlna problems. Wiim endpoints connecting to 4tb of music on LMS would be ideal.

Wiim, really seems like time for an update on your progress with implementing LMS/Squeezelite. What's keeping you?

C'mon, WiiM. This request is the second highest voted on the forum. Can you please move it up in your development timeline?

P. S. The highest number of votes currently go to making WiiM support Plex: something that it already does.

Must admit to being a bit of an LMS convert despite the occasional UPNPBridge hiccup, which of course wouldn’t be needed if WiiM had a native Squeezelite client.
I've been running the UPnP Bridge on my WiiM Mini pretty smoothly for a few months now. Only hiccups I've had are when the WiiM firmware does an update (that I have no control over accepting), and said update affects my Wi-Fi connection to the unit. This has happened twice, and usually fixes itself either after a unit reboot or in the next firmware update.

That said...of course native support would be preferable. What would be MORE preferable would be if we had control over whether our WiiM products automatically update or not. I never, ever allow any software or firmware to automatically update, I always pick and choose whether I want it or not. Sometimes an update upsets a smooth running setup.

Given the lack of anything at all from Wiim on this subject, my guess is that they have no intention of implementing LMS/Squeezelite, but just shoved it at the bottom of the roadmap to lure unsuspecting LMS fans to part with some cash. A shame.

Given the lack of anything at all from Wiim on this subject, my guess is that they have no intention of implementing LMS/Squeezelite, but just shoved it at the bottom of the roadmap to lure unsuspecting LMS fans to part with some cash. A shame.
Not sure I agree. They have had lots of issues to deal with in connection with UPnP/DLNA suppport and you may have noticed that Roon Ready hasn't appeared yet. I think their attention has been elsewhere. On the face of it Squeezelite ought to be relatively simple but I don't think WiiM really understand quite how large the potential LMS market is - almost certainly a lot larger than Roon - and it hasn't reached the top of the list yet.

There is pretty good support for LMS now with the UPnP/DLNA Bridge. Although gapless was broken in the last WiiM Mini firmware release I now have the beta firmware on my Mini - 4.6.516229 - and using in conjunction with LMS UPnP/DLNA Bridge v2.2.1

The bridge is configured to simply pass the stream from LMS to the WiiM with no alteration at a max sample rate of 96,000 to match the optical input on my CD Receiver. I have made some very limited tests in the time available but so far gapless playback of local FLAC has been fine - DSOTM has played straight through. I will let LMS's Don't Stop The Music do its stuff over the course of the day which will throw a mix of stuff from various sources at various bit rates and will report back.

In this mode the WiiM is only missing LMS multi-room and smart gain support but I do agree that full emaulation would be superb and open up a much bigger market than perhaps WiiM realise.

Rather an unwarranted cynical view in my opinion/experience, especially as the roadmaps clearly state: “Please note: Dates and features listed below may change or be removed at any time without any notification. Consequently, purchases should not be based on what is listed on the roadmap.”

They have had lots of issues to deal with in connection with UPnP/DLNA suppport and you may have noticed that Roon Ready hasn't appeared yet.
Am I wrong that integrating squeezelite would also deliver "Roon Ready"? Roon server already supports Squeezebox:

In this mode the WiiM is only missing LMS multi-room and smart gain support but I do agree that full emaulation would be superb and open up a much bigger market than perhaps WiiM realise.
I've been using LMS with Wiim via the UPnP/DLNA Bridge successfully too, and generally it's been stable, with a few hiccups along the way. But your last point here is key, d6jg, I think: full emulation would be the ideal. It really would make for a brilliant combination.

Brantome, my points may have seemed cynical, but I was trying to provoke a response from Wiim. Evidently they have nothing to say on the subject.

Oh, and my recollection is that the roadmaps blurb has only had that line about "purchases should not be based on..." relatively recently. I could be wrong.

I've been using LMS with Wiim via the UPnP/DLNA Bridge successfully too, and generally it's been stable, with a few hiccups along the way. But your last point here is key, d6jg, I think: full emulation would be the ideal. It really would make for a brilliant combination.

Brantome, my points may have seemed cynical, but I was trying to provoke a response from Wiim. Evidently they have nothing to say on the subject.

Oh, and my recollection is that the roadmaps blurb has only had that line about "purchases should not be based on..." relatively recently. I could be wrong.

I think WiiM have had their fingers burned to a degree in the past by perhaps over promising and saying too much about what they expect to do when: that in part would explain the recent caveat. Indeed, I’d go as far as to say that they’re reacting to what the community suggested a few months back I.e. focus on bug fixing and minor tweaks to stabilise the platform and then introduce new features, but don’t set or publicly state firm deadlines.

Having said that, it would be nice if the roadmaps were updated to reflect what features they might be working on and their status e.g. under review/consideration, planned in the short/ medium/ long term or even rejected, in design, in development, beta, public release etc.

I’m sure they’ll say something when they have something to say :)

Brantome, Wiim does indeed seem to have some work to do on "bug fixing and minor tweaks". I only open the Wiim app to check for updates, because, in my opinion, while my Wiim Pro is a decent bit of hardware, Wiim's software is poor.

LMS, on the other hand, is collectively an excellent suite of software, and I use that all the time and have done for a long time. The advantage (and contrast) there is a set of dedicated enthusiasts and developers who know exactly what they and other users need.

Also, Wiim now has some peculiar nightlight product thingy to distract them. So while they may "say something when they have something to say" about LMS/Squeezelite implementation, I'm not holding my breath.

Wiim people, I believe you now have Roon in place, so it's time to sort out LMS implementation, don't you think? And as others have said here, LMS implementation will probably earn you more new users than Roon.
"R. Ready" in between became a worthy and prestigious advertising feature. Remember HD-Ready years ago with tv. Many heard about R. and have their opinions without even trying it. "Anti" R. is always regarding pricing. A polling about personal importance of LMS and R. would be very interesting for me.
And perhaps they may earn more users with LMS, but for their shareholders R. users may be for future market developments more in focus. Simply said, they are prepared to spend more cash. WiiM is still a business. Hold in mind.

Nevertheless. My strong belief is that the most WiiM users are more or less happy with the things or the way the WiiM is doing right now. They use the WHA out of the box, without longing for more x,y,z..Patiently waiting or interested looking for improvement. Better is of course always better than good. And very good is the WiiM already.

Last edited:
I did not want to be suspected doing so called "guerilla marketing" 😉😝 or being on Roon's payroll.
Read already "Straw man fallacy"..I am only convinced of the product.

Well done that wiim team succeeding in getting Roon certification for the Wiim Pro.

The roadmap has native squeezelite client on the end of developments they are considering. If it wasnt possible to get the mini certified, perhaps the squeezelite client can give the mini some good news too.

I would like to see an update on the roadmap for integrating LMS into wiim, recognising that it will require curation. The squeezelite client is updated infrequently but as wiim firmware develops, the client will need to be updated in co-operation with the LMS community. This may explain why there is some reluctance in adding it to the firmware.

Last edited:
Back