Metadata don't refresh when DLNA is used in gapless playback mode

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
My WiiMs (Pro and Mini) don't refresh song metadata when audio is sent via DLNA/UPnP and gapless playback mode is used with SetNextAVTransportURI. I've tested it with LMS UPnP bridge and BubbleUPnP. The metadata is correct only when starting the song manually, but during the gapless playback it stays the same when tracks change. This effect can be seen in any UPnP controller which connects to the WiiM to consume its UPnP service. I think it started to happen after the last FW update.
Anyone else has a similar issue?

Is this when you’re just playing gapless tracks or when playing anything to the WiiM UPNP renderer service?

It's for any content played over DLNA in the gapless manner using SetNextAVTransportURI action. And it's not related to the way WiiM Home app uses to send playlists to the WiiM device, my thread shouldn't be moved here.

I’ll try and do some tests later but I do notice that the display in the WiiM app can get badly out of step with LMS particularly when selecting a later track in the play queue of a gapless album (which might be a different issue admittedly) - I’ll need to listen later, I’m only looking at a screen just now as my amp is off…

If I send a file to the WiiM then the metadata does update, but if I'm sending a transcoded stream (to apply ReplayGain) then it doesn't (to be expected I guess).
Pro with 4.8.512355 (20230330) via BubbleUPnP using the WHA on Android.

I can see that in any application which consumes a upnp service published by the WiiM - Home app regardless of the system, Ralph's chrome extensions, my HA plugin or even retrieving the data manually. The metadata published does not reflect the metadata of the current song.

If I send a file to the WiiM then the metadata does update, but if I'm sending a transcoded stream (to apply ReplayGain) then it doesn't (to be expected I guess).
Pro with 4.8.512355 (20230330) via BubbleUPnP using the WHA on Android.
Do you have your BubbleUPnP set to use gapless playback? In non gapless playback mode it works correctly.
Also I do not mean the metadata shown in the app which controls the playback. It's about any other app which only displays the playback status.
When songs are being played in the gapless mode, the connected application shows the metadata of the first song regardless of the song played.

Do you have your BubbleUPnP set to use gapless playback? In non gapless playback mode it works correctly.
Also I do not mean the metadata shown in the app which controls the playback. It's about any other app which only displays the playback status.
When songs are being played in the gapless mode, the connected application shows the metadata of the first song regardless of the song played.
With BubbleUPnP and 'Gapless control' enabled, when playing to the Pro I do see the track names advancing in the WHA (when the playlist consists of files).

EDIT: I've just tried to play a gapless album and it's not playing gaplessly, so something is not right. I don't have these problems with any other renderers! Ignore my previous comments for now.

EDIT2: So it looks like the WiiM's "gapless" performance has degraded. When being used as a UPnP renderer it only played gaplessly when the tracks were greater than ~25 seconds (whereas playing through the WiiM app 5 second tracks were fine). The album I just used for testing had 30 second tracks, but it no longer plays them gaplessly, which is probably why the track metadata was being updated. If I play a normal gapless album with tracks greater than 30 seconds it does play gaplessly but it doesn't update the track metadata in the WHA.
Sorry about that.
Now to test just how bad the new performance is!

Last edited:
Playing the Beatles Love album from Qobuz via BubbleUPNP to my Mini does play gaplessly, but the WiiM Home app track name doesn’t change, while the track time/ progress and bitrate do change from track to track.

When being used as a UPnP renderer it only played gaplessly when the tracks were greater than ~25 seconds (whereas playing through the WiiM app 5 second tracks were fine).
WiiM app uses different method to get a gapless playback, it creates a whole playlist using Linkplay UPnP extension. Other apps use SetNextAVTransportURI method which seems to work really bad on the WiiM for short tracks.

WiiM app uses different method to get a gapless playback, it creates a whole playlist using Linkplay UPnP extension. Other apps use SetNextAVTransportURI method which seems to work really bad on the WiiM for short tracks.
Which makes it all the more annoying because the only real way to use it is as a UPnP renderer (because the WHA is awful as a control point).

With latest firmware update : problem seems to be solved here.

Someone can confirm ?

Thanks to the devs !!!

Back