My Pro tests

I think wiim should make announcement on this forum like on Tuesday new app will be release with 100 percent accuracy that everything is ready to roll prior to the release.

I've decided to evaluate a latency over spdif in to spdif out.
My PC has been connected to the usb port of S2 Digi, then S2 Digi connected with a toslink cable to spdif in port of Pro, and finally spdif out port of Pro to spdif in of S2 Digi. This way I can play on S2 Digi and record the WiiM Pro output. My measurement was made in Audacity with a procedure described here:

Signal sample rate was 96 kHz. Measured latency was around 150 ms:

1676720750264.png

It's a sum of all the latencies in the mentioned audio path. To have a clear view I've measured a latency of S2 Digi itself in the loopback:
1676721069933.png

I got around 70 ms.

I think it's safe to say that Pro's spdif in/out latency was 150 ms - 70 ms = 80 ms.

I've decided to evaluate a latency over spdif in to spdif out.
My PC has been connected to the usb port of S2 Digi, then S2 Digi connected with a toslink cable to spdif in port of Pro, and finally spdif out port of Pro to spdif in of S2 Digi. This way I can play on S2 Digi and record the WiiM Pro output. My measurement was made in Audacity with a procedure described here:

Signal sample rate was 96 kHz. Measured latency was around 150 ms:

View attachment 383

It's a sum of all the latencies in the mentioned audio path. To have a clear view I've measured a latency of S2 Digi itself in the loopback:
View attachment 384

I got around 70 ms.

I think it's safe to say that Pro's spdif in/out latency was 150 ms - 70 ms = 80 ms.
Hi Onlyoneme,

Thank you very much for your tests and the result looks great. You're pretty close. The default latency now is 85 ms and we'll open this setting with more options in our future version if people wants it shorter or longer. Please stay tuned. Thank you!

Hi Onlyoneme,

Thank you very much for your tests and the result looks great. You're pretty close. The default latency now is 85 ms and we'll open this setting with more options in our future version if people wants it shorter or longer. Please stay tuned. Thank you!
Can you give us an information on when peq will get release? Thanks!

Time for a small experiment - what happens if Mini's spdif out is connected to the Pro's spdif in? What can we get on Pro's spdif out? Would be the jitter level the same as Mini's one? Or maybe just like Pro?

What about the clock? Does the clock come from incoming spdif signal? Or maybe spdif stream is reclocked to the Pro's clock?
If Mini's clock is still used I will get number of samples equal to that one I get from Mini alone. If it's reclocked I will get Pro's result.

Last edited:
A signal seems to be reclocked to the Pro clock. Probably due to that we can also see reduced jitter.

Last edited:
More comprehensive explanation of my findings is here:

Let me continue my boring monologue :)

My Pro seems to have 0,0007% clock deviation for 96 kHz sample rate. Mini has 0,0019% deviation.
Mini would produce 4156 more samples per hour when connected to the Pro, so to buffer 1 hour discrepancy 44 ms would be enough. I doubt I can capture buffer overrun situation when bit-perfect manner is unable to be maintained...

All above assuming that my calculation is correct and the theory about 2 independent clocks on Pro (one recovered from spdif stream and an internal one) and a FIFO buffering is valid.

Last edited:
As a result, can we say that the toslink jitter performance of wiim mini and wiim pro are close to each other? I feed wiim mini with my Allo shanti LPS, do you think this will reduce jitter?

As a result, can we say that the toslink jitter performance of wiim mini and wiim pro are close to each other? I feed wiim mini with my Allo shanti LPS, do you think this will reduce jitter?
Pro has a lower jitter than Mini.
I was comparing a jitter on the ASRC DAC when fed from the Pro powered by a SMPS charger and by a battery pack. I haven't noticed any difference here. I didn't compare with any LPS and it was the Pro, not the Mini though. I wouldn't expect a difference here but I've seen a report somewhere in the net that a PSU change allowed to choose more strict sensitivity setting on the selected DAC for its input.
Do you have any jitter issues?

Pro has a lower jitter than Mini.
I was comparing a jitter on the ASRC DAC when fed from the Pro powered by a SMPS charger and by a battery pack. I haven't noticed any difference here. I didn't compare with any LPS and it was the Pro, not the Mini though. I wouldn't expect a difference here but I've seen a report somewhere in the net that a PSU change allowed to choose more strict sensitivity setting on the selected DAC for its input.
Do you have any jitter issues?
I don't have the equipment to measure :), even if the jitter is higher in the mini, is it at a level that can be heard with the ear?

I don't have the equipment to measure :), even if the jitter is higher in the mini, is it at a level that can be heard with the ear?
I really doubt it could be audible. In most cases the DAC will lock to the Mini spdif clock and you will get the digital audio stream unaltered, so no even a chance to hear a difference.
Oh the other side a PSU can affect other components in the audio path, but it's unrelated to the Mini itself.

Back