NO sound from mini spdif?

LilleHerrCarl

No spidf out sound from my new mini. Not even during setup. Tried all bit rates and sampling frequencies with my chord qutest, plus two slightly lesser dacs. Also tried different toslinks. All of which worked fine with other source material. Using qobuz - iPad air (5) - wiim home app - for streaming. AUX out is ok. Network signal very good. Can my mini be faulty? Any suggestions what I’m doing wrong?

Only one output is active at a time. Have you set the mini from aux out, that works, to optical out?

I had the same issue during setup - it defaults to aux out from the box, but gets to the digital output setup screen before giving any chance / option to change the output, so there's no sound during the test.

No spidf out sound from my new mini. Not even during setup. Tried all bit rates and sampling frequencies with my chord qutest, plus two slightly lesser dacs. Also tried different toslinks. All of which worked fine with other source material. Using qobuz - iPad air (5) - wiim home app - for streaming. AUX out is ok. Network signal very good. Can my mini be faulty? Any suggestions what I’m doing wrong?
I would like to give you some advice. When you've sorted out the sound issue, check what @Mr Ee said, I recommend using BubbleUPnP to listen to Qobuz.
Much better and more complete than WHA

I would like to give you some advice. When you've sorted out the sound issue, check what @Mr Ee said, I recommend using BubbleUPnP to listen to Qobuz.
Much better and more complete than WHA
Except Carl says Ipad air in the post.
Bubble is android only - but worth switching from the dark side for ;)

Only one output is active at a time. Have you set the mini from aux out, that works, to optical out?

I had the same issue during setup - it defaults to aux out from the box, but gets to the digital output setup screen before giving any chance / option to change the output, so there's no sound during the test.
Thanks. I never had both leads connected simultaneously. So output changes automatically. Also reinstalled many times without any progress. Test signals are mute also at CD quality. Should work at 24/192 with my gear.

Does it change automatically? I've never seen that! I can also change it to an output that's not connected.

There're only 3 options I can think of
It's not auto switching, so you're not actually using the optical output.
The cable isn't plugged in properly - not uncommon from previous posts.
You're very unlucky, and have a duff unit!

Last edited:
When you're playing qobuz via the wiim app with just the optical cable plugged in, what does it show at the bottom of the 'now playing' screen?
Aux Out, or SPDIF Out?
I'm still fixated on the output not being set correctly...!

Does it change automatically? I've never seen that! I can also change it to an output that's not connected.

There're only 3 options I can think of
It's not auto switching, so you're not actually using the optical output.
The cable isn't plugged in properly - not uncommon from previous posts.
You're very unlucky, and have a duff unit!
After reinstalling once more I’ve made sure it’s set at spdif with fixed volume. When I arrive at changing bit density etc there is no sound even at 48/16. Although message says operation was successful it’s still completely silent, also when graphics show samples are being played. Duff?

When you're playing qobuz via the wiim app with just the optical cable plugged in, what does it show at the bottom of the 'now playing' screen?
Aux Out, or SPDIF Out?
Aux Out, or SPDIF Out?
Reinstalled once more, now from my Samsung mobile phone with identical result! Suspecting a faulty toslink connection. Also tried a professional Lifatec Silflex glass cable which didn’t fit the optical connector of the mini, alarmingly.

Please do not get angry....but that's similar to the question a guy from an automobile club who will help you if your car breaks on the motorway: fuel is in tank?
So: The amp is on?

Can you at least see a light at the end of the bundled cable during the output setup?
Interesting question. Should I be able to, if disconnected from my dac? It’s going back to the shop for a diagnosis, so back in it’s original box now. If faulty they’ll give me a replacement, so won’t bother to unpack it again. Bought unit before the Pro version was released. Anything to be gained from upgrading if my mini isn’t ok?

Back