Optical cables dont fit

jensende

Hi

I have now two Wiim Minis and they dont accept a bit more expensive oprical cables the simply just fall out and dont snap in to place.

I have now tried with three different ones:

Supra Zac
Chord C-lite optical
Atlas Element Optical

None of these snap in to place (the work with the rest of the equipment at home).

The supplied cable obibously works fine but I would like to have a better optical cable.

What do you guys use? suggest? Is there a high quality optical cable that fits ?

Regards
Jens

Be aware. Elsewhere someone posted that his WiiM Mini wouldn't work with his £36 optical cable even though it fitted but would with the supplied obviously cheapish one.

FWIW I use from Amazon. $11CAD

FosPower (0.9M / 3FT) 24K Gold Plated Toslink to Mini Toslink Digital Optical S/PDIF Audio Cable with Metal Connectors & Strain-Relief PVC Jacket

I use a gold plated cable too and had some problems. With some serious push it finally snaps in. I will not remove it as it may break the optical plug.

Similar problem with me with the WiiM Pro, I've added two posts on this.

The supplied WiiM optical cable works up to 24/192 (Amazon Music UHD) when I run it from the WiiM optical out into the optical in of my DAC. So I know that my app and streaming settings are right. But I have tried 3 other optical cables (two from Blue Jeans and one from Monster) and they don't work at 24/192. The other cables do work at 24/96, but not at the higher rates.

The DAC must be fine because it works with the WiiM cable. And the other cables aren't totally dead, because they do work at 24/96. So it's not a problem of them not clicking into the jack.

I don't understand what is so special about the WiiM cable. So much for these "audiophile" optical cables :)

Last edited:
I don't understand what is so special about the WiiM cable. So much for these "audiophile" optical cables :)
Actually the included optical cable is better build quality than any of the generic optical cables I have at home. 😅

But 24/192 works fine with my dac so I'm not going to splurge on some fancy digital cables.

So you had a working successful thing going and then decided to mess with cables. Digital working is as good as it gets. A more expensive cable means nothing.

So you had a working successful thing going and then decided to mess with cables. Digital working is as good as it gets. A more expensive cable means nothing.
It's a $17 cable that I need anyway for a different application. Took me about 10 minutes. I hope I can somehow get those 10 minutes of my life back.

Sometimes people might want to use a different cable. Or you need a cable longer than the included 1m so you want to know what other cables work ... or don't work. It's all part of contributing to the knowledgebase.

A lot of people just want the better appearance of build quality of a more expensive cable. I'm one of them. Does it make anything sound "better"? That's a can of worms I'm not going to open up, but they definitely look better, and a good looking system is a better sounding system.

I use this 3m cable I happened to have in my cable box from my WiiM Mini into my Linn MDSM/4. I paid £6.89 for it almost three years ago and it works perfectly. No need for anything more expensive imho - my cables aren’t visible as they are plugged in to the back of the units, so appearance is of no relevance to me…

I use this 3m cable I happened to have in my cable box from my WiiM Mini into my Linn MDSM/4. I paid £6.89 for it almost three years ago and it works perfectly. No need for anything more expensive imho - my cables aren’t visible as they are plugged in to the back of the units, so appearance is of no relevance to me…

Looks very decent still! Mine are thinner, but also stiffer. So they're probably pretty fragile as well. Are these a bit more flexible?

I initially tried to connect my 2 week old Mini with a longer, $20 cable I'd had (with gold tips) that connects fine to my Vizio TV and Onkyo receiver. Wouldn't "click" or stay in the port. Had to revert to the included cable.

My issue is not a "quality" issue...it's a length issue. If I wanted to swap in a longer optical cable, I'd be concerned it won't work.

Back