Optical output issues (again) at 24/192 kHZ to external iFi DAC

BigLol

I have the WiiM Mini connected, via the optical output, to an iFi ZEN One Signature DAC and when I switch the SPDIF Output to 24/192 kHZ the Test Audio track is horribly distorted. The same happens to any of my local 24/192 FLAC files sent to the DAC from the Wiim Mini over DNLA. The 24/192 FLACs work on other DAC's and I've tested the optical TOSLINK cable(s), incuding the one that came with the Wiim and they work too. If I set the output to 24/96 kHz it works fine and it plays the FLACs but I have quite a large library of >24/96 HD tracks on my SAN.

Is anyone else using an iFi DAC as an external DAC from the WiiM mini? ...and yes I have a ticket open with iFi support.

Aha, the 192 khz issue on a Mini (btw, a stupendously successful $90 product). Got Qobuz, in addition to Idagio and Spotify, to try the Hi-Rez path, via Ifi Neo I DSD and Dynaudio Excite 14 A. Even got an “upgrade” -a Monoprice SPDIF. Played first through the QApp on I Phone via Airplay. Excellent. Better IMO than Idagio. Tracks show 24/192, but … when tried Bunker Analogue speaker setup soundstage restricted. Then played directly through Mini App Qobuz setting. Much better than anything before.
However, on the 24/192 got distortion! Emailed IFI, but got the answer from this Forum- reintroduced the original cable (the size of a human hair) and it works!!! Clear test tone and reproduction. Wonderful. Now, there are a few AngloSaxon and EasternEuropean expressions to illustrate this attack on audiophile senses, but the question remains - an “audiophile”, “aftermarket” cable upgrade?!

Aha, the 192 khz issue on a Mini (btw, a stupendously successful $90 product). Got Qobuz, in addition to Idagio and Spotify, to try the Hi-Rez path, via Ifi Neo I DSD and Dynaudio Excite 14 A. Even got an “upgrade” -a Monoprice SPDIF. Played first through the QApp on I Phone via Airplay. Excellent. Better IMO than Idagio. Tracks show 24/192, but … when tried Bunker Analogue speaker setup soundstage restricted. Then played directly through Mini App Qobuz setting. Much better than anything before.
However, on the 24/192 got distortion! Emailed IFI, but got the answer from this Forum- reintroduced the original cable (the size of a human hair) and it works!!! Clear test tone and reproduction. Wonderful. Now, there are a few AngloSaxon and EasternEuropean expressions to illustrate this attack on audiophile senses, but the question remains - an “audiophile”, “aftermarket” cable upgrade?!

Well, it distorts at 192 khz, even with it’s original cable. It was working well for a day. Not good. Will try to get a new one as a warranty claim, if possible. Withdrawing “stupendously good $90 product”.

During your experiences, have you submitted a ticket to WiiM (or iFi) so they can inspect your device logs and perhaps diagnose your problem?
I did. To both.
For almost a year I never noticed. Never looked at the streaming “speed” on the Ifi. I was just happy listening to my music. Now that I decided to try Qobuz…
Still, the quirks notwithstanding, I think the Mini is a uniquely solid, high quality product, at the right price.

Ju
I did. To both.
For almost a year I never noticed. Never looked at the streaming “speed” on the Ifi. I was just happy listening to my music. Now that I decided to try Qobuz…
Still, the quirks notwithstanding, I think the Mini is a uniquely solid, high quality product, at the right price.
just to let you know, your problem is with ifi

Just last night I got distortion going from the coax output 24/192 from the wiim pro to the geshelli j2 dac coax input. Worked for a long time until now. Took me a while to figure out the problem. Thought my speakers were blown.

Found out that it was not distortion from the wiim but from geshelli dac itself. I tried different power supply (the upgraded ifi psu) that wasn't compatible. Switched back to default psu and no more distortion.

Found out that it was not distortion from the wiim but from geshelli dac itself. I tried different power supply (the upgraded ifi psu) that wasn't compatible. Switched back to default psu and no more distortion.
Incorrect voltage or your DAC simply prefers the stock PSU?

I also have a LG tablet that I stream from using its USB , I tried to use a upgraded ifi power supply, same 5v , but it doesn’t work, only works with the cheap wall wart it came with.

Back