Playlist with folders

Scheifo

Sorry for my bad English.
Is it possible to put entire directories in a playlist and then play them in random mode?
On my nas about 40000 songs are sorted in folders. I would like to put any folder in the playlist.
Thanks.

Firstly, the WiiM app can't do this so you'll need a control point that can. I use BubbleUPnP (only available on Android and the free version only supports queueing 16 tracks so you would need to buy it) and I've just shuffled a folder containing 9749 items so I'm hoping that's enough. Hi-Fi Cast on Android also seems to handle this which is nagware if price is a consideration. I'm afaid I can't help with iOS options.

Given you've got 40,000 songs on your NAS I assume you have a music server on there do you? If you do, the above control points should be fine, if not then BubbleUPnP can actually access SMB shares directly if you don't want to install anything (although I've never tried this), otherwise there are free options like MinimServer.

The wiim home app doesn't seem to support this, but other apps do / might.
Bubbleupnp, android, does.
I just chose my nas as the library (source), went into folder view, chose my 'various' folder that has a bunch of albums by, can you guess...., various artists, chose shuffle play on that folder and bubble put 285 tracks into the playlist, in random order.

Last edited:
40000 tracks in one shuffled playlist is likely to cause some memory related issues whatever you use and may make your control software unresponsive.

Another approach is to use a Random Mix of x tracks where the server is set to add additional tracks when it finishes. This approach may produce some repeats over an extended period of use but won’t cause your control software to baulk.
x in this case would be a much lower number - perhaps 200

Many thanks for the quick, friendly and competent answers.
Now I know I don't have to look any further 😉.
I will try again with the app nplayer or flacbox because I use ios. I previously had the streamer from airlino and unfortunately there were always interruptions with these apps.
I will try it.
Thanks again and greetings from Germany.

Hello everyone. I think I found a pretty good APP for my purposes for IOS.
It's called mconnectPlayer Lite. I've already transferred a number of folder contents to a playlist (currently a little more than 600 songs) and have been able to play them in random mode via the wiim without any interruptions.
There is also a paid version that I would be happy to buy.
Would be nice...

It generally gets things done but fails on the display and queue ordering of multi-disc albums (specifically those with disc subtitles I think) which is why I didn't recommend it the other day, but if you're just browsing by folders it should be ok.

Last edited:
I like the native WiiM app and don't want to use a 3rd party app for a Folder View.
Plex has this, Jriver Media Center also, please add this view to the WiiM app if possible !

I like the native WiiM app and don't want to use a 3rd party app for a Folder View.
Plex has this, Jriver Media Center also, please add this view to the WiiM app if possible !
I'm not sure what you're asking for as you're comparing servers (Plex/Jriver) to the WiiM home app which is essentially a control point.
Are you asking for direct NAS/smb browsing? If it's that then it is on the roadmap, although I have my reservations about going down that route.

If it's not direct browsing then the WiiM app already "supports" this, in that it just displays whatever your media server exposes, and if that includes "folder view" then that will be displayed too.

Back