Popping/clicking when switching tracks

AdieH

Hi all,

I've had this problem since I got my WiiM Mini about 3 months ago. Each time you click "next", or select a new track, in each case while another track is playing, there is a pause (which is normal) followed my a clicking/popping sound before it plays the selected track. There is no clicking/popping if you simply let the one track play and then move to the next, automatically.

I am using Qobuz (thru the WiiM app), but this also happens with Spotify connect.

Hardware is a Denafrips Ares II DAC with a QED cable optical cable.

The release notes from a few months ago identified this as an issue, but it said it was solved. I don't think it is. (The issue was described as:"Popping noise coming through speaker's when changing tracks when using optical output to DAC optical in").

When I logged a ticket (after the release notes claimed it was "solved") they said they are working on it, suggesting it was indeed, not solved. But, the issue persists.

Any ideas? Does anyone else have the same issue, or the same hardware, with no issue?

Cheers,

Adrian

If a network (WiFi) or bt source is selected, then clicks are present with any output option (Bluetooth speaker does not consider, there are separate problems with it).
If the AUX input is selected, there are no clicks on both output options.

This is one of the tests on a simple build. Bt-WiiM-aux. The portable speaker has enough gain to show the problem. Clicks sound much more unpleasant on a large audio system.
I do not face such behavior with my Mini, fixed volume, no EQ. Tested with AM, Tidal and Spotify.

I don’t have the issue either, using an RME DAC, which is extremely well engineered, not targeting the audiophile crowd.

I do not face such behavior with my Mini, fixed volume, no EQ. Tested with AM, Tidal and Spotify.
Perhaps this is a problem only for some devices.

For the aux output, I can use static volume, then a small gain will be required from the amplifier. The problem will be unnoticeable. Although it does not disappear anywhere. But I prefer to adjust the volume of the streamer, especially when used in a smart home setup.
There is a strange situation with the optical output, there have been attempts to fix it over the past three updates. Improvements are possible for some network playback sources. But the problem has not been solved globally. And worst of all, when wiim is in a slave state, clicks are present.

Perhaps this is a problem only for some devices.

For the aux output, I can use static volume, then a small gain will be required from the amplifier. The problem will be unnoticeable. Although it does not disappear anywhere. But I prefer to adjust the volume of the streamer, especially when used in a smart home setup.
There is a strange situation with the optical output, there have been attempts to fix it over the past three updates. Improvements are possible for some network playback sources. But the problem has not been solved globally. And worst of all, when wiim is in a slave state, clicks are present.
Since majority of us don’t have issue, you may have defective unit or your dac is the issue. Do you have another dac to try ?

Do you notice clicking all the time, or only when switching tracks? What music service are you using? Does it happen btw every track or just when switching to a different bitrate track?

Zero click!
Trying figure out what's different in setup that's causing many to experience this popping sound. Mine only happens when switching bitrate on tidal. It be helpful to know what music service people are using that are or are not experiencing this problem.

Trying figure out what's different in setup that's causing many to experience this popping sound. Mine only happens when switching bitrate on tidal. It be helpful to know what music service people are using that are or are not experiencing this problem.
I have amazon, quoboz and tidal. My dac smsl do200 mk ii. Zero problem and sound great for sub 500.

So full mqa support = no issue. Thanks for responce
I had topping e50 before and in the early days when wiim release mqa core beta I had nothing but problem such stuttering and pop noise. I took a chance and purchase a higher end dac problem solved. On my dac display mqa it has different mqa color like blue, green pink.

Trying figure out what's different in setup that's causing many to experience this popping sound. Mine only happens when switching bitrate on tidal. It be helpful to know what music service people are using that are or are not experiencing this problem
It happens for me on both Spotify (using Spotify Connect) and Qobuz (thru the WiiM app).

It is a part Dac part Wiim issue.

I had the same problem with my Theta Dacs using a BD player as a source, some BD players would create a loud pop or static sound when changing tracks, but on different BD players it would be fine.

After some research I found that the Theta Dac doesn't have a signal mute to turn off the signal when skipping tracks, plus the BD player doesn't either, so what happens is when you skip a track instead of muting the signal for a split second the signal stays engaged and you get the static coming through in-between the next track starting while thf signal locks again.

Either your Dac or source needs to mute the signal when skipping a track, as long one of them does it, it won't give that noise issue, so I'm sure Wiim could try fix it with an update.
Hi Ryan - I think this is probably rights. I've been doing some research around this issue and this makes a lot of sense.

I'm wondering if I would have the same issue with Coax, but I don't have a coax source to test it with.

In any event, I'm going to contact Denafrips and see what they say.

Hi all,

I've had this problem since I got my WiiM Mini about 3 months ago. Each time you click "next", or select a new track, in each case while another track is playing, there is a pause (which is normal) followed my a clicking/popping sound before it plays the selected track. There is no clicking/popping if you simply let the one track play and then move to the next, automatically.

I am using Qobuz (thru the WiiM app), but this also happens with Spotify connect.

Hardware is a Denafrips Ares II DAC with a QED cable optical cable.

The release notes from a few months ago identified this as an issue, but it said it was solved. I don't think it is. (The issue was described as:"Popping noise coming through speaker's when changing tracks when using optical output to DAC optical in").

When I logged a ticket (after the release notes claimed it was "solved") they said they are working on it, suggesting it was indeed, not solved. But, the issue persists.

Any ideas? Does anyone else have the same issue, or the same hardware, with no issue?

Cheers,

Adrian
Hi Adrian, can you confirm the clicking/pop noise also happens with the Spotify connect?

There may be a click if the sample rate is changed between the track since your DAC need relock the optical signal due to different sample rates. If we do the bit perfect decoding (the audio resolution of the output matches the audio source without resampling), it may be inevitable.

However, for Spotify Connect, since most track has the same frame rate and bit-depth, there shouldn't be click or pop sound. If you still have this issue, please send us a feedback with the App, we'll look at this immediately. Thank you!

If a network (WiFi) or bt source is selected, then clicks are present with any output option (Bluetooth speaker does not consider, there are separate problems with it).
If the AUX input is selected, there are no clicks on both output options.

This is one of the tests on a simple build. Bt-WiiM-aux. The portable speaker has enough gain to show the problem. Clicks sound much more unpleasant on a large audio system.
Hi Kate25, thank for your Youtube video. One thing I'd like to point out, can you please use the WiiM Home App and test it again? The App you're using seems to be another OEM app we made for other brands. Thank you!

I too have the clicking problem between tracks on aux port. Happens only when manually changing track position or prev/next song. I'm on firmware 4.6.503558
Hi SnowDog, which volume you're using when you have the clicking problem with your aux port? Can you please send us a feedback whenever you have this issue? Thank you!

Hi Adrian, can you confirm the clicking/pop noise also happens with the Spotify connect?

There may be a click if the sample rate is changed between the track since your DAC need relock the optical signal due to different sample rates. If we do the bit perfect decoding (the audio resolution of the output matches the audio source without resampling), it may be inevitable.

However, for Spotify Connect, since most track has the same frame rate and bit-depth, there shouldn't be click or pop sound. If you still have this issue, please send us a feedback with the App, we'll look at this immediately. Thank you!
There is an SPDIF relock even if sample rate doesn't change actually. Spotify Connect and Tidal Connect are exceptions when relock is performed only when needed (Tidal) or no relock at all as sample rate never changes (Spotify).

There is an SPDIF relock even if sample rate doesn't change actually. Spotify Connect and Tidal Connect are exceptions when relock is performed only when needed (Tidal) or no relock at all as sample rate never changes (Spotify).
Hi onlyoneme, this's interesting finding. I'll raise it with our eng team and check it out. SPDIF relock shouldn't happen if the sample rate doesn't change.

Back