Several PEQ related fixes to make the user experience easier

Steve Woodhouse

Major Contributor
Firstly, It’d be helpful to have a PEQ On/Off button immediately available at all times instead of having to dive into a sub-sub-menu.

It’d also be great to have a gain setting on the PEQ page. When EQ is set to anything above +0 you’ll inevitably get clipping. It’s an absolute pain to have to go to the volume limiter setting every time to change that to match the PEQ setting you’ve just selected.

And thirdly, it’d be very helpful if, as soon as you turn on, you’re asked which pre-saved PEQ you want to use (With the volume limiter included in that setting, as above). At the moment I have three settings: for my main speakers, for a pair of Sennheiser headphones, and for a pair of Beyerdynamic headphones. Each time I sit down I need to dig into a sub menu to choose which I’m using. Obviously, when Room Correction appears, and when the Ultra arrives with a sub out, incorporating these into the facility would be useful.

Just think for a second. With the Ultra you might usually have room correction, plus a bit of EQ for your speakers, for which you’ll also need to set a volume limit, plus a crossover diverting LF to the sub. Now, if you have a pair of headphones you’ll need to go to one page to change the EQ to that required by your headphones, a second page to turn room correction off, a third to turn the subwoofer off, and a fourth to change the volume limiter. Repeat when you sit down to listen to your speakers. That’s four separate sub menus you’ll need to go into when you swap between speakers and headphones.

The only down-side might be that this option needs to be made who only uses one system, having to needlessly choose the same set up every time, but you could include the facility to turn this option-choice on or off.

Thanks for listening.

neither the correction or the ultra is yet there (and not even a more comprehensive peq mode)

the clipping problems in eq (and peq) mode have been known to wiim since spring 2022... and the response ended up being this limiter mode (after an episode of a harsh drc at -1db integred in TI dac)

Firstly, It’d be helpful to have a PEQ On/Off button immediately available at all times instead of having to dive into a sub-sub-menu.

It’d also be great to have a gain setting on the PEQ page. When EQ is set to anything above +0 you’ll inevitably get clipping. It’s an absolute pain to have to go to the volume limiter setting every time to change that to match the PEQ setting you’ve just selected.

And thirdly, it’d be very helpful if, as soon as you turn on, you’re asked which pre-saved PEQ you want to use (With the volume limiter included in that setting, as above). At the moment I have three settings: for my main speakers, for a pair of Sennheiser headphones, and for a pair of Beyerdynamic headphones. Each time I sit down I need to dig into a sub menu to choose which I’m using. Obviously, when Room Correction appears, and when the Ultra arrives with a sub out, incorporating these into the facility would be useful.

Just think for a second. With the Ultra you might usually have room correction, plus a bit of EQ for your speakers, for which you’ll also need to set a volume limit, plus a crossover diverting LF to the sub. Now, if you have a pair of headphones you’ll need to go to one page to change the EQ to that required by your headphones, a second page to turn room correction off, a third to turn the subwoofer off, and a fourth to change the volume limiter. Repeat when you sit down to listen to your speakers. That’s four separate sub menus you’ll need to go into when you swap between speakers and headphones.

The only down-side might be that this option needs to be made who only uses one system, having to needlessly choose the same set up every time, but you could include the facility to turn this option-choice on or off.

Thanks for listening.
Maybe they want you to buy one wiim per setting...

Maybe they want you to buy one wiim per setting...

It’s the fact that I don’t want to which brings this request about.

Actually, I have (sort of) considered it. I currently have a Mini. Presuming the Ultra has a great DAC (I’m sure it will), I’d run analogue outs from there to the amp and sub.

I’d keep the Mini for headphone use, which automatically takes room EQ and subs out if the equation. I’d run (as I do now) digital out from the Mini to my EX5 DAC/Amp.

Unfortunately, I really need at least one more band of PEQ, and possibly two.

So I might have to buy a Pro; I was going to be giving the Mini to my son anyway.

Of course, if all these audio settings can be put on one audio settings page, that won’t be necessary.

neither the correction or the ultra is yet there (and not even a more comprehensive peq mode)

the clipping problems in eq (and peq) mode have been known to wiim since spring 2022... and the response ended up being this limiter mode (after an episode of a harsh drc at -1db integred in TI dac)

I’m not saying the limiter mode isn’t right - this isn’t a WiiM-only issue. On Roon and on Equaliser APO the volume limiter is on the same page as the PEQ. It’s just easier. And as it’s not a lot of use other compensating for PEQ gain, it makes sense to have them together.

I’m not saying the limiter mode isn’t right - this isn’t a WiiM-only issue. On Roon and on Equaliser APO the volume limiter is on the same page as the PEQ. It’s just easier. And as it’s not a lot of use other compensating for PEQ gain, it makes sense to have them together.

Post in thread 'Sound quality when using EQ or Volume Control' https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/sound-quality-when-using-eq-or-volume-control.572/post-20275

I have not given an opinion on this wiim solution of the limiter just reminded that it is a very old subject... when it comes to "form", first of all enriching the peq mode seems much more essential to me...
and talk about the correction function as if it were already there, very heavy, when just the enrichment of the peq is expected for months or this adaptation of level to the correction, seems to me, they say, funny

Back