SOLVED: couldn't stream 192 kHz / 24 bit, stuck at 96 Hz - problem was older S/PDIF optical cable - use WiiM cable instead to get 192 kHz

hoppy

Turned out my problem was I was using some old S/PDIF optical cable that was limited to 96 kHz / 24 bit. I swapped that old cable for the included S/PDIF optical cable that came with the WiiM, and then I was able to listen in 192 kHz / 24 bit.

I didn't realize that some older optical cables cannot handle the higher sample rate.

I was using the other cable because I just have a mess of of cables that I thought were all the same and grabbed the "wrong" cable.

Setup: I was outputting the WiiM Pro into a DAC via a S/PDIF optical cable and playing Amazon Music with the ultra HD subscription through the WiiM Home app. I made sure to find a song that was the highest resolution (192 kHz). I could play hi-rez music at 96 kHz but it wouldn't go to 192 kHz. I used the "Play test audio" feature in the WiiM Home app's device "audio settings" section, and it would pay a test sound at 96 kHz but not 192 kHz.

Trying to troubleshoot, I bypassed the DAC and output the WiiM directly into my amplifier via RCA interconnects from the analog line out outputs, thinking maybe there is a problem with my Schiit Modi+ DAC. When I did that, I was able to play a 192 kHz signal and play the music over 192 kHz. So, I thought the problem was my DAC, but I know my DAC should be able to handle 192 kHz. Was there some weird compatibility issue? So I decided to insert the DAC again and swap the optical cable next. When I inserted the WiiM optical cable instead of my older optical cable, I could then hear 192 kHz! Just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I swapped back in the older optical cable and I was again stuck at a max 96 kHz. So it was the cable.

So, the moral of the story is, not all optical cables can support a 192 kHz sample rate. I never knew that before. Hope this might help someone else out there.

I don't really like optical cables because I find them fragile and they can come loose easily, so I've ordered a digital coaxial cable from Bluejeans Cable and I'm looking forward to using it instead...hoping it will work at the high sampling rate.

Turned out my problem was I was using some old S/PDIF optical cable that was limited to 96 kHz / 24 bit. I swapped that old cable for the included S/PDIF optical cable that came with the WiiM, and then I was able to listen in 192 kHz / 24 bit.

I didn't realize that some older optical cables cannot handle the higher sample rate.

I was using the other cable because I just have a mess of of cables that I thought were all the same and grabbed the "wrong" cable.

Setup: I was outputting the WiiM Pro into a DAC via a S/PDIF optical cable and playing Amazon Music with the ultra HD subscription through the WiiM Home app. I made sure to find a song that was the highest resolution (192 kHz). I could play hi-rez music at 96 kHz but it wouldn't go to 192 kHz. I used the "Play test audio" feature in the WiiM Home app's device "audio settings" section, and it would pay a test sound at 96 kHz but not 192 kHz.

Trying to troubleshoot, I bypassed the DAC and output the WiiM directly into my amplifier via RCA interconnects from the analog line out outputs, thinking maybe there is a problem with my Schiit Modi+ DAC. When I did that, I was able to play a 192 kHz signal and play the music over 192 kHz. So, I thought the problem was my DAC, but I know my DAC should be able to handle 192 kHz. Was there some weird compatibility issue? So I decided to insert the DAC again and swap the optical cable next. When I inserted the WiiM optical cable instead of my older optical cable, I could then hear 192 kHz! Just to make sure I wasn't crazy, I swapped back in the older optical cable and I was again stuck at a max 96 kHz. So it was the cable.

So, the moral of the story is, not all optical cables can support a 192 kHz sample rate. I never knew that before. Hope this might help someone else out there.

I don't really like optical cables because I find them fragile and they can come loose easily, so I've ordered a digital coaxial cable from Bluejeans Cable and I'm looking forward to using it instead...hoping it will work at the high sampling rate.
Out of interest, were both cables the same length?

The WiiM Toslink cable indeed seems to be of quite good quality and it fits perfectly into the sockets of the WiiM and my DAC.
It works fawlessly at 24/192 so far. No need for "high-end" cables IMO.

Can't get 24/192 with provided cable. Also tried a different cable.

Brand New Marantz Cinema 60.

Definitely supports 24/192.

So I'm between coax and buying a new cable.

Neither the cinema 60 specs page nor the user manual actually state what sample rates the digital inputs support.
The only direct references to supporting 192 are for usb, network and heos playback.
However, it is supposed to be able to accept up to 32/192 pcm on both optical and coax, according to Marantz tech.

Neither the cinema 60 specs page nor the user manual actually state what sample rates the digital inputs support.
The only direct references to supporting 192 are for usb, network and heos playback.
However, it is supposed to be able to accept up to 32/192 pcm on both optical and coax, according to Marantz tech.
Fair. Just seems unlikely they would cap the opticals at 96. Possible though.

I have a strange problem with 192/24 test in WIIM !
It plays the sound test at the highest with distortion in the sound, but once set it doesn’t affect the music played afterwards. Strange thing is the WIIM test is perfect with NAD 338 and not so great with NAD 368 which is much better amp !
Go figure! 😂

I have a strange problem with 192/24 test in WIIM !
It plays the sound test at the highest with distortion in the sound, but once set it doesn’t affect the music played afterwards. Strange thing is the WIIM test is perfect with NAD 338 and not so great with NAD 368 which is much better amp !
Go figure! 😂
Optical, coax, or both?

Edit - and then I looked at the picture in the next post... coax!
Seems you're using Tidal, so you're not going to get 192 out of the wiim.

Last edited:
@AlexFilm
Only a German manual for the C368 available for me here. There are hell of a lot settings over five pages possible. Eventually step by step setting again?
I just did a factory reset for the NAD368 but the WiiM test still crackles at 192/24. However this does not affect the music played at that setting and I don’t know if I should investigate why. The only thing that bothers me is that the NAD338 didn’t have that.

Was always a friend of NAD. But it seems policy changed. The old 3020 and the 316 were (and are still) fantastic budget amps. So its up to you, 600 is no petitesse and all what I've read about their "digital amps" wasn't exciting at all.
(One of the reasons never ever an amp with digital sections will enter my music room ;))

Back