SPDIF Output Resolution questions

Wiim User #6832

I have my Mini connected via SPDIF optical directly to my Edifier R1280DB powered speakers. The highest output resolution setting I can select in the WiiM app and hear the test tune is 24 bits/48 kHz.

1. I assume this limitation is due to a limitation of the speakers I'm using. Is this correct?
2. My streaming service is Spotify Premium. If Spotify ever comes out with a HiFi level I assume I will need to upgrade my speakers if I want to take full advantage of Spotify's new hi-res level. Is this correct?
3. When shopping for upgraded speakers, what specs do I look for to be sure they will support hi-res streaming up to 24 bits/192 kHz?

Thanks.

1. Most likely, yes.
2. No. Spotify hifi won't be over 24/48
3. If looking for speakers with an inbuilt dac/amp, check the digital input specs for max suported.
I only had a very quick look, but didn't see this mentioned on the Edifier site for your speakers.

1. Most likely, yes.
2. No. Spotify hifi won't be over 24/48
3. If looking for speakers with an inbuilt dac/amp, check the digital input specs for max suported.
I only had a very quick look, but didn't see this mentioned on the Edifier site for your speakers.
Thanks.
Is 24/48 even considered "hi-res" by audiophiles? 😁

The Edifier site has this for Input Sensitivity:
OPT/COA: R/L:500+-50mFFS

Does this tell us anything about the maximum resolution we can achieve with these speakers? If not, what specific input spec should I look for when checking out different speakers?

No, that tells us nothing about max sample rate supported.
Seems that some manufactures will list the max sample rate in the specs, per input. Some just mention it in the blurb or manual.
Pretty much, you're just looking for a mention of 96 or 192 somewhere in the literature!

24 / 48 is considered UHD by Amazon ;)

No, that tells us nothing about max sample rate supported.
Seems that some manufactures will list the max sample rate in the specs, per input. Some just mention it in the blurb or manual.
Pretty much, you're just looking for a mention of 96 or 192 somewhere in the literature!

24 / 48 is considered UHD by Amazon ;)
Thanks again for your help.

Note that it's not uncommon for optical inputs to max out at 96khz.
Also not uncommon for manufactures to state 96 max for optical even though 192 will often work.

Back