Spotify Hi-Fi support

Right now I'm listening to "Die Roboter" from the 1978 album "Die Mensch-Maschine" (2009 remix) through Tidal and the app clearly states: 16 bit 44.1 kHz FLAC
Maybe you don't have the hifi plus tier or you are doing some volume and EQ controls. Starting from April 10, only one no limited tier will be available at 10. 99€.
As far I can see, Kraftwerk catalogue is still available mainly in MQA 44.1KHz 16bit.
The following two screenshots are for the same play. I have a MQA compatible dac (it's just a coincidence)...
1000019466.jpg1000019467.jpg

Last edited:
Right now I'm listening to "Die Roboter" from the 1978 album "Die Mensch-Maschine" (2009 remix) through Tidal and the app clearly states: 16 bit 44.1 kHz FLAC
View attachment 6121

Are they really hiding the fact that this stream has been created from an MQA CD master? Why Tidal would try to further push MQA content? Their official strategy is clearly different. Sounds good, btw.

Fully agree on that point. For Spotify's (still defunct) business model music is exactly as important as it is for their typical customers: it just has to be there and that's it.

The younger people around me honestly don't even understand what I mean when I'm talking about "better sound quality". And to a degree that's even understandable. Even with Spotify there are no clicks and pops, there is no random noise, there's no rumble, no wow and flutter, no highs dramatically cut by misaligned tape heads and there's hardly any stutter.

Dynamics in music is not a concept they grew up with (talking about recorded music of course, but hey, what's the dynamic range of a live pop concert?). Differences in detail or clarity are probably differing more between different masters remixes or remixes of the same track than between streaming services. Stereo imaging? Being a fragile concept on its own, doesn't play an important role listening through cool Marshall Bluetooth speakers (and not even listening through headphones).

I ended up paying for a Tidal Family plan in addition to the existing Spotify Family plan, even though the latter is mainly used by myself. Well, I can afford it and there's a little hope (really just a little) it might have an educational effect ... 😛

Personally I coquet with belonging to a party "The last of a dying breed". Makes me feel a bit outlaw-ish ;-)
But yes, if you and I and others stop to teach young people how it CAN sound Jim Morrison will be proved right.

That's right, for 6 more days I don't.

Should Tidal downgrade the quality to MQA with their announced upgrade, I will complain to them. :)
I believe that MQA files, derived from 44.1KHz 16bit masters (as Kraftwerk ones), differ from pure Flacs, in some tags only. I believe this is the reason why they didn't change them as they did with deeper and wider masters and on your tier you see "flac"...
So, nothing to worry about, for these low depth MQA, is just involved (only if available on dac) an alternative custom upsample and antialias process on end user side.
After April 10, you certainty will see MQA for Kraftwerk but it will be the same file as now...

Last edited:
Spotify made their first "hifi" announcement in 2017 I think, a quick google shows news articles as far back as 2021. I'm still of the belief after this amount of time, it will never happen.

I believe that MQA files, derived from 44.1KHz 16bit masters (as Kraftwerk ones), differ from pure Flacs, in some tags only. I believe this is the reason why they didn't change them as they did with deeper and wider masters and on your tier you see "flac"...
So, nothing to worry about, for these low depth MQA, is just involved (only if available on dac) an alternative custom upsample and antialias process on end user side.
After April 10, you certainty will see MQA for Kraftwerk but it will be the same file as now...
Searching Tidal's catalog with external tools ('nuff said) reveals there's really only one version of this album available and it is the MQA version. So, I think you're right and just the display will change on 10th April.

Die Roboter Lyngdorf MQA.jpg

My Lyngdorf TDAI displays the track as being MQA right now, so really no change to be expected after 10th April.

Sounds absolutely marvelous.

My Lyngdorf TDAI displays the track as being MQA right now, so really no change to be expected after 10th April.

Sounds absolutely marvelous.
I can confirm, I did some test and I think these files, already 44.1KHz 16bit, pass anyway the MQA flags, even without hifi max tier or even if CD resolution is forced in Tidal settings.
In this situations, Tidal app or WiiM app don't say it's MQA but external DAC is anyway triggered for MQA.
After 10th of April you should see up to 192khz Flacs and some residual 48KHz 24bit MQA's

Spotify will raise their prices soon.
There will be a new basic abo( with or without audiobooks).
If they will offer better audio quality.. that's the question...i wouldn't have a problem to pay more if I had to pay for hifi quality.

Spotify will raise their prices soon.
There will be a new basic abo( with or without audiobooks).
If they will offer better audio quality.. that's the question...i wouldn't have a problem to pay more if I had to pay for hifi quality.
How do you come to know? Can you please share a reference? Thx

The price increase will apply to different markets at different times and absolute prices will continue to differ, of course.

I haven't seen any mention of higher quality settings in the media coverage of the raised prices, so I don't expect it to come.

The price increase will apply to different markets at different times and absolute prices will continue to differ, of course.

I haven't seen any mention of higher quality settings in the media coverage of the raised prices, so I don't expect it to come.
I think your right..but there hoping...😊

Back