Static/crackling noise

gwi42

I noticed after a week with the pro sometimes my TV sound makes a static/crackling noise for about 5-10 seconds. My connection is optical in/optical out and it happens I tried optical in / rca out and it happens. Optical setting is 192/24 could this be it? I did lower it but Its hard to tell since it may not happen for hours but it's everyday. What's going on here Wiim? Is it a bad unit?

I do not think this is a WiiM issue. It also happens connecting the toslink from the TV directly to the DAC. It may have to do with TV audio out format configuration. I suspect it should be strictly 2-channel PCM.
Its a wiim issue when using optical we have a mini for 5mths never happens but happens everyday with the pro. Wiim knows its a problem.

since the new firmware update it happened once on Monday and twice on Tuesday, better than before.
Does everyone have the auto input switch turned on? I wonder if it has anything to do with that

Please check the firmware - WiiM App - Device - Settings (gearwheel) - Info - Firmware version.

It seems that the 'whitelisted' version is 4.8.503951.

Please post your firmware version and what you hear - solved or not. Also post TV brand/model.
After more tests… Sorry to say… the latest ‘whitelisted’ firmware still produces garbled audio out of a LG panel.

I am not wasting more time with this and will not be using SPDIF In.

After more tests… Sorry to say… the latest ‘whitelisted’ firmware still produces garbled audio out of a LG panel.

Mine got worse today, it was continuously producing static and I had to reboot the wiim to stop it.

It’s unfortunate as it’s a good product otherwise. I have til February 10th to return it if it can’t be solved.

Yeah, I just bought an optical switch box as a work around. Very unfortunate because I got the pro because of the optical input feature 😭

Yeah, I just bought an optical switch box as a work around. Very unfortunate because I got the pro because of the optical input feature 😭
Instead of a SPDIF switch I am using an optical passive splitter. I have 2 optical sources and feed them to the splitter end and connect the combining output to the external DAC. This works because both my sources turn off optical when off. The advantage of using a passive switch is that there are no errors introduced by signal conversions.

I have the same issue with the Pro. I have only had it a few weeks. Works find when streaming but the optical from my TV starts to output static and crackling after about 10-15 minutes of use. If I open the WIIM app and click on the player the crackling will stop. Sometimes it will work fine for the rest of the viewing session, sometimes it will restart crackling 10-15 minutes later. The next day the same thing happens. These units have some type of defect. Too many of us with the same problem.

If the output of the WiiM is an external DAC (true in my case) it actually makes no sense to use the SPDIF IN to output via the WiiM's SPDIF OUT to a DAC (in a complex bridge sort of a way). The signal is converted twice (from photons to electrons and from electrons back to photons); this is prone for errors and signal degradation. So, I decided not to do this. instead I use a passive fiber-optic splitter and connect the WiiM Pro SPDIF OUT to one port and the TV optical cable to the other port, combining to an output connected to the external DAC. This works if when one source is on the other source does not lit its Toslink. It works for me. No losses!

If the output of the WiiM is an external DAC (true in my case) it actually makes no sense to use the SPDIF IN to output via the WiiM's SPDIF OUT to a DAC (in a complex bridge sort of a way). The signal is converted twice (from photons to electrons and from electrons back to photons); this is prone for errors and signal degradation. So, I decided not to do this. instead I use a passive fiber-optic splitter and connect the WiiM Pro SPDIF OUT to one port and the TV optical cable to the other port, combining to an output connected to the external DAC. This works if when one source is on the other source does not lit its Toslink. It works for me. No losses!
Lol. But beware, you will send only half of the photons to each device.

The splitter works if the off source turns off the SPDIF signal. There are some sources where that is not the case.

Currently, when the WiiM Pro SPDiF into SPDIF out works the conversion is not free of bit losses. A direct optical connection to the outboard DAC sounds better. Try it.

Back