Tidal connect about half second cut

thj17

Hi!

New member and new owner of the wiim pro. So far I'm pleased but have some issues with Tidal connect.
Wiim into RME ADI-2 DAC. iphone tidal connect and spotify connect. So far, spotify seems more stable.

I had some crashes with tidal connect, reported by a ticket.

My concern and the subject of this post is about skipping a song, chosing or watever rewinding...
If I let an album or a playlist play, no problem. It plays gaplessly and everything is fine.

If I select a song on my phone or skip, the problem happens every single time.
It's like it starts to play right away, but the bits are not sent to the dac before about half a second. So I lost the beginning note(s) of the song.
Same if I use the +/- buttons on the unit to skip or rewind.

It is working perfectly with spotify connect altough there is a slight delay which seems to indicate a buffer is fulling before starting the playback or something. Anyway, I don't loose anything from the song.

Anyone has the same issue??? Thanks!

Hi!

New member and new owner of the wiim pro. So far I'm pleased but have some issues with Tidal connect.
Wiim into RME ADI-2 DAC. iphone tidal connect and spotify connect. So far, spotify seems more stable.

I had some crashes with tidal connect, reported by a ticket.

My concern and the subject of this post is about skipping a song, chosing or watever rewinding...
If I let an album or a playlist play, no problem. It plays gaplessly and everything is fine.

If I select a song on my phone or skip, the problem happens every single time.
It's like it starts to play right away, but the bits are not sent to the dac before about half a second. So I lost the beginning note(s) of the song.
Same if I use the +/- buttons on the unit to skip or rewind.

It is working perfectly with spotify connect altough there is a slight delay which seems to indicate a buffer is fulling before starting the playback or something. Anyway, I don't loose anything from the song.

Anyone has the same issue??? Thanks!
Do you use MQA unfold feature on the WiiM?

Do you use MQA unfold feature on the WiiM?
No. I'm a standard HiFi tidal subscriber. No MQA.
I think I had some problem with the toslink cable. I was moving the Toslink cable and the wiim changed song. What? I wiggle the cable at both ends after that and the connection seemed solid after that. Really weird. Maybe it was not fully inserted?
Anyway, it seems slightly better. I'D say it cut maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of a second of the song. So Tidal connect wiim toslink output to the ADI-2 Dac FS (ESS version). I've read some things about wiim cutting light and causing clicks and pops. I can swear that for the last few days I heard occasionnal clicks/pops. Ressemble like a static discharge. It seems to happens randomly. Was not having this issue with a computer and a USB cable into the same dac. Maybe I should buy a coax cabke to try this method?

Pro comes with an rca to rca cable. Would be good enough to use 'one half' of that from the coax out to your dac just to see if you have the same issues, or any other analog rca you may have lying around.

I think I had some problem with the toslink cable. I was moving the Toslink cable and the wiim changed song. What? I wiggle the cable at both ends after that and the connection seemed solid after that. Really weird. Maybe it was not fully inserted?
Anyway, it seems slightly better. I'D say it cut maybe 1/8 to 1/4 of a second of the song. So Tidal connect wiim toslink output to the ADI-2 Dac FS (ESS version). I've read some things about wiim cutting light and causing clicks and pops. I can swear that for the last few days I heard occasionnal clicks/pops. Ressemble like a static discharge. It seems to happens randomly. Was not having this issue with a computer and a USB cable into the same dac. Maybe I should buy a coax cabke to try this method?
I am having exactly the same issue while using Coax out.... Pretty sure this started only a cpl days back.

Your DAC is able to present spfid issues on its State Overwiew screen. Blinking / shown in red sync/lock/sample rate values can indicate connection problems.
WiiM turns off/on its digital output every time during manual advance to the another songs but it's not a case when Tidal Connect is used.
WiiM can fade the very beginning of the audio stream, a transition is around 0.5 s. I haven't verified if it happens also for Tidal content.

Your DAC is able to present spfid issues on its State Overwiew screen. Blinking / shown in red sync/lock/sample rate values can indicate connection problems.
WiiM turns off/on its digital output every time during manual advance to the another songs but it's not a case when Tidal Connect is used.
WiiM can fade the very beginning of the audio stream, a transition is around 0.5 s. I haven't verified if it happens also for Tidal content.
Nothing wrong on the state overview. That was a great idea, but the connection seems pretty solid.

On the meters, nothing on the input and spectrum analyzer and bang, all the way up. So I would not describe it as a fade in effect. There is nothing, and then suddenly you have full output.

On another note, I had an RCA of a "good" quality in hand with rean silver connectors. Did tried the coax output to the ADI-2. Same behavior. cut the fist 1/4 or so second of a song whenever I skip or select a new song. Letting play is OK and in this case, the transitions are gapless.

Don't have this problem with spotify connect. We can tell that Wiim put much effort with Spotify; the presets are only available with Spotify, which was a disapointment for me...

I asked myself if it my problem was on the Tidal side...
So I installed Tidal on my chromecast and still using my phone to control (Tidal connect), changing songs seems much more implemented the same way Spotify works. Selecting or skipping a song, there is a slight delay before the playing start. Kind of the time to fill a buffer I would say. Then it starts at the very beginning.

SO, I'm almost certain this behavior is part of the implementation of Tidal connect into the Wiim and not the other way around. It's like the gap is normal, but instead of filling a buffer and playing the song from the beginning, it starts after the gap at whatever point the song is at this moment. I really hope they will solve this issue at it is almost a deal breaker and was the first intended use for me.

Thanks all for your help and ideas! Much appreciated.

I experienced the same issue after the latest firmware update. I own both the Mini and the Pro and every time I skip a song on Tidal connect (via app or Wiim app) I miss 0,5/1 sec of the next track. Hope they fix it in any way, I opened a ticket at Wiim support about that.
Cheers

I experienced the same issue after the latest firmware update. I own both the Mini and the Pro and every time I skip a song on Tidal connect (via app or Wiim app) I miss 0,5/1 sec of the next track. Hope they fix it in any way, I opened a ticket at Wiim support about that.
Cheers
update:
Wiim support replied me yesterday. They apologise for the inconvenience, saying that this bug will be fixed on next firmware version. This specifically concerns the Mini, but I replied that also the Pro has the same issue. By the way, Wiim Support seems to be very helpful, so I'm confident that these problems will be solved soon.
Let's see what happens

I see now, it seems it’s getting even worse. I will update my ticket complaining about that, if someone else is experiencing the same issue, please do the same. It’s really annoying

update:
Wiim support replied me yesterday. They apologise for the inconvenience, saying that this bug will be fixed on next firmware version. This specifically concerns the Mini, but I replied that also the Pro has the same issue. By the way, Wiim Support seems to be very helpful, so I'm confident that these problems will be solved soon.
Let's see what happens
Sound like it still happen....

Back