TV as source to WiiM Pro via SPDIF - can I still control volume using the app?

stickers66

I am looking to purchase a WiiM Pro for my TV room/den. Since it is a streamer I would most likely use Chromecast or Spotify from my Android, but occasionally I like to use Spotify or YouTube from my TV. I would hook the TV into the WiiM Pro via optical and use the DAC built into the WiiM. The WiiM would then feed my amplifier.
The question I have is whether I can still control the output on the WiiM with the app when using the optical input? My amplifier does not have a remote control, and since I would be taking a digital feed from my TV, the TV remote volume control won't work.

Well, you can. But think of it like any other device with variable output you connect to the Amp. You need to set the Amp to your max Volume as you would like to hear. Then you can control it via the App; e.g. level it down.

I have set the Wiim to fixed volume as I dont want to level up the volume of the Amp if not needed. As a result, I have to use the remote control of the Amp to control volume. The downside of this is that Volume control within 3rd party apps does not work (e.g. connected via Spotify or Tidal Connect).

Well, you can. But think of it like any other device with variable output you connect to the Amp. You need to set the Amp to your max Volume as you would like to hear. Then you can control it via the App; e.g. level it down.

I have set the Wiim to fixed volume as I dont want to level up the volume of the Amp if not needed. As a result, I have to use the remote control of the Amp to control volume. The downside of this is that Volume control within 3rd party apps does not work (e.g. connected via Spotify or Tidal Connect).
This is very much how I intend to do it. It's not ideal, but it works with my Airport Express where I have it plugged into my other amp - and that amp has a remote. Who knows, i may not ever bothering using the TV as source if I can cast/stream using my Android.
Thanks for your reply!

Back