Unable to use line input with AirPlay 2 Output

Spiv

I think I made a mistake?

Just received my Wiim Pro and connected an audio source to the line in, but I can't figure out how to send it to an AirPlay 2 destination.

I'm beginning to think this isn't possible? The only info I see in the app and help is the ability to group multiple WiiM units together and have the line in content play on more than one Wiim?

I was really excited that I could use this to get physical CD player and/or Vinyl record player input routed to AirPlay 2 destinations such as Homepod and Sonos instead of buying a $700 Sonos AMP or Sonos Port to do it.

I guess the WiiM would need to also be an AiPlay 2 client so it can route the line in back over the network to other AirPlay 2 destinations?

A bit of a tautology.
Just came across the Arylic boxes. Interesting models with built-in amp for single box solution cheaper than Wiim plus external amp and no extra wires and power cords.
Most of them use the outdated A31 Linkplay module, which doesn't perform anywhere near the level of the WiiM devices in the digital domain. The built-in amp is very likely to have high distortion, as well.

Funny in that Linkplay brags about Wiim being one of their customers.
Why shouldn't they? They're providing the (current) SOTA component to WiiM, while providing a comparatively obsolete component to Arylic. Like any company, they're happy to push products and make money however they can.

WiiM’s HQ is at “Linkplay Technology Inc., 8000 Jarvis Avenue Suite #130 Newark, CA 94560” and some replies I’ve had from WiiM personnel have been @linkplay.com. So to me WiiM is Linkplay or a subsidiary at least.

Last edited:
Back