Upgrade PS or battery users?

Bikesnbeats

Hi! I’m a new WiiM Pro user and I love it s far! It’s almost as good as my disc player and I think it could be better! Anyone using an upgraded power supply or a back up battery to run their WiiM. I tested it today and it only requires a couple watts to operate so maybe some kind of noise redirection would help? Just wondering…

I'm not advocating one direction or another, just noting that within the post in this link
it says

Note: In addition to the supplied USB adapter, I also tested the WiiM Pro with two different USB chargers, from either Google Pixel or Xiaomi, then with a 5V/2.4A battery/power bank. So far, I measured absolutely no difference to speak about (at least not in the 20Hz-20kHz range).

I'm not advocating one direction or another, just noting that within the post in this link
it says

Note: In addition to the supplied USB adapter, I also tested the WiiM Pro with two different USB chargers, from either Google Pixel or Xiaomi, then with a 5V/2.4A battery/power bank. So far, I measured absolutely no difference to speak about (at least not in the 20Hz-20kHz range).
Bear in mind that such tests are not performed in the live environment with the full audio chain. While the power choice can be irrelevant for Pro, it can still affect other chain elements and thus can have an influence on the audio.

Bear in mind that such tests are not performed in the live environment with the full audio chain. While the power choice can be irrelevant for Pro, it can still affect other chain elements and thus can have an influence on the audio.
Agreed. I don't care what gizmos you (as in, anyone, not specifically you!) does or doesn't use to make whatever improvements they see fit, whether backed by science or voodoo or snake oil.
Whatever sounds good is good - it should be all about enjoying the music.

You need to do careful a/b testing to make sure it's not snake oil
And if it needs to be that careful then one is likely to be listening to the system, not the music!

I went hifi shopping yesterday, looking at a new dac/headphone amp/headphone setup.
Took my existing setup with me (line 2 in signature below).
Tried a few headphone amps, and didn't find anything that sounded "better".
Most sounded no different, in the relatively short time I had with each.

Found one dac/amp combo that sounded worse, and (un?) fortunately it was the one I thought I'd be most interested in trying, from reading/watching lots of reviews.

Result - itch scratched, money saved :)

Then moved on to trying headphones, and the difference between them was instantly obvious, but it seems most other people must have big heads as even on the smallest headband setting some of them were just falling down past my ears!
I did end up buying a pair, but once again, not the ones I went there to try from reading reviews as they just sounded lifeless to me.
Glad I didn't buy them from stereonet without trying them!

Go to a trade show and ask any designer of pro audio gear what they think of power supply upgrades and expensive cables

You will see their eyes roll skywards!

I use a linear power supply, but to fed my DAC. For Pro or Mini i think that is unuseful

it says

You can hear at 20khz?! Not trying to poke you in the eye, but I'm long past that at 58 yrs old, I went to a website that outputs sound at any frequency you want, hooked to my Audio Engine USB DAC and my really good desktop speakers AND headphones. Sadly, I could not hear past 15khz or so.... YMMV! https://www.rapidtables.com/tools/tone-generator.html?f=440

I substituted an Allo Nirvana PS for the stock one. It's still a switch mode supply but a very good one. I felt it removed a slight harshness from the audio. I didn't try to measure the difference. I save measurements for when I'm building a component, not for small mods like this. Anyway, I found it to be worthwhile.

it says

Hi so my WiiM mini will work off a 5v 2.4a power bank? That’s good if it does

Hi so my WiiM mini will work off a 5v 2.4a power bank? That’s good if it does
I attached mine (3M hook and loop tape) to a JBL Charge 3 bluetooth speaker which has a USB power output. Portable! At least around the house and for a limited amount of time.

Attachments

• KIMG1741.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
Back