Use WIIM PRO with Alexa

Antony67

Hi,
in the living room where I placed my WIIM PRO I also have an Alexa Echo.
I would like to be able to command the WIIM via echo but I didn't understand how to do it.
Can you help me by explaining the procedure step by step.
Thank you.

First of all, in the WiiM app, under Browse/ Amazon Alexa, link your Alexa account. Once that is complete, your WiiM device should appear in the Alexa app under Devices/Echo&Alexa with the name “WiiM Pro”.

You don’t say which music service you’re using, but you should be able to ask your Amazon Echo “Alexa, play music on WiiM Pro”.

Alternatively, if your Echo is already in an Alexa smart home device group, you can set the WiiM device as the default speaker for audio for that group by setting the Wiim as preferred speaker under the group’s Speaker setting, choosing the option to always play on that without having to specify the group name. If your echo isn’t already in a group, then in the alexa app under devices, choose add (+) , then add group, add room or device group, choose your echo and give the group a name like ‘living room’ or whatever you choose. When the group has been saved, select it on the devices page then edit, scroll down to the speaker setting and select that to specify the Wiim device as your preferred group speaker. After that, asking that echo “Alexa, play music” will play by default on the WiiM.

First of all, in the WiiM app, under Browse/ Amazon Alexa, link your Alexa account. Once that is complete, your WiiM device should appear in the Alexa app under Devices/Echo&Alexa with the name “WiiM Pro”.

You don’t say which music service you’re using, but you should be able to ask your Amazon Echo “Alexa, play music on WiiM Pro”.

Alternatively, if your Echo is already in an Alexa smart home device group, you can set the WiiM device as the default speaker for audio for that group by setting the Wiim as preferred speaker under the group’s Speaker setting, choosing the option to always play on that without having to specify the group name. If your echo isn’t already in a group, then in the alexa app under devices, choose add (+) , then add group, add room or device group, choose your echo and give the group a name like ‘living room’ or whatever you choose. When the group has been saved, select it on the devices page then edit, scroll down to the speaker setting and select that to specify the Wiim device as your preferred group speaker. After that, asking that echo “Alexa, play music” will play by default on the WiiM.
As I found, none of this works. Alexa cannot find itself, can't find anything to add, and just searches and gives up. Wiim can't either. It tends to prove the rule that no two devices from different mfrs will EVER work together. I am saving up for a gun so I can use either the wiims or echos as targets.

Help me pick which...

Works well for me and others, I’m listening to my Pro now after asking Alexa to play some music. See the latest reply in the thread “Wiim Mini not discovered by Alexa“ thread where the seemingly intractable issue was down to misconfiguration.

Where does it fail for you? I don’t understand what you mean by “Alexa can’t find itself” for example…

As I found, none of this works. Alexa cannot find itself, can't find anything to add, and just searches and gives up. Wiim can't either. It tends to prove the rule that no two devices from different mfrs will EVER work together. I am saving up for a gun so I can use either the wiims or echos as targets.

Help me pick which...
ROFL. They actually work perfectly together.

Hi,
in the living room where I placed my WIIM PRO I also have an Alexa Echo.
I would like to be able to command the WIIM via echo but I didn't understand how to do it.
Can you help me by explaining the procedure step by step.
Thank you.

i setup alexa on my phone, and since i didn't have any alexa speaker, i use wiim remote control to send command to play music...but, it play music only from amazon and i have deezer...how i can play deezer using remote voice command? do i have to log into deezer in amazon alexa app?

i setup alexa on my phone, and since i didn't have any alexa speaker, i use wiim remote control to send command to play music...but, it play music only from amazon and i have deezer...how i can play deezer using remote voice command? do i have to log into deezer in amazon alexa app?
Yeah, Alexa voice control will only play music from services supported by Alexa and linked under the settings/music&podcast/link new service section in the alexa app. You will also need to set Deezer as your default music service there too, or add “from Deezer” when you make a voice request.

I was wondering if the Alexa voice-commands could be expanded to call up individual presets, e.g. 'Alexa, play Preset 3'. This would get around the obstacle of having to add individual services to the 'Alexa-feature-set', e.g. vTuner, which I personally would like to see/hear.

@ WIIM-experts, is this something that could be done or is it maybe already available?

TIA!

I was wondering if the Alexa voice-commands could be expanded to call up individual presets, e.g. 'Alexa, play Preset 3'. This would get around the obstacle of having to add individual services to the 'Alexa-feature-set', e.g. vTuner, which I personally would like to see/hear.

@ WIIM-experts, is this something that could be done or is it maybe already available?

TIA!
It is documented in the WiiM FAQ but hasn’t yet been implemented and has been discussed before. I’d suggest you raise a ticket to WiiM to ask them to move it up the development queue.

It is documented in the WiiM FAQ but hasn’t yet been implemented and has been discussed before. I’d suggest you raise a ticket to WiiM to ask them to move it up the development queue.
Thanks! Ticket raised.

Back