Using mini and pro

Staresyj

Major Contributor
Some advice please? I have my Wiim pro fully integrated in my main audio rack. I’m thinking of buying the mini as a streaming source for my desktop headphone stack (source DAC headphone Amp). Is it possible to run the 2 Wiims independently of each other or better to create a link between the two even though I will only listen to one system at a time?

Both scenarios are possible. I have my Pro and Mini working in similar conditions and separately.

Both scenarios are possible. I have my Pro and Mini working in similar conditions and separately.
Thanks for the reply. So when I go through the set up of the mini I just ignore (if it pops up) any syncing options? Do you find any advantages or disadvantages of using 2 devices independently and vice versa

Thanks for the reply. So when I go through the set up of the mini I just ignore (if it pops up) any syncing options? Do you find any advantages or disadvantages of using 2 devices independently and vice versa
I have connected both the Mini and the Pro to the same external DAC.
There are no advantages or disadvantages. I can simply choose which of the two I want to use :)
Of course since one is connected via SPDIF and the other via COAX I have to remember to change the output on the DAC

I have connected both the Mini and the Pro to the same external DAC.
There are no advantages or disadvantages. I can simply choose which of the two I want to use :)
Of course since one is connected via SPDIF and the other via COAX I have to remember to change the output on the DAC
Thanks for the reply! I am going to be using a separate DAC and headphone amp for headphone listening for me more convenient. My takeaway is that I can pair the mini with my wifi and access the mini via the app for headphone listening and access the pro for main speaker listening as and when!

A question to someone who has "synced" two WiiM's - am I correct in thinking this is done via some microphone measurement? If I am correct then surely the two devices need to be in earshot (mic shot) of each other?

I am persisting with the testing of WiiM Mini with LMS but I sent the Pro back when it eventually arrived as it wasn't really an upgrade on my main streamer. I neglected to test sync before it went back.

Thanks for the reply! I am going to be using a separate DAC and headphone amp for headphone listening for me more convenient. My takeaway is that I can pair the mini with my wifi and access the mini via the app for headphone listening and access the pro for main speaker listening as and when!
Correct. I have a pro in my main setup and another pro (used to be a mini there) in my headphone setup.
Completely independent from each other.
Unless you want to link them together so the same music plays on both.
(Which is why I swapped out the mini for a pro, as I also have an amp and speakers there too so can now use it for either.)

I have another hifi setup the mini can slot into, but it's a fairly old, analog amp, so will need to be the mini analog output :eek: until I find another dac.
The endless joy of hi fi shopping :D

A question to someone who has "synced" two WiiM's - am I correct in thinking this is done via some microphone measurement? If I am correct then surely the two devices need to be in earshot (mic shot) of each other?

I am persisting with the testing of WiiM Mini with LMS but I sent the Pro back when it eventually arrived as it wasn't really an upgrade on my main streamer. I neglected to test sync before it went back.
The small pin hole in the mini, for example, is the mic for sync measurement so yes, I’d guess they’d need to be in earshot of each other to measure sync. If they weren’t, might there be an argument that sync no longer matters, or matters less?

The small pin hole in the mini, for example, is the mic for sync measurement so yes, I’d guess they’d need to be in earshot of each other to measure sync. If they weren’t, might there be an argument that sync no longer matters, or matters less?
True.

tbh, not sure how it works with the mic. My understanding is that each wiim just needs to be close to its speakers so it can hear what it is doing.
Don't know how they then sync up though!
I also thought you could manually set up sync yourself.

I have two pros in different parts of the house and linked them the other day.
To my great surprise, the music playing from both was synched exceptionally well "straight out of the box".
I didn't feel the need to adjust them at all.

And not that it probably matters, but both are on wi fi.

I assumed the microphone was used to detect the delay from a device (mini or pro) to its connected speaker only, not to other WiiM's. When you then pair devices these delays can then be taken into account....but that would assume the speakers are equidistant from the listener, maybe that's what the manual adjustment is for?

@d6jg I haven't forgot to test this with LMS, I'll try and do it today.

Correct. I have a pro in my main setup and another pro (used to be a mini there) in my headphone setup.
Completely independent from each other.
Unless you want to link them together so the same music plays on both.
(Which is why I swapped out the mini for a pro, as I also have an amp and speakers there too so can now use it for either.)

I have another hifi setup the mini can slot into, but it's a fairly old, analog amp, so will need to be the mini analog output :eek:until I find another dac.
The endless joy of hi fi shopping :D
I really enjoy the functionality of the Pro, so I am tempted to bypass the mini as the 2nd Wiim device and go straight to another Pro. I started my Wiim streamer journey with the Pro and therefore have no experience of the mini, but, given it will be used exclusively for my headphone rig I’m thinking the simple toslink output to a DAC and then to headamp is all I really need?

I really enjoy the functionality of the Pro, so I am tempted to bypass the mini as the 2nd Wiim device and go straight to another Pro. I started my Wiim streamer journey with the Pro and therefore have no experience of the mini, but, given it will be used exclusively for my headphone rig I’m thinking the simple toslink output to a DAC and then to headamp is all I really need?
If you don't need the extra functionality the pro does (chromecast, ethernet, coax) and might (roon and ....?) offer then, yes, I'd agree a mini would serve nicely.

If you are going to use WiFi connection and Optical then the Mini would be just as good s long as you don't also want it to work as Chromecast

Edit. Mr Ee must have presseed submit a second before me!

If you don't need the extra functionality the pro does (chromecast, ethernet, coax) and might (roon and ....?) offer then, yes, I'd agree a mini would serve nicely.
And lossless Amazon Music Alexa Multi Room Music (MRM) that the Mini doesn't support, not to mention spdif input etc

And lossless Amazon Music Alexa Multi Room Music (MRM) that the Mini doesn't support, not to mention spdif input etc
Multi room not really relevant for a headphone only implementation

You’ve raised a good point about the extra functionality. I only stream Qobuz currently as that is plug and play with the Pro and has all the digital music I could want and need, but, if I did extend to Amazon HD it would be limited. I don’t currently use Chromecast but that could change and I’d need to look at changing up to the pro which would be annoying.

On my opinion Mini & Pro are almost identical as sound. Pro has some more connections and functions. For example Chromecast. If you use Qobuz Chromecast is a necessary complement if you want have at least 24/96, but no Gapeless Music.
If you want have 24/192 and Gapeless Music you have to use BubbleUPnP and this App if i’m not wrong works with Mini too.
Unfortnately the App exist only for Android. For IOS there is Mconnect.
Not as good as BUPnP, but it does his work

Back