What best output to to use between coax and Spdif?

franck976

Hello,
I have a dac that can be used with coax cable and spdif cable , which one is the best in terms of performance WiiM PRO the spdif or the coax cable?

would be nice to have some pictures of the interior of a pro... (????)
I will allow you to see if the features to come are available, empty slots, inputs, outputs to come, etc. ( for oem products?)
see also if is isolated in digital output ( pulse or murata etc)...?
if assured is isolated in spdif in input of dac... as much to pass in spdif.
if historical more put forward than the toslink ... quite simply, it is more solid ...
just a pity that it is not from the bnc...
(
after side audio result...
So make the comparison... if you don't hear a difference or a difference... you will have your answer... the only one that matters)

Last edited:
would be nice to have some pictures of the interior of a pro... (????)
I will allow you to see if the features to come are available, empty slots, inputs, outputs to come, etc. ( for oem products?)
see also if is isolated in digital output ( pulse or murata etc)...?
if assured is isolated in spdif in input of dac... as much to pass in spdif.
if historical more put forward than the toslink ... quite simply, it is more solid ...
just a pity that it is not from the bnc...
(
after side audio result...
So make the comparison... if you don't hear a difference or a difference... you will have your answer... the only one that matters)
Ahhh morillon! There’s debate if you could hear it depending on someone’s ear. When we describe things some would criticize you with measurements and so on.

Hello,
I have a dac that can be used with coax cable and spdif cable , which one is the best in terms of performance WiiM PRO the spdif or the coax cable?
There should be no difference in the actual audio information sent through both types of connectors. I would go with optical if you can because it electronically isolates the WiiM from the DAC

Having got a Pro this week, I swear Coax connection sounds noticeably better
Both outputs send the same data with proper cabling. Cabling is not ok if there is any real difference, or your coax cable let something unwanted leak to your system if the output is not galvanic isolated and you like when sound is not transparent. Or inputs of your DAC have no equal performance.

In theory yes - but there are other factors such as the optical output stage.

In my case both are intact high quality cables and I have tried different DACs so I don't have any concerns on that front.

In theory yes - but there are other factors such as the optical output stage.

In my case both are intact high quality cables and I have tried different DACs so I don't have any concerns on that front.
And what is that "optical output stage", how it can make the same data producing different results?

In an ideal world, they should be identical. In practice however, the process of converting electrical signal to optical will inevitably have some impact on signal integrity
It has no impact on signal integrity. A simple test with capture on the DAC can prove that audio stream received by the DAC is the same regardless of the digital transport media.

It has no impact on signal integrity. A simple test with capture on the DAC can prove that audio stream received by the DAC is the same regardless of the digital transport media.
That doesn't explain why coax is frequently considered to sound better than optical though.

Both protocols have been around for roughly 30 years. Maybe there used to be a measurable difference in the early days, but I'm sure both technologies have been greatly improved since then.

Two things about optical and coax that I noticed. I have an ifi zen one signature dac. Sounds way better than built-in dac. But when connected via optical it can only accept up to 24/96. Plus sounded like a bunch of hi frequencies were missing. Tried different optical cables with no difference. Thought my LRS+ were just weak in the highs. Hooked up via coax and noticed it can work up to 24/192 with no noise from ifi dac. Plus I could hear much more high frequencies. Not my imagination but fact. Even when I reduced the coax output to 24/48 high frequencies remained. Overall very pleased with the unit.

Back