What will wiim send to DAC

All I know is you will not get lossless flac on HiFi plan when song's full MQA version is also available. You will get stripped down MQA variant instead.

Highly unlikely anyone can hear the difference in a blind test. I'm perfectly fine with Tidal HiFi, especially with their Veterans discount, particularly significant on this day.

I hear the difference and want to hear best quality especialy if I pay for something.

Last edited:
Then why Yamaha see it as PCM

Attachments

• IMG_20221111_184623.jpg
    IMG_20221111_184623.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 7
So it is next step from Wiim? Yamaha gets from wiim what itself produces in streamer mode?

then how does it relate to what you wrote that tidal is lossy? this FLAC is a lossy product from mqa? this album is in masters.

then how does it relate to what you wrote that tidal is lossy? this FLAC is a lossy product from mqa? this album is in masters.
FLAC compression is lossless, but will you get lossless content if you first encode CD audio to MP3 format, and then encode audio taken from MP3 to FLAC format?

It's up to you to choose a favorite music service based on criteria which are the most important for you.

Last edited:
On the subject of what will Wiim sent to dac...

If the Wiim is set to max output of 96khz and a track is played that has both a 192khz and 48khz version available from the source, such as Amazon, what happens?
Is the 192 track fetched, but downsampled in the wiim to 96 for output? But then it's not technically bit perfect.
Is the 48khz track chosen and sent at 48khz, bit perfect?
Something else?

Which leads into the Wiim Pro...
Pro has optical and coax out.
Are both active at the same time?
Will there still be a max output resolution option for configuration?
Will it only apply to the optical output, apply to both, or be configurable per output?
i.e. if optical is set to be limited to 96 but coax is 192... what happens in the situation above?

On the subject of what will Wiim sent to dac...

If the Wiim is set to max output of 96khz and a track is played that has both a 192khz and 48khz version available from the source, such as Amazon, what happens?
Is the 192 track fetched, but downsampled in the wiim to 96 for output? But then it's not technically bit perfect.
Is the 48khz track chosen and sent at 48khz, bit perfect?
Something else?

Which leads into the Wiim Pro...
Pro has optical and coax out.
Are both active at the same time?
Will there still be a max output resolution option for configuration?
Will it only apply to the optical output, apply to both, or be configurable per output?
i.e. if optical is set to be limited to 96 but coax is 192... what happens in the situation above?
AFAIK WiiM will try to avoid any resampling and will choose a variant which best suits selected sample rate.

We can just guess about Pro, so I guess no resolution configurable per output and only one output active at the same time.

I use Qobuz and my WiiM is set for max output (24 bits/192 kHz) playing through a JDS Laps DAC, so why does it only show “CD 16bits / 44,1 kHz” on a hi res track (24 bits / 96kHz)??A6C4D7C1-B3FB-4070-B442-84968C0D0249.jpeg

Back