WiiM + Allmusic + Tidal/Deezer/Qobuz

cc_rider

Major Contributor
I've been a long-time user of Allmusic.com. It's the source for reviews and bios on most of the streaming platforms (those that even bother to include these fundamental features). I don't care for ANY of the streaming services' UIs. They seem geared toward pushing cRap that I have no interest in, and hide the bios and reviews several layers down (if they even include them). Qobuz is probably the best at filtering out the cRap, but its Web UI is very slow and bloated, unlike Allmusic's, which is quite fast. At just $12/year, it offers much of the functionality of the far more expensive Roon, except for the streaming. Also, I like to stream from my huge desktop screen, not from a tiny phone. Pretty difficult to read the reviews/bios on a phone.

So, it makes sense to me to try to use Allmusic as the UI for streaming. As Deezer has the most accessible API, I started with it, but quickly found that it has huge holes in its jazz catalog, so a non-starter for me, a lifelong jazz listener. I've moved on to Tidal, mostly working, and far fewer gaps in the catalog. Once the Tidal version is complete, I'll give Qobuz a try, then will post everything on github in a few weeks. No playlist support, as I'm a jazz purist - I listen to albums, one at a time, in sequence. Always have, since the distant days of LP listening. Never made a mixtape, never created a playlist. Call me old-fashioned.

A preview:

Screenshot 2023-03-20 7.46.21 AM.png

Very interested to read this, I look forward to seeing what success you have with Qobuz.
I listen to a lot of Jazz also and recently switched to Qobuz as Tidal is increasingly offering only MQA versions in its library and apparently more and more of the CD quality versions are the MQA version just relabeled !? Regardless the Hi Res available on Qobuz sounds much better to my ears so if it’s possible to integrate all that extra info it’ll be wonderful, good luck.

Preliminary versions attached. Note that you can only run one of deezer/tidal/qobuz versions at a time. The embed extension shows what's playing on your WiiM in the Allmusic.com album page, and will work with any of the other extensions.

EDIT: Moved these to github:

To install, navigate in the Chrome browser to chrome://extensions and enable "Developer mode".
Click on the "Load unpacked" button, and navigate to where you unzipped one of these files.
Click on "Details / Extension options", which will pop up a dialog. Enter your WiiM's IP address.
Refresh the extension once or twice, navigate to allmusic.com, and then to an album's page. You should see something like this, with a list of available albums after you click the Search (Qobuz/Tidal/Deezer) button:

1679446496878.png

Last edited:
All of these broke when Allmusic updated their site recently. Finally getting around to getting them running again, starting with Tidal.

Screenshot 2024-02-18 7.57.16 AM.png

A 7” HDMI aux display in portrait mode is a bit too small, I’m thinking a 12” or so would work well here. The newer ones require just a single usb-c connector for signal and power. Allmusic actually works better in mobile mode, which simply requires changing the screen size in the computer’s screen management.

Haven’t tried dragging the WiiM app over here, but that should also work well.

IMG_1744.jpeg

WiiM app. More control, obviously, but less metadata. Off to look for inexpensive 12” portable monitors. They’re down around $60, definitely cheap enough…

IMG_1745.jpeg

Last edited:
Back