Wiim mini for creating stereo pair

TenaciousC

I feature I noticed on the Wiim pages but nobody talks about is the option to use it for stereo pairing 2 speakers.
For me personally, this option alone would already be sufficient reason for me to get a couple of wiim mini, however, nobody talks about this, is this function working correctly?

The idea would be the following:
I have 2 Beoplay M5 speakers in my poolhouse, b&o in all its lack of wisdom decided these cannot be stereo paired, so I'm really missing the stereo effect. The M5 speakers have an optical in, would hooking both up with a wiim mini solve my issue and allow me to get a good stereo effect?

I received a pro the other day and noticed the stereo pairing option whilst testing it's synchronization over UPnP.
I haven't got a use case for pairing (or synchronization come to that) as they're for systems in different rooms, so I had to use headphones plugged into the mini whilst the pro was plugged into my dac. I plan to have a quick test of the stereo pairing tomorrow, but it certainly seems as though it should work with the M5's.

Thanks for the reaction, it reminded me to reply :)

I had a listen over UPnP yesterday, and whilst it would probably be quite difficult to tell if there was a timing issue (with a earphone in my left ear and a set of speakers to my right) it seemed absolutely fine.

It's an advertised feature so if it doesn't work just send them back. There's also an auto/manual sync feature so as long as the Beoplay's behave themselves you should be fine.

Thanks for the reaction, it reminded me to reply :)

I had a listen over UPnP yesterday, and whilst it would probably be quite difficult to tell if there was a timing issue (with a earphone in my left ear and a set of speakers to my right) it seemed absolutely fine.

It's an advertised feature so if it doesn't work just send them back. There's also an auto/manual sync feature so as long as the Beoplay's behave themselves you should be fine.
Thanks for your answer, appreciated!
I might follow your advise about the testing it and sending it back if not working fine (but I tend to do research first because I don't want to be that person who constantly send stuff back to the stores)
The only thing that I'm afraid off still is the M5s, it seems they might give a delay when using line in, even if over optical... (Last time I buy Beoplay products, next time I'll stay at my favorite brand, B&W).
What I'm going to do as final test is connect 1 speaker via an airplay streamer and one over a raspberry pi running roon, if both are in sync I should be good.
Again, many thanks for your answer, you rock!

I might follow your advise about the testing it and sending it back if not working fine (but I tend to do research first because I don't want to be that person who constantly send stuff back to the stores)
I too am that person, but if it's an advertised feature and it doesn't work then I have no problem with it at all.

What I'm going to do as final test is connect 1 speaker via an airplay streamer and one over a raspberry pi running roon, if both are in sync I should be good.
Again, many thanks for your answer, you rock!
Is Roon in that example controlling the sync between the streamers? I've got to admit, I have been impressed with the features that do work ;)

Also bear in mind that the WiiM app for UPnP browsing is very basic, and if you want to use another app then I don't think you get gapless. I just stumbled across this yesterday (after having tested lots of much more compliated scenarios that i'll never use). Proxying the speakers with BubbleUPnP server and setting them to gapless improved things, but I'm still testing various scenarios.

EDIT: Another user has said gapless is working for him so it may be my testing approach (I use sox to split a file into 20 second chunks so I don't have to wait an age to test).

Last edited:
I’m not going to get myself a second Mini but I’m sort of interested to know if the native stereo pairing is any good and also whether stereo pairing via LMS and UPnP/DLNA Bridge also works.

I’m not going to get myself a second Mini but I’m sort of interested to know if the native stereo pairing is any good and also whether stereo pairing via LMS and UPnP/DLNA Bridge also works.
I've got to sort gapless playback out first as something has gone awry this end as even Sonos isn't working (through UPnP) which it always was. Assuming I can sort that then I'll have a look at LMS, but I did test its gapless with .19 last night and it was stumbling, but then that could have been due to something else...

Given you're Mr LMS I thought it might be of some interest.

I retested playing gaplessly and with 20 second track durations both MinimServer via BubbleUPnP and LMS failed every other transition. When I increased each track duration to 30 they were all successful, so there's something WiiM needs to address there.

EDIT: WiiM apps plays them flawlessly.

Last edited:
I’m surprised you say that as yesterday I played all sorts on the Mini with 2.1.19 and not one hiccough. Mine is currently set at 15. I wasn’t playing classical stuff though and not much gapless. It was mainly a Qobuz Prog rock playlist

Philippe who developed the bridge is convinced there is something wrong with the upnp implementation on the WiiM

I’m surprised you say that as yesterday I played all sorts on the Mini with 2.1.19 and not one hiccough. Mine is currently set at 15.
Do you mean each track was 15 seconds in length?

Maybe I wasn't clear. In my first test I had a playlist of 13 songs each 20 seconds in length (all cut from a single song so need to be played gaplessly) and every other track transition wasn't gapless (that's what I meant by failed).

In the second test I had 9 tracks of 30 seconds in duration and they all played gaplessly.

Philippe who developed the bridge is convinced there is something wrong with the upnp implementation on the WiiM
I think there's defintely something that can be improved, but I think it covers 99.9% of real world scenarios.

I meant I have the bridge set for a 15sec delay on next track

Back