WiiM Pro 12V trigger behavior question - Toslink input

jhaider

I currently use two WiiM Minis - one that replaced an flaking-out AirPort Express to run a zone audio system, and one adds AirPlay to an RME ADI-2 Pro used as desktop headphone amp. They have been a very products for me, so when I saw WiiM offer the Pro version with a 12V trigger with auto standby functionality I thought it would be great for a system with a preamp that has a trigger INPUT (as well as trigger outs) but no auto-standby.

But I have two questions about the auto-standby functionality:

1) Does the trigger turn on when the optical input is used?
2) Assuming the answer to #1is yes, does auto-standby also work with the optical input?. That is to say, if the optical source goes off, does the WiiM auto standby timer kick on and turn the timer off?

Also, as an aside, I hope WiiM includes a pigtail style 2.5mm to 3.5mm trigger adapter in future production runs (maybe leave out the optical cable if it's a cost issue - that's a much easier cable to source) and the v2 of WiiM Pro has a normal 3.5mm trigger output. For me personally this is not an issue - I have spare 2.5mm mono pigtail adapters from the set I purchased to use third party IR blasters with a Harmony Hub. But I could see it being very frustrating for someone who bought WiiM Pro over Mini solely because of the trigger, only to be delayed by the need to source a non-standard trigger cable.

Yes, and the Pro has the option to auto sense the optical (or analog) input and switch inputs as long as the device is idle. Convenient if connecting to a TV. Turning on the TV takes the Pro out of standby and sends a 12V signal.
2) Assuming the answer to #1is yes, does auto-standby also work with the optical input?. That is to say, if the optical source goes off, does the WiiM auto standby timer kick on and turn the timer off?
The amp I have connected to the 12V only gets triggered on and then auto-standbys after a (much too short) time with no signal but my understanding is the Pros standby timer starts once no signal is detected; optical, WIFI, or otherwise. Once it enters standby it should send a trigger off signal.
Also, as an aside, I hope WiiM includes a pigtail style 2.5mm to 3.5mm trigger adapter in future production runs (maybe leave out the optical cable if it's a cost issue - that's a much easier cable to source) and the v2 of WiiM Pro has a normal 3.5mm trigger output. For me personally this is not an issue - I have spare 2.5mm mono pigtail adapters from the set I purchased to use third party IR blasters with a Harmony Hub. But I could see it being very frustrating for someone who bought WiiM Pro over Mini solely because of the trigger, only to be delayed by the need to source a non-standard trigger cable.
Exactly the issue I ran into. I chose the Pro over the Mini primarily because of the built-in Chromecast, but the trigger was definitely a plus. It arrives, I have no 2.5mm cables/adapters, and I buy one and wait for it to arrive. Not a deal breaker, but definitely an inconvenience that would be easily solved with an included pigtail. Or at least some mention of the non-standard size on the product page.

The amp I have connected to the 12V only gets triggered on and then auto-standbys after a (much too short) time with no signal but my understanding is the Pros standby timer starts once no signal is detected; optical, WIFI, or otherwise. Once it enters standby it should send a trigger off signal.

Thanks for the reply! I'm curious - does the optical signal have to be completely off, or just idle (if you know). Reason I ask is, I have to use a coax-to-Toslink adapter (goal is connect a Park Audio Puffin phono preamp to the WiiM Pro, to get the benefit of the 12V trigger; my Puffin only has coax digital output) and the adapter seems to always be lit up to some degree.

I currently use two WiiM Minis - one that replaced an flaking-out AirPort Express to run a zone audio system, and one adds AirPlay to an RME ADI-2 Pro used as desktop headphone amp. They have been a very products for me, so when I saw WiiM offer the Pro version with a 12V trigger with auto standby functionality I thought it would be great for a system with a preamp that has a trigger INPUT (as well as trigger outs) but no auto-standby.

But I have two questions about the auto-standby functionality:

Hi Jhaider,

Please find my comments below regarding the usage of trigger.

When there's active playback session from whatever audio sources (network, BT, physical input), the trigger will turn high. Whenever there's no audio playback for 2.5 minutes, the trigger will turn low. It's not related to system standby that you can set the idle period before entering.

Yes, it works with optical input. However, when you stop using the optical input, please pause it or switch to other input mode after finishing using it. Currently, the device doesn't detect the idle state for the optical input (a known issue we'll fix by end of Feb.).

3) Choice of 2.5mm trigger over 3.5mm one
It seems to be a stupid choice of 2.5mm over the 3.5mm. We have a hot debate of this when we design this product. We are afraid some users directly plug in their 3.5mm headphone by mistake thus damage their device. Thus, the 2.5mm is chosen against the 3.5mm. We'll put a 2.5mm to 3.5mm trigger adapter into the package for people who don't have this spare trigger adapter. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Thank you!

Hi Jhaider,

When there's active playback session from whatever audio sources (network, BT, physical input), the trigger will turn high. Whenever there's no audio playback for 2.5 minutes, the trigger will turn low. It's not related to system standby that you can set the idle period before entering.

Yes, it works with optical input. However, when you stop using the optical input, please pause it or switch to other input mode after finishing using it. Currently, the device doesn't detect the idle state for the optical input (a known issue we'll fix by end of Feb.).

It seems to be a stupid choice of 2.5mm over the 3.5mm. We have a hot debate of this when we design this product. We are afraid some users directly plug in their 3.5mm headphone by mistake thus damage their device. Thus, the 2.5mm is chosen against the 3.5mm. We'll put a 2.5mm to 3.5mm trigger adapter into the package for people who don't have this spare trigger adapter. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Thank you!
Hi @WiiM Support,

so if i understand correctly, trigger switch off - on will happen in case of signal whatever is the input source (network included), right?
in case of no signal on inputs, trigger will switch from on to off but this will not happen on basis of the standby value we set in the app. am i right?
Can you please share which is the time needed for this trigger switch (on - off)? are you planning to add such setting in a future firmware release?

thank you!

Hi Jhaider,

Interesting, thanks for the insight.

Looking forward to this fix for my Pro! Unfortunately my optical device is a bit cobbled - turntable to phono pre with coax digital output to coax-toslink adapter. And to complete the circle, that gear turns on/off based on the 12v trigger…

Speaking of which, I have a feature request: a separate trigger high/low button in the app, that overrides the standard settings and only powers off if idle for a very long time (like 4 hours). My specific use case for that is room correction calibration from a computer. Sure, one can keep a dummy stream going too, but a trigger power button would be cleaner.

It seems to be a stupid choice of 2.5mm over the 3.5mm. We have a hot debate of this when we design this product.

I can guess which side you were on :)

Last edited:
Has this known issue been fixed?

Dear support,

could you please make this delay configurable? 2.5 minutes is nearly not enough.

Ten seconds would be plenty of leeway for me! 2.5m makes it excruciating to test the trigger setup.

For testing maybe you need less, and even that you only need one time.
For real world application 2.5 min is not enough. I would need at a minimum 20 min.

February and March have been and gone and it is almost the end of April, but still no fix!

Back