WIIM Pro asking for Airplay code that doesn't exist - for Airplay or "Home" app to add

HappyHighwayman

I just set up the WIIM Pro and it works fine except for Airplay from my iPhone. The iPhone is naturally on wifi while the WIIM is on wifi and Ethernet.

If I choose Airplay from Apple Music OR attempt to add it as a "Home" accessory, it asks for a passcode. There is no option in the Home app to disable the password as indicated by screenshots from the pages I've googled. I do not have a homepod.

The Mac Mini, which is on the ethernet network only, can stream to the WIIM pro via Airplay.

Ideas?

I think you've defined a mandatory passcode on the device which acts a Home hub for your network.
I don't have any home hub devices, I only opened the Home app to try and fix this issue.
I can't turn off the password requirement because APple's software only allows it if there's a device already attached, which I can't do.

This is a poor design flaw on WIIM's part because if it asks for a password the WIIM device must be generating one.

I don't have any home hub devices, I only opened the Home app to try and fix this issue.
I can't turn off the password requirement because APple's software only allows it if there's a device already attached, which I can't do.

This is a poor design flaw on WIIM's part because if it asks for a password the WIIM device must be generating one.
I don’t recall having to enter any codes when using Airplay to my WiiM devices.

When this happens, use the feedback section in the WiiM app to raise a ticket so they can inspect your logs.

They have already responded. Their English seems to be poor. I can AirPlay from my Mac Mini with no issues.

I agree I shouldn't have to enter any codes, I can Airplay to my Roku without issue, but the Roku also has a HDMI so it could feed me a code if it needed.

Did you originally set up Airplay for your WiiM device as per this link? https://faq.wiimhome.com/support/so...iim-mini-into-apple-home-app-as-an-accessory- . Do they then appear in the Home app?

Also, under Home Settings, click back on Homes to see if your app has more than one home - mine has two “My home“ entries for some reason. The one which shows my WiiM devices has the “speakers&tv” setting where you can set the requirement for a password or not, while the other which has my lights etc doesn’t have that option.

Last edited:
I don't have more than one home. If I attempt to add the WIIM as an accessory...it asks for the Airplay password.
I've deleted and tried adding new homes. I don't even need the home app.....this WIIM requirement is weird.

Is your phone where the Home app resides on the same wifi network as the WiiM device? I’d try a factory reset of the WiiM device and try again. I’d also do a hard reboot of your phone.
The need for those steps to add them as an accessory to the Apple Home app seems to be a Siri/Airplay 2 requirement - B&O for example have the same instructions.

I factory reset it several times.
Originally I had it hooked up via ethernet, but I disconnected it for setup and did it via wifi and same issue. I have an Eero network, only one wifi network.

I'll try rebooting the phone.

Yes those are the only apple devices, iPhone and 2 Mac Minis. The Mac Minis can connect.

Their instructions aside from being poor english doesn't make any sense to me:
"Because the Wiim Pro added to Home App is not this Apple account, so you can't change setting.

You can do a factory reset on the Wiim Pro and use your iPhone add to Home App."

Funny they don't mention you need a hub to use airplay. Why don't they just allow you to set a code in the app? It's the device asking for a code, not anything apple. On the Macs it appears as an audio option.

I do not think that a hub is required for an AirPlay but maybe a pass is always required when a hub is not present. No idea though how to get a pass in such situation when no password section is visible in the Home settings and the AirPlay device is not an Apple one.

Yes those are the only apple devices, iPhone and 2 Mac Minis. The Mac Minis can connect.

Their instructions aside from being poor english doesn't make any sense to me:
"Because the Wiim Pro added to Home App is not this Apple account, so you can't change setting.

You can do a factory reset on the Wiim Pro and use your iPhone add to Home App."

Funny they don't mention you need a hub to use airplay. Why don't they just allow you to set a code in the app? It's the device asking for a code, not anything apple. On the Macs it appears as an audio option.
You don’t need a hub to use Airplay, as I understand it you only need a device like a HomePod or Apple TV to act as a hub if you want remote access which doesn’t apply in the case of the WiiM. Re the mention of the Apple account, I take that as meaning the WiiM isn’t associated to an apple id like the Mac or iphone is, so you have to add it as an accessory thru the Apple home app.
I‘d maybe contact Apple support to ask why a device needs a password for Airplay when the Home app doesn’t appear to have a home with the security setting option. I don’t see it as the Wiim asking for a password, but the airplay function on your phone asking that when you try to Airplay to a non apple device.

I do not think that a hub is required for an AirPlay but maybe a pass is always required when a hub is not present. No idea though how to get a pass in such situation when no password section is visible in the Home settings and the AirPlay device is not an Apple one.
I don’t recall having to use a passcode when I first setup my WiiMs for airplay, not for my Linn amp when I tried Airplay on that. I don’t have any apple devices other than my iPad.

I recognize this is unusual except their instructions for solving it doesn't solve my problem. I can't believe in all their testing they didn't run into this and I am unique.

A workaround for now is to use Bluetooth for anything I want to stream but it defeats a lot of the point. My main music is Apple music and it can only access the sounds directly that are on my iPhone...I like to search apple music and then Airstream it.

Back