Wiim Pro / Duok ST-01 @ Tidal

George Dance

I’ve recently got the Wiim Pro from Amazon, it’s connected by Ethernet cable into the back of the WiFi router and into the amplifier by RCA cable, via the onboard Wiim DAC. My intention was to have the shortest possible & cleanest signal path. I‘m using an iPad for file selection.

I’m wondering if there is any difference to the signal path if I load Tidal Connect onto the iPad and link into to Wiim software, or to do the reverse and load the Wiim app onto the iPad and then connect into tidal from inside the software. I was wondering if there might be an internet linking jumping in somewhere with the first option. Grateful for any guidance.

Welcome! Did you try both variations? If so, did you hear any difference? And maybe it is worth a try with the DOUK's DAC. Again two chances to listen. My opinion, very personal of course, is: trust your ears. But I really not believe that there is a listenable one with your equipment, so do not care about the signal path. The most "dangerous" part is Tidal itself. So long as you use CD quality it might be ok. When you trust in their MQA.....you do not have to think about a clean path.

load Tidal Connect onto the iPad and link into to Wiim software
I guess you've meant Tidal Connect here using Tidal app and the device itself. It's the preferable way if you use HiFi Plus and you want to get MQA unfolding for the best SQ in Tidal.
load the Wiim app onto the iPad and then connect into tidal from inside the software
If it's the Tidal service within WiiM app, you cannot use MQA unfolding. In case of HiFi subscription it's irrelevant which way do you choose, you will get the same quality.

Back