WiiM Pro Optical Input Audio Drop Outs

MrChips

I’m a recent new owner of a Wiim Pro. I’m experiencing audio drop outs when watching TV with the TV connected to the optical input of the Pro. The drop outs last a second or two and seem to occur more often when the Pro comes out of standby for the first few minutes but then do occur again randomly but less frequently thereafter. I’ve tried changing the optical cable, reseating the optical connections, reducing the bitrate, disabling auto sensing but nothing resolves it. Connecting the TV directly to the powered speaker with the same optical cable and there are no audio drop outs at all. When streaming over Wi-Fi on the Pro there are no audio drop outs so the optical out of the Pro isn’t the problem. The firmware is latest 4.8.511042. I’ve seen the Pro has had lots of optical issues resolved in previous firmware updates but wondering is this issue specific to my Pro or a general problem. Should I return my device? Does anyone else experience this? My TV is a Samsung nu8000. Thanks.

I’m a recent new owner of a Wiim Pro. I’m experiencing audio drop outs when watching TV with the TV connected to the optical input of the Pro. The drop outs last a second or two and seem to occur more often when the Pro comes out of standby for the first few minutes but then do occur again randomly but less frequently thereafter. I’ve tried changing the optical cable, reseating the optical connections, reducing the bitrate, disabling auto sensing but nothing resolves it. Connecting the TV directly to the powered speaker with the same optical cable and there are no audio drop outs at all. When streaming over Wi-Fi on the Pro there are no audio drop outs so the optical out of the Pro isn’t the problem. The firmware is latest 4.8.511042. I’ve seen the Pro has had lots of optical issues resolved in previous firmware updates but wondering is this issue specific to my Pro or a general problem. Should I return my device? Does anyone else experience this? My TV is a Samsung nu8000. Thanks.
The issue in general is that Pro seems to use its own clock for a content received over digital in and sent over digital out. That means that Pro has to handle somehow a clock deviation which affects the audio stream. Usually a content can be resampled with the destination clock or FIFO buffers can be used to store the differential data. The Pro seems to use buffers which constantly increase (when incoming clock is faster) or decrease (when incoming clock is slower). Unfortunately a situation when buffer is underrun or overrun is inevitable, and it's a matter of time when playback will interrupt because of the buffer incident.
But, there was a FW update today and I observe a bit different behavior which requires a closer look.

The issue in general is that Pro seems to use its own clock for a content received over digital in and sent over digital out. That means that Pro has to handle somehow a clock deviation which affects the audio stream. Usually a content can be resampled with the destination clock or FIFO buffers can be used to store the differential data. The Pro seems to use buffers which constantly increase (when incoming clock is faster) or decrease (when incoming clock is slower). Unfortunately a situation when buffer is underrun or overrun is inevitable, and it's a matter of time when playback will interrupt because of the buffer incident.
But, there was a FW update today and I observe a bit different behavior which requires a closer look.
with this new firmware, you observe an evolution on the analog output?
maybe wiim finally realizes that it could be positive to invest a little in skills and temp, thoughts on the audio aspect... firmware side is lacking of course on hardware ( too late)...
;-)

with this new firmware, you observe an evolution on the analog output?
maybe wiim finally realizes that it could be positive to invest a little in skills and temp, thoughts on the audio aspect... firmware side is lacking of course on hardware...
;-)
I didn't touch the analog part yet, only the digital domain. But I can see something new in the digital input - output behavior. Instead of using its own clock all the time Pro seems to show an adaptive approach - at the beginning its own clock and the buffering, and after some time it seems to switch to the incoming clock and uses it instead. No audible buffer underrun/overrun incident.
Well, not audible when ASRC DAC is used. It's probably still audible in case of other DACs.

Last edited:
I didn't touch the analog part yet, only the digital domain. But I can see something new in the digital input - output behavior. Instead of using its own clock all the time Pro seems to show an adaptive approach - at the beginning its own clock and the buffering, and after some time it seems to switch to the incoming clock and uses it instead. No audible buffer underrun/overrun incident.
Well, not audible when ASRC DAC is used. It's probably still audible in case of other DACs.
Is the new firmware released today a later release than 4.8.511042 ?

I also experience the same dropouts with the latest firmware. I switched to the lineout of my TV for now, which I assume is an analog signal. It uses the headphone out of the TV, and I set the TV (LG oled) to line out. The cable then goes into the line in of the Wiim pro.

This seems to work fine for now, but I'd prefer to use the optical out.

Unfortunately my TV doesn’t have a line out. I could buy an optical to line out DAC, which doesn’t cost much, but seems kinda pointless just to fix an issue. I submitted a ticket to Wiim support which they acknowledged they are looking into but no response yet.

Unfortunately my TV doesn’t have a line out. I could buy an optical to line out DAC, which doesn’t cost much, but seems kinda pointless just to fix an issue. I submitted a ticket to Wiim support which they acknowledged they are looking into but no response yet.
Tv doesn't even have a headphone socket? Unusual!

Back