WiiM Pro TOSLINK out to Linn Majik DSM - Volume Blast Spotify

Upstairs-Room

Hi, my WiiM Pro is connected to a Linn Majik DSM /2 (2015 Variant) via the supplied TOSLINK optical cable.

When I start Spotify and select the WiiM Pro as the destination, there is a shockingly loud 1 second volume blast, even if the Linn DSM volume is set to 0 (zero). This cannot be good for the speakers, let alone for neighbor relations...
  • The WiiM Pro is set to fixed volume output (100%) which I have read is the optimal setting for this kind of setup.
  • Audio setting is 96 khz / 24 bit.
  • Internet connection is via ethernet and Wifi is turned off.
  • The WiiM Firmware is always the latest as I reboot the WiiM daily to check for updates.
Has anyone experienced similar issues and knows of a fix? For the record, I have a WiiM Mini too and experienced the same problem.

Thanks in advance for any pointers...

Last edited:
Thank you, will give that a try. I've also ordered a Coax cable to see if that might make a difference...

I do and I will, but of course was hoping for the digital bit perfect transport via TOSLINK (or Coax). But yes, it would be interesting to see if there is a similar effect via the analog interconnects. Will give it a go this evening...

I do and I will, but of course was hoping for the digital bit perfect transport via TOSLINK (or Coax). But yes, it would be interesting to see if there is a similar effect via the analog interconnects. Will give it a go this evening...
To be clear, I meant an analog interconnect from the pro's coax to your dac.

Ah! Thanks for the clarification, I had misunderstood. That makes sense; will try that out and report back.

Ah! Thanks for the clarification, I had misunderstood. That makes sense; will try that out and report back.
No problem - I think it was me that wasn't very clear first time!
I know "digital" interconnects are a thing, due to impedence rating, but when I swapped out my analog interconnect I was using for a proper digital one, well, no difference that I could hear.

I've a Linn MDSM/4 to which I have a WiiM Mini connected via optical and a WiiM Pro connected via coax, with both set to 24/192 (iirc, the /2 only supported up to 24/96) and I don't experience any such issue using Spotify free.

Does this only happen if you try to cast to your WiiM devices from Spotify? Can you try casting other audio to your Pro, say using airplay, chromecast or Bluetooth?

Must admit I'm confused that the DSM produces any sound if its volume is set at zero - is it on the latest firmware?

See this post on the Spotify forum where clearing cache seemed to fix a similar issue

Wow - thank you for finding this. I must say I can definitely relate to this statement: "And with my 300 watt speakers this gives a shocking blast that almost kills my speakers (and heart)." So much so that I am nervous to try the aforementioned tests... but I have to and will. Good to know clearing the Spotify cache does not remove songs downloaded for offline use, see screenshot.

Side note - my MDSM/2 is connected to an Exaktbox-I with M140 speakers, so you can probably understand just how loud that blast is. I see you have the M109s - which I absolutely adore, both as passive and Aktiv.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 18.54.15.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 18.54.15.png
    213.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
I've a Linn MDSM/4 to which I have a WiiM Mini connected via optical and a WiiM Pro connected via coax, with both set to 24/192 (iirc, the /2 only supported up to 24/96) and I don't experience any such issue using Spotify free.

Does this only happen if you try to cast to your WiiM devices from Spotify? Can you try casting other audio to your Pro, say using airplay, chromecast or Bluetooth?

Must admit I'm confused that the DSM produces any sound if its volume is set at zero - is it on the latest firmware?
Apologies, I missed this earlier. I have only cast Spotify and Amazon Music HD and as far as I remember this behavior has only happened with Spotify. My DSM has the latest firmware 4.99.491. I recall that the DSM firmware 4.97.475 addressed the following issue: "Fixed #8148: Spotify Connect volume jump when connecting to older DSes from an iOS 16 device." It had happened to me before then, albeit not via a WiiM device but straight from the iPhone. Source: https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/ReleaseNotes

I will make time this weekend to test. This is how I plan to go about it, changing one parameter at a time... or any other suggestions?

Attachments

• spotify-test-schema.png
    spotify-test-schema.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 20
My Pro has been doing the same for the past couple weeks. When disconnecting from Bluetooth, whilst playing anything (BBC radio, Spotify). I haven't tried it yet when disconnecting the optical whilst playing Amazon HD music. It blasts out at the Amp, as well as my Echo, where it has been streaming from.

Must be something in a recent firmware update.

Just a note to say I have not forgotten about this, simply had unexpected other things to tend to this weekend. I will do the testing at next best opportunity and post results here.

Back