Dirac live room correction support

Dileepa

Please add Dirac live room correction to wiim mini - this would be an amazing way to bring room correction to the masses and dramatically would enhance music quality 😍

Goals - effective room correction for the masses
1. Easy to use and setup for people who aren’t technically minded, might get daunted with PEQ and other tools.
2. Effective room correction like with Dirac
3. Doesn’t require extra hardware to setup (bar maybe a high quality measurement mic)
4. Has headroom for pro’s to configure.
5. Costs less than available alternatives.

Last edited:
Please add Dirac live room correction to wiim mini - this would be an amazing way to bring room correction to the masses and dramatically would enhance music quality 😍
This question has been asked before and WiiM Support did not answer.

Dirac licensing STARTS at $99/unit. Are you willing to pay extra for it? It will add significantly to the cost of the Pro. Oh, and you need a calibrated microphone, another cost add, and possibly their $349 software suite.

Dirac licensing STARTS at $99/unit. Are you willing to pay extra for it? It will add significantly to the cost of the Pro. Oh, and you need a calibrated microphone, another cost add, and possibly their $349 software suite.

With that cost, it’s not happening.

An alternative would be to add a convolver to WiiM's upcoming parametric equalizer and provide your own room correction fir filters. You can even generate them for free with the open source DRC project. Or paid apps like Acourate.
I now use DRC filters with a nuc pc in our main system and if WiiM would add a convolver I would get a second WiiM Pro and replace the nuc with it.

Absolutely willing to pay that. It’s cheaper when considering the only direct alternative is mini dsp and that’s easily double $349 if you need optical out in the signal path. Not to mention another device and a load of faff.

It’s still significantly cheaper than getting Dirac via anything else (except the lowest end mini dsp) which has no optical and would be another device to degrade the signal path and add to cable vomit. The only mini dsp with Dirac and optical is $700+ and has no streaming at all.

@Dileepa yes to everything you said, miniDSP devices are old, clunky, expensive and missing many desirables like MQA, so Wiim will nail this segment of market if they decide to offer dirac.

Last edited:
@WiimFan 🤞🏾they enter the Dirac market. They’ll totally disrupt what’s there and it would be an amazing sound improvement for people.

An alternative would be to add a convolver to WiiM's upcoming parametric equalizer and provide your own room correction fir filters. You can even generate them for free with the open source DRC project. Or paid apps like Acourate.
I now use DRC filters with a nuc pc in our main system and if WiiM would add a convolver I would get a second WiiM Pro and replace the nuc with it.
An alternative to your suggestions is compatibility with Room EQ Wizard. REW has a huge following already and is commonly used as an alternative to DIRAC. It's painfully easy to use as well and would probably not have any associated costs with being able to leverage direct output from the software.

An alternative to your suggestions is compatibility with Room EQ Wizard. REW has a huge following already and is commonly used as an alternative to DIRAC. It's painfully easy to use as well and would probably not have any associated costs with being able to leverage direct output from the software.
This is probably me just highlighting my lack of technical ability 😂 but I find REW and convolver a bit daunting.

I think the real advantage of Dirac is how it guides people like me through the process and makes it easy, but leaves headroom for pros who can do advanced stuff.

So if Wiim could implement a solution that's as good quality as Dirac and as easy to use, or easier that would bring quality EQ, and by extension quality sound to the masses.

Dirac doesn't do magic. It's simple. That's it. With a parametric EQ/ convolver you can do the same basically for free. I've used Dirac before and was never happy because it's not without bugs.

I like Dirac (and use my WiiM Pro to feed a processor with Dirac Live Bass Control!) but here I side with the people who say PEQ is just as well for WiiM. Where Dirac shines is in integrating subwoofers and providing a wide are with smooth and uncolored bass. But that requires multiple channels, and DLBC. For 2 channel with no subs its value is less obvious.

The challenge with Peq and other tools that require more technical skill is it might seem simple but for me (and others that’s quite complex).

There was a darko video that said with equalisers etc is people just don’t know what to do with them. He even said he was that person (which is why he gets Dirac pro Terry to change his Dirac curves, not him).

Same with REW and same with other tools…I’m definitely one of those people 😂

I just want a tool to do it for me.

So I guess it comes down to what problem are we solving here? And for who?

Are we giving people more skilled, relative to me, tools to do their thing? (Peq already exists I think) or access to free tools that are a bit complex

Or

Are we giving people like me who’d be confused using peq, REW etc access to something like Dirac that’s simple and guided, with headroom for pro config?

I’d say there’s no reason they couldn’t do both so don’t think these have to be exclusive.

But it’s worth noting that these are two different problems, for two different types of consumer that have two different solutions. Though the latter option has room to serve both segments.

However Wiim’s mission seems to be bringing great sound to the masses and they are doing that with both cost and simplicity.

I think something easy and effective is more consistent with a product that is going to serve a broad segment of people.

Back