Is there an 'off'?

guy48065

Does this thing ever go to sleep? I have a little volts/amps dongle inline and every time I walk by the system it's 'idling' at .5A. That seems very much awake to me. Same reading if it's playing music (short peaks up to .65A), or the system has been off for days.
What does the power button on the remote do? Is it actually only for toggling the remote 12V?

Does this thing ever go to sleep? I have a little volts/amps dongle inline and every time I walk by the system it's 'idling' at .5A. That seems very much awake to me. Same reading if it's playing music (short peaks up to .65A), or the system has been off for days.
What does the power button on the remote do? Is it actually only for toggling the remote 12V?
The only off is at the plug itself.

I miss Off a lot too...
However, my Wiim Amp won't look into Skynet. It's only generating 4500 firewall logs a night. He'll stay in the cage. 😝

Inside the WiiM amp, there is an embedded Linux computer. So to respond to your WiiM phone app and maintain a WiFi connection, the always-on computer has to run which draws a small amount of current. Power off on your remote puts the system into a low-power standby mode.

It might be calibrated for that. With nothing plugged in to it it reads the no-load DCV and 0A.
Either way--it reads the volts & current to the device, not the output from the supply.

I'm not saying this streamer is a power hog. I'm just reporting what I see & suggesting it's never really inactive.
In another thread a poster commented he sees 450 router log entries over night caused by his WiiM.

Last edited:
The power supply is 5V, correct? And you're measuring between the power supply and the DAC? Then it's only using 2.5W in idle - and if it's off for an entire month, that's 2.5*24*30 = 1.8 kWh of power. That's not much to worry about...

The power supply is 5V, correct? And you're measuring between the power supply and the DAC? Then it's only using 2.5W in idle - and if it's off for an entire month, that's 2.5*24*30 = 1.8 kWh of power. That's not much to worry about...

The WiiM is cheap music. If it saves you one album or CD per month you are saving money.

I'm not saying this streamer is a power hog. I'm just reporting what I see & suggesting it's never really inactive.
In another thread a poster commented he sees 450 router log entries over night caused by his WiiM.

Back