My WiiM Amp experience

Response from WiiM:

”The current standby mode via remote does not power off the speaker output (we'll release new firmware to address this issue). Therefore, you will need to unplug the WiiM Amp to connect your speaker.

As for the static issue, rest assured that our device has successfully passed ESD tests as per UL and FCC/CE standards. These tests include 4Kv contact and 8Kv air tests, ensuring robust electrostatic discharge protection.”

Last edited:
Also, see updated notes on use of the USB input

USB disk is a strange and confusing way to describe a USB stick.

I already noticed the power issue with the USB - but the other thing which will cause confusion is the USB doesn't appear until after a considerable time (obviously it scanning / indexing the music on the USB). I am going to measure roughly how long someone should wait given a certain number of tracks on a usb.

The really nice thing I noticed is its totally standard UPNP - so my small test collection of various formats and bitrates on the usb stick that I tried last night was available on other devices in my house. Even my Denon AVR picked it up in their Heos App,

Yeah, as I said, I meant to time it but was distracted - I have the attention span of a fish ;)

It probably took it 30-40 mins at least to index approx 20k tracks on a 1TB SSD - remember it’s writing its cache and track artwork back to the disk too.

Semantics, surely? A USB stick appears as a disk drive when you connect it to a PC , as does a USB external drive.

I perhaps wouldn’t have been as definitive as the HDD/standard usb disk split they have as my 1TB SSD drive needed additional power.

Looks good just a pity USB current isn't enough for 2.5" HDD. That way use a near silent 2.5" laptop HDD for mass storage

@Brantome where did you purchase your Wiim Amp? Did you get an early release as they are not widely available in the UK yet it seems? They don't have it listed their Amazon UK store.

@Brantome where did you purchase your Wiim Amp? Did you get an early release as they are not widely available in the UK yet it seems? They don't have it listed their Amazon UK store.
I think it’s widely known here in the forum that I (along with others) was offered a test unit by WiiM.

Plus as happened with the WiiM Pro and Pro Plus, the USA market tend to get first pickings with other regions following at least 4 to 6 weeks behind them. Indeed the French Audiophonic website recently updated their WiiM Amp delivery estimate to 28 December - 04 January which would fit in with that. Going by previous experience, it will likely appear on Amazon UK in the coming weeks but with their usual “unavailable/not sure if/when it’ll come back into stock” message which is then followed by a pre-order update. Who knows, it might appear earlier to allow Santa to have one in his sack, but my money would be on January general availability but that could change.

Wiim have just said “…we have distributors in the UK/EU who will be getting inventory as well as our own Amazon listings. We hope to have stock available late next week.”

Edit: sorry, WiiM have just revised that till the end of December :(

Last edited:
Looks good just a pity USB current isn't enough for 2.5" HDD. That way use a near silent 2.5" laptop HDD for mass storage
So, I have been testing various USB drives and the current draw is crucial - I hope WiiM can implement a warning when the USB requires more current, as I have 2 SSD's - one brand new 2TB SSD looked fine for a while and then I think spikes in its current draw (I was measuring the current via a USB power meter) - while an older Samsung 1TB SSD seems to have a stable current draw and is working very well in the WiiM amp). I was thinking the issue with some of the media but I have both SSDs with the same content and using the same SSD USB adapter.

The only issue I have with this 1TB drive is because its nearly full of tracks searching for a specific track using the 'track' search functionality the MiniDLNA "server" on the WiiM and I have to restart the box for it to appear again.

2 TB thumb drives are pretty cheap. 30 bucks on sale. I am astounded the way storage has evolved. I still have 64GB sticks that were the top end of capacity in their day. I have SSD drives that I saved from old laptops. I made them portable with a USB cable, but they are loud. We sure came a long way from cassette storage boxes in our cars.

It mounts like a disk, has a file system like a disk, quacks like a disk (OK, maybe not the last), but to the OS, it's bulk storage, traditionally referred to as a disk. (See the "Save" icon on GUI applications if you've forgotten....)

Wiim amp now for 2 weeks......this unit was so cool to get unboxed and fired up......replacing a PS audio sprout 100 and Wiim pro streamer.
Now just FYI I have a set of Omega super 8 single driver alnico hemp cone speakers and they have had some pricey amps drive them. These speakers are super efficient and very descriptive. I wanted an all in one unit and not all the thousands wrapped up into it. The Sprout is a super unit and did well.
NOW....the Wiim amp has all the tech stuff I wanted in an amp and streamer. BUT as soon as I started listening I was let down BIGLY. The sound was like a poor fm radio.....What the heck to do.
Well I suffered through a week of listening for 2 hours a night and what do ya know.....she started coming around......it's now hitting way above it's price. Opened right up.....smooth with great soundstage and depth.
I would venture to say I would have to add zeros on to the price to get better audiophile sound.
Wish it had aux input/ output for upgrading DAC but I'm happy now. I wish I had the 10s of thousands I spent the last 30 years on hifi......don't get addicted.....

Thank you. A long break in is very common with these chip amps. Mine is coming today. I guess I'll wait a bit to judge sounds quality....

Guess it's a little bit overdue due to personal circumstances and real life getting in the way, but here's my experience with the WiiM Amp over the 2 to 3 weeks I’ve had it. I appreciate it isn’t a review as such (those more experienced in these matters already have had their say) but hopefully it’ll still be of interest to those thinking of buying the Amp.

Unboxing

As I posted on first receiving it, the WiiM Amp comes across as a substantial and somewhat classy looking item from the packaging (37x26x8cm) thru to the unit itself. As Darko said in his first look blog, "If you’ve unboxed a Macbook or Macbook Pro, you’ve already unboxed the WiiM Amp. The WiiM’s box dimensions, material structure, graphic design and slow-release lid are all extremely similar to Apple’s”.

View attachment 3690 View attachment 3691 View attachment 3695

As well as the unit itself, you get a remote (the same as used for the other WiiM devices) and the expected power, RCA and HDMI cables which again appear to be of a better quality than previously.

Some of the initial challenges I faced in trying out the Amp were nothing to do with the Amp itself – despite having used hi fi gear for half a century or more, I only really have a single main music system, my oft mentioned Linn MDSM/4 and 4 ohm M109 speakers (see https://www.stereophile.com/content/linn-majik-109-loudspeaker-specifications).

I do have a second small Denon Piccolo system in my summerhouse, so I intended to use its SC-N4 6 ohm speakers (see https://www.hyperfi.co.uk/speakers/denon-sc-n4-ceol-piccolo-bookshelf-speakers-scn4-white) to connect to the Amp.

However, despite having three large boxes of interconnect cables collected over the years (which hi fi user doesn’t have such boxes?), I unbelievably didn’t have any speaker cable or banana plugs, so had to order those and wait a few days for them to arrive.

I found these banana/BFA plugs (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B6398YX1) were a good fit for the WiiM Amp (thanks again @onlyoneme), and ordered a few metres of KabelDirekt 2x2.5mm² Pure Copper Stereo Audio Speaker Wire & Cable (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B098NS8FD3).

Setup & Use

Once I had all the pieces in place, the WiiM Amp was the same as the Mini/Pro/Pro Plus in being very easy to setup from the WiiM Home app: it connected to Wi-Fi straight away then checked for latest firmware version.

There’s no real difference in WiiM Home app for the Amp other than a subwoofer entry under Audio Settings, apart from the omission of an Audio Outputs section that I’ve reported to WiiM. Without that, there doesn’t appear to be a way to select Bluetooth output nor Airplay casting that are mentioned in the WiiM Amp user guide. That also means you can’t choose whatever digital filters the Amp’s DAC may have. I’m sure this is a temporary bug in the app/firmware that will be resolved in short order.

That apart, all the features we have in the Pro and Pro Plus are there for the Amp, so it’s a piece of cake to get it up and running. The Squeezelite client is also available straight out of the box.

Using a TAPO P110 monitoring smart plug, the Amp appears to draw around 15w when playing at half volume which is loud enough for normal listening (and maybe a little overloud at 65-70db (spl) according to my phone sound meter app) in my surroundings and with the speakers I’m using. That drops to 6w in standby/off. The Amp unfortunately doesn’t have a physical on/off switch which I’d prefer on a mains unit given where I need to plug it in.

Like all things, how the Amp sounds is very dependent on the speakers you use with it, your room acoustics, preferences and hearing and so on. I've been using the Amp off and on in a relatively small room with the aforementioned Denon speakers as well as in a slightly larger room with my much better Linn M109 speakers. I find it eminently listenable in both setups, but of course more so with the better speakers. My sonic vocabulary doesn't extend much beyond that but I can say it does have a slightly glassier, more brittle sound at higher volumes compared to my usual amp which cost ten times as much, so there’s maybe no surprise there.

USB connected media

I first tried a SanDisk Cruzer Fit 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive with a dozen or so albums copied across to it and it immediately appeared as a Media Server called WiiM Amp-F80C:Media Server under the Home Music Share option in the WiiM Home app.

Things didn’t go so well with my 4TB external Seagate HDD – the Amp doesn’t supply enough amperage so the disc just was just clicking off and on. I had to use a Y connector cable connected to a USB power outlet to get drive operational. It took a long time to discover all music tracks on the drive as it was a backup of my entire music, photos and documents – it was probably a bad first choice to try.

I then purchased a "SanDisk 1TB Extreme Portable SSD, USB-C USB 3.2 Gen 2, External NVMe Solid State Drive" and copied some files across, but the Amp failed to recognise it. So I reformatted it from exFat to NTFS and tried again to no avail (the Amp supports either filesystem – not sure which others though). Turns out that it needs around 1.2A to drive it, but as the Amp USB slot is only rated for 0.63A as measured by @onlyoneme, I had to order another USB Y cable to power it externally. When that arrived a few days later, I was able to copy just my music files to it - around 20k tracks, mixed FLAC and MP3.

It still took the Amp a little while to index all the entries: I had intended to time it but was diverted and I'd guess it took at least half an hour even with that fast SSD. I don't know if the WiiM Amp processes all this or whether the WiiM app on an arguably more powerful phone is in anyway involved. I suspect it’s just the Amp itself.

Also, the indexing generated multiple entries after power down/up during initial tests but that perhaps has been already been resolved by newer firmware.

The resulting music library appears under Home Music Share like any other UPNP/DLNA server - indeed it looks like off the shelf UPNP server code with menu entries for Browse Folders, Music, Pictures and Video, with Music leading to Album, All Music, Artist, Folders, Genre, Playlists and Recently Added, the last of which doesn’t appear to show anything.

View attachment 3692 View attachment 3693 View attachment 3694

The Amp creates a wiim_cache folder on the drive containing a files.db file which I guess is the index, plus an art_cache folder which replicates your music folder(s) hierarchy with a jpeg entry for every track in those folders, which leads to a high degree of duplication. In my case for roughly 20k tracks, those files and database take up 1.2GB on my USB drive.

There are no configuration options for this UPNP server - it's a fairly simple structure but probably sufficient for most casual users.

After indexing, the UPNP server is responsive and performs well in use.

I'd say the use of the USB port to access music files is probably mainly for casual or adhoc use, or for those with a relatively small library, as I'd guess those with a larger library would already have it set up on a NAS with the server software of their choice such as MinimServer, AssetUPNP or alternatives like LMS, Plex etc.

Subwoofer

I don’t normally use a subwoofer as I'm not a fan of subs for stereo music listening so had to press my Echo Studio into use and the results weren't good as might be expected with a proper subwoofer - but that's nothing to do with the WiiM Amp. For the use of a subwoofer, you’d be better consulting other users.

However, trying that gave me the chance at least to view the Subwoofer option in the amp and try the sliders. See the attached screenshot

View attachment 3696

The crossover frequency also acts as a high pass filter with the low frequencies going to the subwoofer, and only the higher frequencies going to the speakers as already been answered both in Darko’s article and here in the forum by @onlyoneme.

HDMI arc in

I fed the output from my Samsung Frame TV from its HDMI eARC socket into the WiiM amp HDMI ARC (not eARC) connection and was able to use the Amp for audio output which it did well, but only after I had to make some changes to my TV’s audio output which is normally set for Dolby Digital as I normally use its eARC socket for my Fire TV Stick 4K Max/ Echo Studio in home theatre mode. After changing the TV sound to PCM, the Amp sprung into life. As per the Amp manual “The HDMI ARC and optical input port on the WiiM Amp are tailored for stereo PCM audio. It does not support other TV audio formats like Dolby Digital, Dolby Atmos, or DTS”, so if your Amp doesn’t play any TV sound when connected over ARC, check your TV’s sound settings.

When turned on, the TV did eventually appear to switch the Amp’s input to HDMI. I wouldn’t say it was instantaneous, maybe even as long as 20-30 seconds. As someone used to using the app to switch sources, that didn’t bother me. On turning off the TV, the Amp didn’t switch back its previous Wi-Fi input, which again I didn’t see as an issue.

The TV remote could be used to control the Amp volume, which I accidentally discovered when using the WiiM app to change to Wi-Fi rather than HDMI without first turning off the TV. I would say there should be a separate volume control for each input on the amp as the sound blared out when I switched to Wi-Fi after listening to the TV.

Verdict:

Overall, I think WiiM have another winner on its hands with the WiiM Amp. It certainly generates a great first impression due to the quality of the packaging and the design, look and feel of the product itself. It is very easy to set up, has same large range of features and supported services as its successful sibling products, and sounds very good when matched with even modestly price speakers. I can see it being a great starter or second system for a lot of people, and at its £299 price it's an absolute bargain.

Footnote:

I noted with interest in Darko’s article that he mentioned the “static” apparently killing the amp. I experienced similar and wondered whether I’d fried my test unit when I was swapping speakers (I had already used the remote’s power off button to turn it off). It took a fair bit of rebooting and sweat till I finally got it back up and running, eventually having to connect it over Ethernet as Wi-Fi wasn’t cutting it during re-setup. Hopefully WiiM can address this issue.
So…. How does this amplifier compare soundvice with the Linn MDSM4 ? Its probably the same tpa3255 or tpa3251 chip inside both amplifiers, but the Linn amplifier might have PFFB and a better powersupply.

Back