WiiM Amp Airplay and Denon HEOS Sonos Apps

Tommyboy

I’m new to streaming other than from my iPhone to my Wiim Mini. I’m currently using Tidal Connect to my Mini. I would like to purchase a WiiM Amp and use it in my office with passive speakers next to the amp and add multiroom functionality as easily as possible. I have my Mini connected to a 1980s analog amp in the living room. For other rooms Airplay seems to make the most sense. My question: I’m looking at the Sonos Roam and the Denon Home 150. Can I use Airplay and not have to deal with the Sonos or HEOS apps at all when using a Sonos or Denon speaker? Thanks!

The Sonos Roam and Denon Home 150 both appear to be Airplay 2 compatible so while you could Airplay cast to them and the Mini from the WiiM Amp, you couldn’t be using the Amp’s speakers at the same time as it only supports one audio output interface at a time.

The Sonos Roam and Denon Home 150 both appear to be Airplay 2 compatible so while you could Airplay cast to them and the Mini from the WiiM Amp, you couldn’t be using the Amp’s speakers at the same time as it only supports one audio output interface at a time.
I see. If I went with Airplay capable speakers in the office near the Amp then I could cast to all of them at the same time, correct? Thank you.

Yeah, that should be ok. It’s just a pity that in a situation like that the amp is relegated to just being a transmitter. Another option would be to use a WiiM Pro as the transmitter which could then airplay cast to the Amp, Mini, Sonos and Denon. Note however that transmission is limited to 16/48 and there may be issues with syncing which shouldn’t be an audible issue if none of the speakers are within earshot of another.

Sorry to be dense about this but there are so many options. I have no special love for Airplay. I was just trying to save money by not buying more WiiM devices. If I want to start by getting the WiiM Amp and use it with my current passive speakers in my office, I could transmit from my current WiiM Mini attached to my analog stereo in my living room? Then later I could pick-up a Plus or Pro to use with other speakers. Is that right? I think I was stuck on thinking I had to broadcast from the Amp but if I can transmit from any of them, then I have a lot more choices!

Last edited:
I would recommend against using AirPlay as the sole bridging technology between all the speakers, and instead stick to the one other system (in addition to WiiM) that best suits your needs, which I think would be Sonos as it appears to have better TIDAL support.

If you want to play everything in sync (the WiiM at this point being the limiting factor) then you'll still have to resort to AirPlay, but for all other times you can make use of the better streaming protocols available.

Last edited:
Sorry to be dense about this but there are so many options. I have no special love for Airplay. I was just trying to save money by not buying more WiiM devices. If I want to start by getting the WiiM Amp and use it with my current passive speakers in my office, I could transmit from my current WiiM Mini attached to my analog stereo in my living room? Then later I could pick-up a Plus or Pro to use with other speakers. Is that right? I think I was stuck on thinking I had to broadcast from the Amp but if I can transmit from any of them, then I have a lot more choices!
The Mini as the baby of WiiM devices can’t transmit airplay, that’s reserved for the larger Pro/ Pro Plus/ Amp.

Thanks again Brantome. I’m afraid I’m miscommunicating or misunderstanding something. Your earlier comment about using the Pro to transmit reminded me of what I think is another option. Am I correct that the WiiM can transmit from WiiM device to WiiM device using WiiM's own Multi-Room Protocol? If that’s so, then if I forget about Airplay and make sure I connect a WiiM device to each speaker I can rely on WiiM’s own streaming protocol. Is that right? If it is, can I use either the Pro or the Pro Plus to transmit?

Thanks again Brantome. I’m afraid I’m miscommunicating or misunderstanding something. Your earlier comment about using the Pro to transmit reminded me of what I think is another option. Am I correct that the WiiM can transmit from WiiM device to WiiM device using WiiM's own Multi-Room Protocol? If that’s so, then if I forget about Airplay and make sure I connect a WiiM device to each speaker I can rely on WiiM’s own streaming protocol. Is that right? If it is, can I use either the Pro or the Pro Plus to transmit?
WiiM/Linkplay would be an easier option, although it's again currently limited to 16/48 which is more than good enough I'd say for multiroom use. The benefit of using only WiiMs means that even Minis can be in such a group either as the main or secondary device i.e. the one controlling the source being played. If I were buying first time, I'd probably wait till there's a sale on (say something like Amazon Prime events) and buy at least a Pro as they and later models have four times the RAM and twice the CPU power than the Mini, and future feature updates are more likely to come to them than the Mini. Plus they have better connectivity options. Having said that, the Mini is a great wee device if you're not bothered about future proofing etc

Speaking of which...

Brantome, thanks a ton for your patience and advice. I'm glad I feel like I am finally getting a correct understanding! I'll plan to go with WiiMs all around. I've already got the Mini so I'll start with that and the Amp and add speakers and Pros or Pro Plus' from there.

Last edited:
I ended up getting the WiiM Amp for my desk and a pair Sony SS-CS5s. I'm quite pleased with the results. I wasn't looking for super high end. I was looking for real good sound with the functionality of whole home audio and this seems to have done it. I've got a WiiM Mini connected to a higher quality amp in my living room and will switch that for a Pro and use the Mini for a portable speaker down the road. Thanks again for all the advice!

Back