WiiM Amp for DJs

Rultiz

Hey everyone

I'm currently using a Sonos Amp to connect my DJ mixer to my passive speakers.

The issue with the Sonos Amp is that the line input signal is converted to digital first, processed by the amp, converted back to analog and then send through to the speaker. This whole process introduces a substantial delay between input and output, which makes it unusable for DJing.

I'm keen to try out the WiiM Amp as an alternative, but would like to hear if people have experienced any sorts of delay when using the RCA inputs. Thanks!

Hey everyone

I'm currently using a Sonos Amp to connect my DJ mixer to my passive speakers.

The issue with the Sonos Amp is that the line input signal is converted to digital first, processed by the amp, converted back to analog and then send through to the speaker. This whole process introduces a substantial delay between input and output, which makes it unusable for DJing.

I'm keen to try out the WiiM Amp as an alternative, but would like to hear if people have experienced any sorts of delay when using the RCA inputs. Thanks!
The wiim amp will convert the analog input to digital and back again.
No idea what delay this might introduce.

Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately any level of AD and DA conversion will introduce enough delay to make it unsuitable for DJing.
Would be awesome to have direct output of analog sources in future iterations of the amp!

Thanks for the reply.
Unfortunately any level of AD and DA conversion will introduce enough delay to make it unsuitable for DJing.
Would be awesome to have direct output of analog sources in future iterations of the amp!
Most audio devices that perform any form of signal processing will introduce latency to the audio. It would be unsurprising that the Wiim amp could introduce a delay as it had to go through a analogue to digital to analogue conversion/processing before audio from the RCA is outputted to the speaker. Get an external amp (with no DSP) with 2 inputs and a Pro (plus) to combine Wiim streaming with low latency input for DJ purposes. The problem you describe with Sonos is likely present in the Wiim amp as well, apologies I can't confirm as this was one of the reasons I passed on the amp and just use pro/mini and keep any realtime audio separate.

WiiM have confirmed that the analog Input is converted to digital right in this forum and they did even name that ADC in use.

This is essentially important e.g. for applying digital EQ. For the use cases the amp was designed for it makes perfect sense. It's not a suitable device for DJing.

I can confirm there is a definite lag on AUX input for DJing. I have a FLX 10 and my Misses first heard it as we have the WiiM amp hooked up to Booth out were the dj controller is and a separate Active powered Thump speaker to the rest of the kitchen and she could hear a delay. I then tested that with the DJ Controller CUE headphones and it was a few milliseconds in front of the WiiM Amp output. Just to be sure I then took the right cannel to another JBL Powered speaker and left channel out to the WiiM and the WiiM was lagging. As you know that’s no good for mixing so an expensive purchase mistake for me. Pity because apart from that the other features and sound on the WiiM Amp are incredible.

Back